Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
why mess with it when its under warranty ??? You would be asking for trouble if something bad happens to that engine..wait till the warranty is gone ..then go for it..
Yep, like I said at the very beginning, Ford is showing no mercy to people adding programmers or other aftermarket stuff. I want to buy a tuner for my F250, but don't want to give up my warranty just yet.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

I don't blame any manufacturer for voiding warranties when a "tuner" has been applied to the ECM. The tuners haven't done any long term testing and don't know the effects of their modifications. Ford had big issues with tuners on some of their diesels and learned a hard lesson. People were stretching head bolts! And some Ecoboost Taurus SHO owners have learned the hard way about engine damage.

Turbo engines can see big gains but you can also see big trouble. My truck works great in stock form and I'm not touching it.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #83

I added an Airaid cold air intake to mine - cleaner air
Next week I swap out the exhaust Catback system to a stainless steel one because we apply lots of salt on the roads here in NB Canada during the winter and spring.

my performance guy said to then look at headers but I may wait on that one. he said to avoid chips and stuff withthe Ford 3.5 because they don't need them.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #84

I hear ya acadianbob. Some of these tuners will add over 300 HP and the owner expects it to last like a stock truck
Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Next week I swap out the exhaust Catback system to a stainless steel one because we apply lots of salt on the roads here in NB Canada during the winter and spring.

my performance guy said to then look at headers but I may wait on that one. he said to avoid chips and stuff withthe Ford 3.5 because they don't need them.
Is your exhaust going to have dual outlets? Curious what a Ecoboost would sound like with a different exhaust.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post

I'd be careful. Modifying the exhaust on a turbo system can cause over-speed on the turbos because of reduced exhaust pressure. A turbo powertrain is a "complete system" that involves careful balance of all components. Your Airaid should be OK though.

Not trying to lecture. But I think the manufacturers know what they are doing. If there was real benefit in some of the changes, that doesn't effect longevity and driveability, I would think they would do it.

Anyway, I wish you success. Keep us posted on your experiences.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #87
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob

I'd be careful. Modifying the exhaust on a turbo system can cause over-speed on the turbos because of reduced exhaust pressure. A turbo powertrain is a "complete system" that involves careful balance of all components. Your Airaid should be OK though.

Not trying to lecture. But I think the manufacturers know what they are doing. If there was real benefit in some of the changes, that doesn't effect longevity and driveability, I would think they would do it.

Anyway, I wish you success. Keep us posted on your experiences.
Bob you truly don't believe your first and second statement do you?

Respectfully there both false.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Bob you truly don't believe your first and second statement do you?

Respectfully there both false.
Then explain to us why manufacturers don't send the product out the door with the aftermarket exhaust that adds 35 hp. If they could advertise that there product has an extra 35 hp and all they had to do to get it was include that other exhaust, you can bet your boots they would do it if it didn't introduce a compromise in another area.

Everything is a tradeoff, and the manufacturers have done tons of testing to get the best with the least compromises all around. Maybe it's just sound, maybe it's less low-end torque (which are both driveability issues that acadianbob mentioned), but any aftermarket device will have compromises.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #89

My 2011 Ecoboost

Pulled our Flagstaff V-Lite 21wrs to the races last week-end in 100+ heat, with 355 gears and never leaving 5th gear at 65 to 70 I averaged around 9.5 MPG. Complaints-none, I could actually increase speed on some pretty good grades. With our TT the Eco has plenty of power and pulls like a dream.
Brad Codding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
Bully dog looks like a good thing for the Eco boost to bad I would never buy a ford.

Quote:
Me either lol !
Then you better not drive one! You will have to either eat your words, or be disappointed that you drive an inferior product.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #91
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw

Then you better not drive one! You will have to either eat your words, or be disappointed that you drive an inferior product.
Don't think the eco toy could pull my
13, 000 lb 5er
Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #92

Quote:

Besides the weight issue he's already driving a superior product in every way... The only improvement he could make is to get an LML
Old 08-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #93
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Then explain to us why manufacturers don't send the product out the door with the aftermarket exhaust that adds 35 hp. If they could advertise that there product has an extra 35 hp and all they had to do to get it was include that other exhaust, you can bet your boots they would do it if it didn't introduce a compromise in another area.

Everything is a tradeoff, and the manufacturers have done tons of testing to get the best with the least compromises all around. Maybe it's just sound, maybe it's less low-end torque (which are both driveability issues that acadianbob mentioned), but any aftermarket device will have compromises.
Aftermarket exhaust is "louder" than oe exhaust. "Most" don't like that.
I bet ford performance has an exhaust kit for the eco boost.
There's ALWAYS the potential for improvement on oem .

Don't get Me wrong what ford has done with the eco boost is spectacular.
If you'd read the first post of this thread you'd clearly see I started it.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #94

Quote:
Don't think the eco toy could pull my
13, 000 lb 5er
No, the max rating is 11,300 (which is too much in a 1/2 ton IMO). But, you said you'd never buy a Ford. Ford does make more than the EB.

And, callign the EB a toy makes you sound rather uneducated about the EB. It'll go toe-to-toe with any V8 (gasser) available in a truck today, and run away from big blocks of just a few years ago.

A toy compared to a one ton diesel? Maybe, but compared to other half-ton trucks on the market, it's definitely no toy.

Quote:
Aftermarket exhaust is "louder" than oe exhaust. "Most" don't like that.
I bet ford performance has an exhaust kit for the eco boost.
There's ALWAYS the potential for improvement on oem .
True, but to make an improvement, you generally have to make a compromise in another area...driveability, fuel economy, longevity, etc. Noise is a driveability issue, and is a good reason OEM's put quieter, less powerful exhausts on.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #95
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I work on fords for the company I work for.
Which is one of the reasons why I won't buy one.

I hope great success come with the ecoboost .

I was just funnin with toy comment.

Ron
Old 08-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #96
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I work on fords for the company I work for.
Which is why I won't buy one.

I hope great success come with the ecoboost .

I was just funnin with toy comment.

Ron
Just wondering why if the ecoboost is such a wonderful, powerful beast, why is everyone making mods to them? Seems kinda strange. Think I'll keep my old Chevy.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #97
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

Just wondering why if the ecoboost is such a wonderful, powerful beast, why is everyone making mods to them? Seems kinda strange. Think I'll keep my old Chevy.
Same reason we mod our campers .
To make them better suit our needs.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #98
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Same reason we mod our campers .
To make them better suit our needs.
But we mod our campers for our own convenience, not performance.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I have only seen 1 person on this forum (milcop4523) claim that they modded their Ecoboost. This thread was started by a Goverment Motors owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
But we mod our campers for our own convenience, not performance.
So you put shocks on yours for looks then? How does that make your RV more convenient
Old 08-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #100
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
So you put shocks on yours for looks then? Never said anything about looks. How does that make your RV more convenient
Not for looks, for convenience of no bouncing/jerking in the cab of the truck.