Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #1
Defender of America

Dash Cam

I was on you tube the other day and came upon a series of "dash cam" videos from truckers. There was a lot of "brake checking" from cars to trucks.

I've also personally experienced that cars race down on-ramps to get ahead of me when I'm pulling my TT and some even think I am supposed to let them drive right thru me.

3 Questions -
1) What does everyone think of dash cams and do they help?
2) Is insurance fraud that lucrative that people will try to get you to run into them at 60 mph?
3) Are campers hated that much that other drivers will actively try to force you off the road?
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #2
Always Learning

I've had a Vantrue X4 for a couple of years now. Honestly, I got it for scenic drives, not for idiot drivers. I drive slow enough and defensive enough that I rarely have issues (and we RVed for 10 years and of that, fulltimed for 5 years, moving every 8 nights on average).

So...

1, get one if you want one.
2, no idea
3, not that I've experienced
Old 07-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
2) Is insurance fraud that lucrative that people will try to get you to run into them at 60 mph?
Big problem in the New Orleans area.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edla/pr...raud-insurance
Old 07-12-2021, 03:34 PM   #4

I can think of three reasons for dashcams:

1. Accidents that you are involved in (or others).

2. LEO traffic stops

3. Recording wildlife encounters.

I am getting one, but not sure which one.
PhilFromMaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #5

I've been using one for a little over a year now....It's a Rove R2-4K I figured why not get one it can't hurt....So far never had any issues with other drivers.

On our last trip an 18 wheeler that was in the center lane and I was in the right lane about 200yards back blew the left outside furthest rear trailer tire it was interesting to watch on the dash cam pieces of that tire flew up in the air about 20 or so feet luckly no pieces hit me and I didn't have to drive over anything.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:50 PM   #6

don't leave home with out it

Both of our vehicles are set up with dashcams. It saved us on a he said, she said. Wife in heavy rush hour traffic. Some one comes done the ramp and cuts off a vehicle several cars in front of her. Starts a chain reaction but wife stops short of the vehicle in front of her. The dashcam records her saying "Wow I stopped just in time" Then wham she gets hit. The driver in front of her needs an ambulance. State highway patrol takes report. She is at work and I get the call. His insurance guy says his guy who hits her claims she hit the driver in front of her. He only rear ended her. I tell his insurance guy that's not what the dash cam shows. He said "dashcam I need a copy of that" I told him our insurance guy has a copy to call him. Our insurance guy calls us and said we were good. A pretty good outcome for a 70 dollar investment. OBTW the ambulance for the kid was from when he hit the car in front of him. My wife was not injured.

I have about a dozen incidents of being cut off on our tow vehicle dash cam but luckily no contact. But I am ready with visual proof if need be.

Tony, and Vicky
fenton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post

2. LEO traffic stops

Really? Just about every PD has their own cameras and recordings can be had just by filing an OPRA request. Those cameras have saved my bacon plenty of times from lying civilians making BS claims against me.

So yes, I'm a big believer in dash cams, I have a Vantrue in every car I operate, because if something becomes a he said/she said thing video is good to have. The Vantrue is high quailty, reliable, and fairly priced, especially black friday or holiday sales. Not only do I have the Vantrue on my pickup front window, but my Haloview observation cam records stuff behind me as well.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #8

I have a dash cam and rear window cam. Yes, it is a dash cam in my back window Paranoid? Maybe Driving 57 years never had an accident. Except for being rear ended. Too many to count. Ughh!

I let the cameras run 24/7. Has not run the battery down yet. Even after sitting 3 days. Very low current draw.

Also have another in the box ready to install in back window of trailer before next camping trip.

Seriously considering side view cameras for the trailer. But that is mostly for backing up and maneuvering in the dead zone.

Stay safe.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:30 PM   #9

Have Vantrue in our car. Excellent dash cam for the price. Yes I did get it on a black Friday sale. My tow vehicle I bought a Toguard just for the ability to turn the screen off when towing. Also you plug in the USB on top of the unit. Vantrue from the bottom and sometimes gravity causes it to lose power. Kind of annoying. My windshield gets pretty busy with my back up camera running for a rear view. Garmin 770 with its screen going. Can't forget the radio screen to see what's playing.

Tony, and Vicky
Old 07-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I've been using one for a little over a year now....It's a Rove R2-4K I figured why not get one it can't hurt....So far never had any issues with other drivers.

On our last trip an 18 wheeler that was in the center lane and I was in the right lane about 200yards back blew the left outside furthest rear trailer tire it was interesting to watch on the dash cam pieces of that tire flew up in the air about 20 or so feet luckly no pieces hit me and I didn't have to drive over anything.

Another for the Rove R2 4K.

Have them in all our vehicles.

That said I’ve mainly used the footage for some scenic portions of drives and sending a specific campground road to some people here since they heard it was a bad approach.

Couple trips ago we had a semi come blasting by in the left lane and move over just before hitting the barrels where his lane closed for construction. I saw him coming in the mirrors and had let off the gas already but would have been glad to have the footage had he moved over too soon.

Personal choice but rather have it and never need it than have something happen not have it.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Really? Just about every PD has their own cameras and recordings can be had just by filing an OPRA request. Those cameras have saved my bacon plenty of times from lying civilians making BS claims against me.

So yes, I'm a big believer in dash cams, I have a Vantrue in every car I operate, because if something becomes a he said/she said thing video is good to have. The Vantrue is high quailty, reliable, and fairly priced, especially black friday or holiday sales. Not only do I have the Vantrue on my pickup front window, but my Haloview observation cam records stuff behind me as well.
The operative words there are "just about every". Receiving FOIA or OPRA information can be time consuming and be a PITA. Not all jurisdictions execute the request in a timely fashion and sometimes, not at all.

I am purchasing one that records my speed, geographic coordinates, and time. It also needs to be adjustable around the horizontal plane when needed.
PhilFromMaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #12

I installed a Vantrue N2 Pro with GPS on my 2019 FR3, added an SD card.

3 Questions -
1) What does everyone think of dash cams and do they help? ABSOLUTLY
Possible, but more likely will save your ass when there is an accident where someone cuts you off or where you are not at fault. show the Police or insurance your video will save you money and possible DMV Points on your record or a ticket.
3) Are campers hated that much that other drivers will actively try to force you off the road?
In my Class A, cars all the time try to race ahead of me when merging or cut me off just so they dont have to be behind me for a few moments. That is my biggest gripe. People are in a rush or think I can stop my 28,000 RV on a dime.

Advice, if you are thinking of getting one... Do it.... Cheap insurance and you can have a video record of the cool places you visit.
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #13

Remember a dash cam works both way. It can record things that will support you. It can record things that might not be in your best interest. In that case it might be to your benefit to pop out your SD card and if anybody ask then tell them you lost it in a boating accident and never replaced it. Just sayin

Tony, and Vicky
Old 07-12-2021, 05:29 PM   #14

Quote:

2. LEO traffic stops

I have a Garmin Dashcam 55. It has voice command. i just say 'OK Garmin', 'Take a picture' or 'Save video.'
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:38 PM   #15

I have two. I had a Vantrue N-1 and was impressed with the video quality, so I bought a Vantrue X-1. I have one in my wife’s car, and the other in my truck. I always make sure I come to a complete stop at traffic lights and stop signs so that I have proof if anyone says I didn’t.
I’ve saved some fantastic video from long camping trips!
Virginian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #16

I have a VIOFO A129 in my truck and absolutely love it. There are so many crazy drivers out there. I wish I had one in my wife's car a few weeks ago when at a red light the moron in front of me put his car in reverse and hit me even with my laying on the horn as he kept going backwards. Needless to say, her car is next to get one.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #17

Quote:
The operative words there are "just about every". Receiving FOIA or OPRA information can be time consuming and be a PITA. Not all jurisdictions execute the request in a timely fashion and sometimes, not at all.

I am purchasing one that records my speed, geographic coordinates, and time. It also needs to be adjustable around the horizontal plane when needed.
several years back I was on a murder trial jury. What I found out during the trial that if you have a cell phone your geographic coordinates, and time are recorded and saved.. Just sayin....

Tony, and Vicky
Old 07-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #18

I have a Garmin Tandem that I keep in my truck. It has a front view and in vehicle view as well. All I have to tell the kids is I can check the video to see who hit who first and wow they are well behaved most of the time. Also it shows us wearing seat belts or not texting just in case...

I love it and it is small and uses wifi. I hard mounted it to my rear view. I keep it for all reasons stated above. Better to have and not need.

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 25LB
2021 Silverado 3500 HD CCLB
2018 Escalade ESV
2009 CTS-V
mpouls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:04 PM   #19

I also have the Rove cam in all vehicles. One can download any saved image directly to the iPhone or iPad via the Rove’s built in WiFi.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:15 PM   #20

I have been on the road most of my adult life. I started using dash cams when I first saw them, probably 8 to 10 years now. Have outlasted several. My last job had me on the road 330 miles a day. I had one on the front windshield and one on the back glass. Saved my butt several times! I got to the point that every time I was called into the office for "aledgedly" cutting someone off in traffic, etc., Id just ask supervisor if she wanted to view 12 hours of video to see if I did or not. When I get into my personal vehicle, I transfer both cameras to it, and back to company vehicle when I get into it. I will not drive a vehicle on the road without one. (Oops...2!)