Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
An entire fleet of them was up for sale just a couple of months ago.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34562/...ing-to-auction
They were called Duck Boats. Several fleets of them all around the country in the
day. Two years ago they sunk one on Lake Tannycomo in Branson, Mo. Storm got them and the Captain was dumb. Killed a whole bunch of folks. Really ugly event.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #722
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Amphibicars are different than the 'ducks' issued by the military.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #723
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

In 1954, my dad bought a "Serval" refrigerator. It was run on natural gas, had a pilot light just like the water tank and stove. It worked all the time with no maintenance until we sold the parents home in 2001. Of course it had been relegated to secondary duty in the basement for quite a few years, but it still worked.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 10-30-2020, 07:17 PM   #724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyote61 View Post
They were called Duck Boats. Several fleets of them all around the country in the
day. Two years ago they sunk one on Lake Tannycomo in Branson, Mo. Storm got them and the Captain was dumb. Killed a whole bunch of folks. Really ugly event.
Had one loose a wheel in Seattle and it collided with a tour bus, killing several. That and Covid pretty much ended those tours here, as well as the local franchise as well.

Trying to make a vehicle do more than one task usually ends up with them not doing either very well.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #725

Remember these:

Notch on front was for resting these with tip in the flame:

Rod rested on both the notches of he valve handle and the notch at front of torch.

Most used two irons. One in the flame and the other doing the soldering. Switch and keep going.

BTW, getting the torch started was interesting. They all looked like a fire out of control until they heated up.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:29 PM   #726
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDON View Post
You got me beat! I was 10 when I started and driving that same model! Also milking and carrying water for 1000 chickens. Raised them from 2 days old until 9 weeks, cleaned the house and started another batch. We used the Purina Feed program.
I've carried water for chickens but I gotta say I've never had the pleasure of milking them. How does that work?
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #727

Anyone from the tri-state area should remember this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	948B9E04-9F7A-40A2-B280-91E575011181.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	242241  
Old 10-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #728
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Remember these:

Notch on front was for resting these with tip in the flame:

Rod rested on both the notches of he valve handle and the notch at front of torch.

Most used two irons. One in the flame and the other doing the soldering. Switch and keep going.

BTW, getting the torch started was interesting. They all looked like a fire out of control until they heated up.
The last time I saw one of those blow torches used was when my Dad replaced babbitt bearings in a piece farm equipment. I had the torch until a couple years ago when a guy saw it hanging on the wall at a garage sale. He offered me $50 for it if it worked, I put a couple drops of oil in the leathers and poured some gas in it, pumped it up and lit it. DW said it was about time I got rid of that piece of junk. She just shook her head when I showed her the 50 bucks.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I've carried water for chickens but I gotta say I've never had the pleasure of milking them. How does that work?
You've got to have small hands and a light touch!
Old 10-31-2020, 11:28 AM   #730
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I have a collection of those old brass blowtorches hanging in my basement. probably about 30 of them. You used to be able to pick them up at farm auctions for a buck or so.

I have a couple of the soldering irons too.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 10-31-2020, 11:39 AM   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post

Scrapper, You would think that by now I would know enough to proofread anything I put on this forum! I guess its the old but good syndrome getting me. Got to say, you get 90 points for catching me on this one!

on me. for you.

Stay safe.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:29 PM   #732
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I feel you. This man spent much much monies on this car. Most of which I would have not done, but it isn't mine. I guess that's why they make/sell different stuff.

Just some info on this car(that I remember). It was a hard top, tach in the dash, power steering, air conditioning, posi-track(may be std), and a painted top...?? two tone option.
In 1968, while in the Army at Ft Bragg, NC, I purchased a new '68 Road Runner from Autry Chrysler-Plymouth in Fayetteville. Two door HT, "Ember Gold" with black vinyl top. PS, PB, AC, posi, AT (Torqueflite 727), AM radio, chrome wheels w/ "wide oval" tires, and in-dash tach. With tax and license I think I payed a little over $3200 for the car. A powerful car that handled great. Had to get rid of it in 1973 when the Oil Embargo hit and gas prices went towards $0.80 per gal. Couldn't afford to feed that 383 on G.I. pay! I still remember the horn that went "beep-beep", just like the roadrunner in the cartoon!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:29 PM   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
In 1968, while in the Army at Ft Bragg, NC, I purchased a new '68 Road Runner from Autry Chrysler-Plymouth in Fayetteville. Two door HT, "Ember Gold" with black vinyl top. PS, PB, AC, posi, AT (Torqueflite 727), AM radio, chrome wheels w/ "wide oval" tires, and in-dash tach. With tax and license I think I payed a little over $3200 for the car. A powerful car that handled great. Had to get rid of it in 1973 when the Oil Embargo hit and gas prices went towards $0.80 per gal. Couldn't afford to feed that 383 on G.I. pay! I still remember the horn that went "beep-beep", just like the roadrunner in the cartoon!

That is one of my favorite all-time cars.

I had a 1979 Plymouth Satellite with a slant 6. I totaled out the front of it in an accident.

I was able to buy a complete nose from a 1979 Road Runner for $100.00. Direct swap.

I got challenged so many times to race, but of course, I couldn't compete. But it was a lot of fun!

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #734
D W

Who remembers using carbide lamps back in the day for hunting and camping? We used them all the time in the scouts. Surprising enough they still sell them today. Local hardware stores used to sell the little cans of Calcium Carbide for fuel. Just add water and instant acetylene. Personally, I haven't seen Calcium Carbide in a hardware store in decades.
Attached Images

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #735
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Hardware stores, not like they use to be

There was Bostiwick's Hardware in Chardon, OH. Probably it was the same in many a small town, family business for decades. Mr. Bostwick (who was probably in his 80's) came to work every day, white shirt, bow tie, vest or jacket and greeted every customer who came through his doors. If you were there more then 3 times, he knew your name, always a smile.
No matter what you wanted or needed, no matter how strange or obscure, he would say "just a minute, I think I remember having one of those somewhere in the back", he would disappear for anywhere from 2 to 15 minutes, then reappear with what you were looking for, or at worst, a good substitute. usually covered in layers of dust with a price tag from 20 or so years ago.

It is a shame that the younger folks today (generally speaking) don't know this type of customer service or dedication.

Bostwick's Hardware was a victim of the Walmart squeeze, as the area became a suburban flight neighborhoods and the people who wanted to escape the city scramble, and move into the less crowded country, still wanted their super stores, super gas stations, super shopping, and the family run hardware, shoe, and grocery stores and shops all closed. None are left today.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 11-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #736

Amen... And when he returned with the dust covered part, he addressed you by name because he knew everyone in town.

I miss those stores. It is a shame the big box stores ran them out of business. Now that the small shops are gone, the big box stores have very little useful things in stock. I went to the big blue store the other day looking for a 1/4 inch coupler nut for threaded rod. They had none. Of course they could call to another store and have it to me the next day. Or you can order something and get it in two weeks.

The sad part is, I could buy all the Christmas trees, Halloween candy, or pots and pans I wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post

There was Bostiwick's Hardware in Chardon, OH. Probably it was the same in many a small town, family business for decades. Mr. Bostwick (who was probably in his 80's) came to work every day, white shirt, bow tie, vest or jacket and greeted every customer who came through his doors. If you were there more then 3 times, he knew your name, always a smile.
No matter what you wanted or needed, no matter how strange or obscure, he would say "just a minute, I think I remember having one of those somewhere in the back", he would disappear for anywhere from 2 to 15 minutes, then reappear with what you were looking for, or at worst, a good substitute. usually covered in layers of dust with a price tag from 20 or so years ago.

It is a shame that the younger folks today (generally speaking) don't know this type of customer service or dedication.

Bostwick's Hardware was a victim of the Walmart squeeze, as the area became a suburban flight neighborhoods and the people who wanted to escape the city scramble, and move into the less crowded country, still wanted their super stores, super gas stations, super shopping, and the family run hardware, shoe, and grocery stores and shops all closed. None are left today.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #737

Quote:
Who remembers using carbide lamps back in the day for hunting and camping? We used them all the time in the scouts. Surprising enough they still sell them today. Local hardware stores used to sell the little cans of Calcium Carbide for fuel. Just add water and instant acetylene. Personally, I haven't seen Calcium Carbide in a hardware store in decades.

Still have two. Was looking in a second-hand store last year or so and they were offering one for $50.00 and it didn't have the interior parts! Used them for years doing cave mapping. Agree, I haven't seen calcium carbide for sale in many years.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #738

Amazon has it

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	242364

Quite a bit on eBay too
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #739

Quote:
Sharp looking car! However, the wheels are not period correct for a Muscle Car. Cragar Mags, Chrome Reverse and Rally wheels were the style during this era.
Who cares it looks great. Not all cars have to be point winner's at a local car show. I personally like custom builds.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #740
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post

If you go back even further, Sam Drucker or Ike Godsey would wait on one customer at a time, fetching every product they needed, often using a grabber to get something overhead, sometimes having to order the item from a catalog. That took time and cost money.

Personally, I like the self-service stores, with fast and anonymous checkout. I like buying online when it is cheaper and there is no need to handle the item before selecting it.

In my arena (the product shall remain nameless), we still must fetch the item and work with each customer one-by-one. So, customer service is not dead. It has just become unnecessary, costly, and time-consuming for most of the products that we need.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote