Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThruHiker View Post
We didn't have a party line, I don't think. I can still remember the phone number, though, as well as my grandparent's number... my mother used to talk to her mother about daily! Other phone numbers? Ha. Hell, I could barely remember my work number during my last job... that I had for fourteen years!

Oh, and who else liked Fireball XL5?? Yeah, dating myself there I know!
I still remember our phone number from 1970, which I had to learn as an assignment in the 1st grade - AT3-5840, but I struggle to remember my wife's cell phone number that I call several times per week.

Strangely, I also remember my phone number and my best friend's phone number from '73-'76, the house we moved to after that, from '76-'78... and then *none* of the numbers from after that.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #182

Not so long ago Power steering, power brakes, cruise control, AC, power windows, rear window defrosters were options and not on many cars.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #183

Ads.... See the USA in your Chevrolet ........ Ford has a better idea..............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Not so long ago Power steering, power brakes, cruise control, AC, power windows, rear window defrosters were options and not on many cars.

If you go back far enough, heaters were optional too.

The "perfect car" in the early 50's had "Radio, Heater, and White Wall tires.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsdpo View Post
I have an earlier version of your bike (in my barn). It is a 5-speed, stick shift Schwinn StingRay, narrow tires and a silver metal-flake banana seat. It is about a 1965 model if I recall. Just before I got my drivers license at 14 years old (I'd been driving my '42 Willys MB Jeep for a year or so out on the forest roads).
I also have an Exxon/Enco banana seat (tiger striped) bike that was my brother's. . . . yea, it's time to clean out the barn . . .
Yep, the Willys is still there. I just need time to get the brake kit put in that I bought when I put it in the barn . . .
I use to have to put those chopper bikes together as a teenager in my dad's bike shop, fun road tests around the block of course!
Another happy customer in the photo.Click image for larger version

Name:	20191227_111502.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	237616

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #186
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsdpo View Post
We still have Sinclair gas stations here in Montana. Though they are becoming an endangered species. The just built a new Sinclair convenience north of Gardiner, Mt at the north entrance to Yellowstone Park. They used to be in "downtown Gardiner", but just moved in the last year or so.
Growing up I remember a Richfield (long before ARCO), gas station in a nearby town. It got converted to a Sinclair station. The big attraction was to go there and get 10 gallons of gas and you'd get a green dinosaur shaped soap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2163974495_b7a7f460aa.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	237618  
Attached Images

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

When I was in high school looking through the Want Ad Press for a car, there were lots of people still advertising “radio and heat” and that was in the late 70s.

Speaking of Want Ad Press there is still a Want Ad Press building in Vermont that we pass on the way to ski. My 26 yo son got s kick out of that the first time he saw it.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenkyle05 View Post
I remember Western Auto, Ben Franklin and TV's going off the air at night. Sunday nights were Walt Disney movies.
I remember taking the vacuum tubes from our tv to the Western Auto to test and replace.

I completely forgot about Western Auto until going to Kansas City last year on business and seeing what had been their corporate headquarters.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:26 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

My first vehicle was a 1960 F100... only options(according to my father). One below eye view(side view) mirror and heater. No signals, no radio and no frills.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:28 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
I remember taking the vacuum tubes from our tv to the Western Auto to test and replace.

I completely forgot about Western Auto until going to Kansas City last year on business and seeing what had been their corporate headquarters.

My dad went to Eckerd Drugs for tubes
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #191
Site Team

Who remembers going to the movies and the film either breaking or burning up, and they having to stop the movie to repair it?

My kids don't believe me when I tell them about it

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Who remembers going to the movies and the film either breaking or burning up, and they having to stop the movie to repair it?

I have actual nightmares about this when in the army. I spent most of a year as the senior projectionist at the base theater where I was stationed.

Used to rush to the Projection Room after getting off work so I could inspect the film that had just come in. Had to run it through an "editor", using my fingers pinching the edges to locate breaks. Broken sprocket holes, lousy splices, and just plain lousy film.

The most frustrating was when the last projectionist forgot to rewind a reel or two and one of my "subordinates" would just put it on the projector. Film is now playing from the END back to the beginning. That usually generated a lot of shouts from below in the theater.

The extra money was nice but on hot summer nights, the arc-light Simplex projectors made the room close to 12O degrees.

A funny note, if the movie had any "risque" sceens in it, you could bet your best set of starched fatigues that there would be a splice there. Not only that, but the scene kept getting shorter as the various projectionists would cut one or two frames out. To combat this we had to include any damaged film we removed in a separate envelope when we sent the film cases on to the next base. The courier then sent the film pieces to the Special Services HQ.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #193

Do You Remember When

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

You mean like this?

I was 21 when The Muppet Movie came out. I took a date to see it. I honestly thought the film had jammed and burned. (She wasn’t nearly as upset about it as I was.) (She dumped me not too longer afterwards, too.)
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #194
Long time camper.

I remember no “plastic” stuff like bags, toys, trash cans and CARS!

SamTummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #195

Worked in my dads Alantic Richfield Station (later Changed to ARCO) pumping gas for .25 cents a gallon doing valve jobs and brakes out back, lube jobs and tires. We did it all. also washed windshields and checked oil and radiator levels and I only made 1.00 a hour. Remember getting our first black and white tv and only one channel which went off the air at night. with a test pattern leaving a white dot in the center glowing for hours later. Then first thing in the morning the channel came on with the national anthem playing. Also remember orange crush soda in a glass bottle for ten cents and a two cent deposit when you returned the bottle. I built my first computer a Timex Sinclair with a 8086 processor you had to program with DOS 6 just to get it to say hello on a tv you used for a monitor. My first motor cycle was a Honda SL100 and would only hold 25cent of gas but i could go to school for a week on that. Can remember 5 cent candy bars that were almost three times larger than they are now. Getting up early to get the first bottle of milk delivered so I got the cream floating on top for my cereal. Remember going to the corner grocery store to buy nails by the pound for my tree house. Bought my first fishing pole there and also bait for fishing. Our telephone was a rotary dial with the finger moving stop. and the number started with LU. When we went to the movies mainly drive-ins and we played on the swings and monkey bars until the movies started then wound sit on the car roof to watch. My first car I bought was a Mercury which I bought for $600 dollars and rebuilt the engine myself easy back then no computers. only needed a screwdriver and a cresent wrench to get it tuned up. Tires were only a few different sizes and lasted for years usually wore them until they were bald. Changing the oil only took a few dollars as most cars used the same filter and weight of oil. Most of my vehicles were stick and usually you had the option of a automatic if you wanted it. Still have a truck with a stick . Camping with my mom and dad usually meant a old canvas tent which usually leaked if you touched the canvas when it rained. A camp fire for cooking and getting warmed up before going to bed in a sleeping bag. I know there is more but I just can't remember.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:39 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
I know there is more but I just can't remember.
Isn't that cruel. We spend all these years gathering memories and when we need them most we can't remember.

My wife passed away and she used to be great for reminding me of all the things I'd done.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:53 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellma View Post
We still have an 8 track radio in our antique truck. 73 F-350. Get the 8 tracks in flea markets and antique shops. Some work, some dont.
A friend had a 4-track in his Maverick.

I also remember Heathkit. My dad build a stereo from a Heathkit. I did a Radio kit. It died because of my poor solder connections.

RadioShack store.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:49 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
My dad went to Eckerd Drugs for tubes
Rexall Drug is where we got ours.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
A friend had a 4-track in his Maverick.

I also remember Heathkit. My dad build a stereo from a Heathkit. I did a Radio kit. It died because of my poor solder connections.

RadioShack store.
I remember Heathkit! I built a radio, and a metal detector from them. The calculator I used in high school was a heathkit as well.

I also still have a multitester that i made from a kit from Radio Shack. Still works!
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #200
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
I remember Heathkit! I built a radio, and a metal detector from them. The calculator I used in high school was a heathkit as well.

I also still have a multitester that i made from a kit from Radio Shack. Still works!
My dad took a correspondence course from Heathkit for his radio/tv repair certificate. Heathkit sent him kits to build a tube tester, volt-ohm meter, capacitor tester, and a signal generator. He built the cases for them from 1/2" lumber cut from logs. All of the kits were still working when he donated them to the electronics department at the local high school in the mid to late '70s.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote