Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Haven't seen him in ahwile. Last time was when he stuck his foot in his mouth talking bad about the U.S.
Maybe we should PM him to see if he's alright.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
Maybe we should PM him to see if he's alright.
Good one
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #123
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

OMG ... I have laughed till my chest hurts reading this thread.

I do believe all the trucks are pretty much even these days. I drive a Ram 1500 but am looking at Ram 3500's. I have a few friends with EB's and they love em. To be honest I think they have a pretty damn good truck too.

My dad was an SM at one of the largest Ford dealers in the country during the 60's. After he left he refused to ever drive a Ford again. I never did get the full story but when I came home with a new Bronco II in 88 he wanted to kick my @$$. In the end he was right on that purchase...it was a lemon from the go.

Anyway I figured I'd add a few acronyms I didn't see ....

F'ed Over Rebuilt Dodge (Dad's favorite)
Misc Odds Parts Arranged Recklesly
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
OMG ... I have laughed till my chest hurts reading this thread.

I do believe all the trucks are pretty much even these days. I drive a Ram 1500 but am looking at Ram 3500's. I have a few friends with EB's and they love em. To be honest I think they have a pretty damn good truck too.

My dad was an SM at one of the largest Ford dealers in the country during the 60's. After he left he refused to ever drive a Ford again. I never did get the full story but when I came home with a new Bronco II in 88 he wanted to kick my @$$. In the end he was right on that purchase...it was a lemon from the go.

Anyway I figured I'd add a few acronyms I didn't see ....

F'ed Over Rebuilt Dodge (Dad's favorite)
Misc Odds Parts Arranged Recklesly
I had an '86 Bronco II, and it went through 3 engines while I had it...cracked heads like no tomorrow. I got it with 120k (very rough) miles on it and traded it in at 150k. The rest of my Fords have been essentially flawless.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #125
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw

I had an '86 Bronco II, and it went through 3 engines while I had it...cracked heads like no tomorrow. I got it with 120k (very rough) miles on it and traded it in at 150k. The rest of my Fords have been essentially flawless.
2.9 motor?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
2.9 motor?
Yeah, gutless POS! Uphill with the A/C on in 5th gear was impossible!

The original was shot at 120k, so we had one out of a wrecked Ranger put in and it lasted 15k (it had 85k on it when we put it in). It had cracked heads, so had a rebuilt one put in. Before the 12 month/12k warranty was up, it cracked heads so I got a replacement free. Luckily, my father-in-law mechanic (a Chevy man BTW , who wasn't my FIL yet) did the labor for free the second time around. I had it a year after that until I was out of college and could afford a new vehicle.

Oddly enough, the only other thing to go wrong with it was a bad computer, a bad input bearing on the tranny, and a bad front hub.

About my FIL being a Chevy man, his daughter, was then a Chevy girl. Well, she brought a Chevy Cavalier into the marriage, and when it was time for a new car in '02, I told her to pick which vehicle she wanted, without my influence. She had never driven a Ford before (other than my F150). She looked at the Ford Escape and fell in love, so we bought one. Her next vehicle...an '09 Ford Flex. Again, I had given her the choice, and she drove several GM, Toyota, Chrysler, etc. products and chose the Ford. Now, my MIL, who has lived alone since my FIL passed away in '01 drives a Ford. She had never owned a Ford, and when it was time to replace her Impala in '09, she drove several vehicles (Equinox, Impala, Escape, Edge, etc.). She chose the Escape. But, she's one of those that tries to find problems with everything! "Can you look at my car, I think my speaker is blown". OK, which one, show me. Turn it up a little. Ahh, here's your problem. You see these coins here by this cup in the cup holder? When the base hits, they rattle. I don't think she will buy another Ford, because even though it has been flawless, she finds all of these things that she "thinks" is wrong with it, when in reality, nothing is wrong.

Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to relate my Ford/GM stories.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #127
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
I went through 1 head and 3 exhaust manifolds. I lived in Cali at the time and had to drive the Grapevine every day. That grade will do in a lot of cars/trucks with time. But that engine was a HUGE POS. Terrible cooling system led to all the problems.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #128

The Bronco II's were really bad. I knew a couple people who owned them and if I went through what they went through I probably would have swore off Ford for life.

My wife drives an 08 Escape and she loves this SUV a lot. It's a great little SUV. It's like driving a go-after driving my F250, lol. We looked at the new Escapes when we were looking for an F250 and the outside is sharp, but the inside is terrible looking.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #129
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri
The Bronco II's were really bad. I knew a couple people who owned them and if I went through what they went through I probably would have swore off Ford for life.

My wife drives an 08 Escape and she loves this SUV a lot. It's a great little SUV. It's like driving a go-after driving my F250, lol. We looked at the new Escapes when we were looking for an F250 and the outside is sharp, but the inside is terrible looking.
My ex father inlaw had a 2.9 ranger.
Yep pos.
Why they thought they could put a solid lifter cam in a general consumer vehicle is beond me ! Duh !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #130

have always preferd ceneral motors, currently have 08 ram cummings, decent fuel millage tows like nothing i have ever had. no mods to powertrain. this cummings is a tow beast straight from the factory, why buy something that needs componets added to it for improved towing and millage, RAM / CUMMINGS, package deal ready to work
Denny in Los Lunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny in Los Lunas View Post
have always preferd ceneral motors, currently have 08 ram cummings, decent fuel millage tows like nothing i have ever had. no mods to powertrain. this cummings is a tow beast straight from the factory, why buy something that needs componets added to it for improved towing and millage, RAM / CUMMINGS, package deal ready to work
Lots of TV's have plenty of power, but the quest for increased MPG, speed and power drive people to add tuners, exhausts, intakes etc. Nothing wrong with that as long as you realize you may void your warranty. The aftermarket for vehicles is doing quite well. I will eventually remove my Diesel Particulate Filter because it robs the vehicle of MPG. Does it make sense to reduce soot when it causes the vehicle to use more fuel? Doesn't to me.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #132

Quote:

Funny thing...I just drove my MIL's Escape yesterday, and I commented to my wife that it felt like a go kart compared to my F250!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Lots of TV's have plenty of power, but the quest for increased MPG, speed and power drive people to add tuners, exhausts, intakes etc. Nothing wrong with that as long as you realize you may void your warranty. The aftermarket for vehicles is doing quite well. I will eventually remove my Diesel Particulate Filter because it robs the vehicle of MPG. Does it make sense to reduce soot when it causes the vehicle to use more fuel? Doesn't to me.
Because the soot is carcinogenic maybe?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny in Los Lunas View Post
I'm always amazed at how people clamor on about how their vehicle is the best, but yet they can't even spell the name of their (very popular) engine properly!

ps...don't get mad, just a little joke...Cummins is spelled wrong about 90% of the time I see it online.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #135

I had a bronco II 5 speed loaded with power everything. I used it to tow my hardtop camper[ Bonair1200]
I sold it with almost 300k on it and no problems at all with the motor, I did do the input shaft bearing in the tranny.
tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #136
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It will be interesting to see how Ram's new tranny and suspension will do on the '13 1500's and how much of the new stuff will make it's way to the HD's (active shutters & air ride). Seeing as how I am in the market to upgrade to a 3500 I might wait to see what they do.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Because the soot is carcinogenic maybe?
That is correct, almost everything in excess is bad for your health and diesel soot is no exception. So once again the consumers of the U.S. pay more while a lot of the world's economies (read China) grows stronger because they don't follow the same restrictions. I'm all for cleaning up the air if everyone plays by the same rules. The U.S. has led the world in a lot of significant changes, let someone else take the lead for awhile.

Edit: I'm no expert and don't claim to be, these are my personnel feelings. Your mileage may vary.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
Funny thing...I just drove my MIL's Escape yesterday, and I commented to my wife that it felt like a go kart compared to my F250!
Geez, I just realized I left out "cart" . Glad you understood
Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #139

Quote:
Geez, I just realized I left out "cart" . Glad you understood
ha ha...I actually had to re-read it to catch the mistake...go cart just rolled off my tongue even though cart wasn't there.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #140

Pretty much a Ford man, except last two pick-ups have been Chev's, both 2500s. 98 had a 454 c. i. with some problems. 06 with 6.0 liter has beem almost flawless, 08 Taurus has beem flawless.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote