Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2021, 07:50 PM   #21

After having a close encounter with a probable insurance scam, I bought a dash cam and have it on whenever I am driving. I also have a camera mounted in the back window of my TT that I turn on just before we hit the road every day.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:09 AM   #22
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton04 View Post
My windshield gets pretty busy with my back up camera running for a rear view. Garmin 770 with its screen going. Can't forget the radio screen to see what's playing.
Seems like a lot of "stuff" in the front window. I only have 2 power outlets in the dash. Garmin gets power from a USB port. Rear camera already takes up one power spot. Can you use a splitter on power supply?

Which brand and model is most recommended? Is Amazon the best place to get one or someplace like Auto Zone? What size as card will I need for at least 8 hours of travel? Do they record on a loop like CC TV? I assume you can just remove SD card and copy to laptop if needed?

Thanks in advance for all the great contributions.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Seems like a lot of "stuff" in the front window. I only have 2 power outlets in the dash. Garmin gets power from a USB port. Rear camera already takes up one power spot. Can you use a splitter on power supply?

Which brand and model is most recommended? Is Amazon the best place to get one or someplace like Auto Zone? What size as card will I need for at least 8 hours of travel? Do they record on a loop like CC TV? I assume you can just remove SD card and copy to laptop if needed?

You can buy hardwire kits for most dash cams so you are not using up outlets. That also allows you to set up the dash cam to be be powered with ACC off so it continues to record motion and impact when vehicle is shut off.

I hardwired mine using a fuse tap and installed on the rear view. There is little obstruction of view. My TPMS and Furrion monitor sit on the dash.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210713_072330.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	258964

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 25LB
2021 Silverado 3500 HD CCLB
2018 Escalade ESV
2009 CTS-V
mpouls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #24

It's a must have! PLEASE get the biggest SD card that the device supports. Take a moment and configure it correctly. Make sure it can re-write...

Had a buddy get into a head on crash that had both front and rear cameras, but didn't bother to configure it to overwrite, so when his crash occurred, no recording of it because the card was full...

Its fun to be able to take a road trip and go back and grab some highlights from the drive.
2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn - 5.7 Hemi with 3.21 Gears
Max tow is 8500 LBS with 1788 Payload capability.
KJ6MTJ - John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ6MTJ - John View Post
It's a must have! PLEASE get the biggest SD card that the device supports. Take a moment and configure it correctly. Make sure it can re-write...

Had a buddy get into a head on crash that had both front and rear cameras, but didn't bother to configure it to overwrite, so when his crash occurred, no recording of it because the card was full...

Its fun to be able to take a road trip and go back and grab some highlights from the drive.
Never knew of a camera that had to be configured to overwrite except for some of the really cheap ones (under $50). The Rove cameras can be configured not to overwrite, but why?

The cigarette lighter receptacles on the Forester E-Series Ford chassis are powered all the time. It’s easy to run the cord to under the dash then up the A-pillar then under the forward headliner to the dash cam. I use a 128 gig card and it goes about 20 hours worth of video in five minute segments before it starts overwriting.

The Sharx brand cameras can be configured to continuously upload to a home based server but it’s a hassle to get it set up every day. And, at $500 and up they’re a little on the pricey side when compared to most dash cams.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post

Id make sure your dash camera has a feature that will allow LOOPING where is simply overwrites the data on your SD Card. Oldest 1st.
Most good quality camera will do this. Look on Amazon (reviews) Vantrue is excellent too

Each Camera will have a recommended SD Card size and capacity. Get the largest one you can that is compatible. Gives you more than 8 hrs cheap..

Yes, typically you pull the SD Card put it in a USB adaptor to your computer.
Some Cameras have software that will show your video where you can print, copy ect... and GPS Mapping. Again Partial to Vantrue Cameras

As for power, Id run the power to a 12v location in your fuse box. Use add-a fuse to a item that turns on when you turn the ignition maybe the Wipers or something like that. Plenty of videos online to show you how to install a add-a fuse.
Best of luck
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:56 PM   #27

A little late to the game. But I will add a few more tips. SD cards yes buy the max and buy two of them I have had them fail. Put it a zip lock bag in the center console or glove box. If you can wait try to buy them on Amazon black Friday sale. Great prices. Hit of miss if true van will be one of the offerings. But if they do and can't go wrong buying one.

On a side note after my wife's accident she called me. She was all right. I had her take out the SD card replace it with the formatted spare. Just a precaution so not to lose our proof of what really happened.

Tony, and Vicky
fenton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:29 PM   #28

F-35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I have a Garmin Dashcam 55. It has voice command. i just say 'OK Garmin, Take a picture' or 'Save video.'
I just said 'OK Garmin, Save video.' The dashcam is in wide angle and they were closer than they appear & LOUDER. (Taken Aug 3, 2021 on the Denali Highway, Alaska)

I caught four F-35s on my dashcam:

Name:	vlcsnap-2021-08-03 - 05-39-52.o.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	260945

Name:	vlcsnap-2021-08-03 - 05-39-57.o.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	260946

Name:	vlcsnap-2021-08-03 - 05-40-17.o.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	260947

Name:   vlcsnap-2021-08-03 - 05-40-17.z.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  5.0 KB

Name:	vlcsnap-2021-08-03 - 05-40-26.o.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	260949

Name:   vlcsnap-2021-08-03 - 05-40-26.z.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  9.2 KB
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #29

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I've been using one for a little over a year now....It's a Rove R2-4K I figured why not get one it can't hurt....So far never had any issues with other drivers.
I just picked up the Rove R2-4K myself. Great little unit! Yes...it's made in China but the company is based in Illinois and there is a whole series of instruction videos on YouTube. For just over $100 on Amazon it's well worth the money.
RJ Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote