Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #861

Remember when Cracker Jacks actually had a cool little toy?

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:21 PM   #862
Site Team

We've remembered turning the antenna and remote controls....but do you remember the vertical hold knob, you had to turn sometimes to keep the picture from rolling

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #863
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

oh yeah, and taking the vacuum tubes to the drug store to test them
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #864
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Remember not being able to go shopping on Sundays? Very few stores were able to be open on Sunday back in the 50's
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 11-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #865

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Remember not being able to go shopping on Sundays? Very few stores were able to be open on Sunday back in the 50's
Not only that but if you wanted a DRINK on Sunday you had to belong to the Elks, Eagles, Moose, American Legion, VFW, Yacht Club and a whole host of fraternal organizations. They were allowed to get around the "Blue Laws".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #866

How about the old metal cased radios that ran on AC or DC that would shock the crap out of you. Solution was to pull the plug and turn it around in the socket.

This is before plugs/sockets with ground lugs or one blade being wider than the other.

The manufacturers used the neutral wire as a ground to improve reception. I had one as a kid that I could tell was plugged in backwards when the stations had a heavy hum in the background.

The learning curve was really short on these. After the second zap you wised up.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #867
D W

How many out there built a "Crystal Radio" as a kid? Looking back, it was fairly simple to build them. Start with a small block of wood, and for a dollar you could get the rest of the parts from your local TV Repair Shop. Sometimes the repair shop would just give us old parts they had laying around. Neat little device. Built one for a scouting Merit Badge,
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #868

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
How many out there built a "Crystal Radio" as a kid? Looking back, it was fairly simple to build them. Start with a small block of wood, and for a dollar you could get the rest of the parts from your local TV Repair Shop. Sometimes the repair shop would just give us old parts they had laying around. Neat little device. Built one for a scouting Merit Badge,
I did! I think it was for the same reason....a Merit Badge.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #869

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
In Paramus NJ (mall capital of the nation I think) they still have the blue laws.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #870

I live not far from Paramus NJ and blue laws apply to all of Bergen County not just Paramus. Some stores are allowed to be open like food shopping but not restaurants or anything else commercial
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #871

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEliasz View Post
I live not far from Paramus NJ and blue laws apply to all of Bergen County not just Paramus. Some stores are allowed to be open like food shopping but not restaurants or anything else commercial
Ah, didnt realize it was all of Bergen County. I do know it is quite strange driving by all the empty malls on a Sunday!
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:24 AM   #872

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Not only that but if you wanted a DRINK on Sunday you had to belong to the Elks, Eagles, Moose, American Legion, VFW, Yacht Club and a whole host of fraternal organizations. They were allowed to get around the "Blue Laws".

That's why I'm a lifer-Elk. 44 Years and counting.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #873
Just as confused as you

Quote:
My brothers and I built them not for a merit badge but because we could. My Dad, being the local radio/tv repair man for the rural area, had everything needed. We didn't have to take the vacuum tubes to the drug store for testing as he built a Heathkit tube tester in '55. He donated the tube tester, capacitor tester, signal generator, and transistor tester all home-built from Heathkit to the local high school electronics department in 1975. All were still in working condition.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
My brothers and I built them not for a merit badge but because we could. My Dad, being the local radio/tv repair man for the rural area, had everything needed. We didn't have to take the vacuum tubes to the drug store for testing as he built a Heathkit tube tester in '55. He donated the tube tester, capacitor tester, signal generator, and transistor tester all home-built from Heathkit to the local high school electronics department in 1975. All were still in working condition.
I built a lot of HealthKit items. Calculator, radio, metal detector, strobe light, etc. I still have and use a multi tester I built some time in the 70s. I had a lot of fun building these.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #875
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

My first stereo in the late 60's was a Heathkit amp and a separate Heathkit FM tuner I built. I coupled that with a Pioneer turntable and a set of Cerwin Vega speakers and I was in business.

And recall back then, products from Japan (and perhaps most of overseas) had a tariff on them and cost about 20% more than American components.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 11-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #876
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
I built a lot of HealthKit items. Calculator, radio, metal detector, strobe light, etc. I still have and use a multi tester I built some time in the 70s. I had a lot of fun building these.
Dad built the multi tester too, but kept it because it was such an indispensable tool, just like multimeters today.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:32 PM   #877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Dad built the multi tester too, but kept it because it was such an indispensable tool, just like multimeters today.
I still have mine too. Love it as it has an onboard voltage calibration standard.

Still have the original leather case too.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #878

We used to play "chestnuts". You gather up horse chestnuts, ( we'd ride our bikes for miles to get to someone's yard that had those trees, then ask permission to have some).

The idea was to somehow dry them out, either naturally or in mom's oven, get a hole down through the center, either with a drill or just pound a nail through and pull it back out.

Then tie a knot at the end of a piece of shoelace and slip the chestnut onto the lace so it dangled at the bottom.

One kid would hold the top of the lace, with the nut dangling at bottom, and the challenger would take his nut on a string and whip his nut at the hanging nut, trying to crack it in two.

They would alternate turns. The winner's nut would then be termed "a kinger". If that same nut broke more challengers nuts, say 8 more, it would now be a 9- kinger.

If a newcomer, with a first-time played nut broke the 9- kinger, it would automatically be a 9- kinger.

As "nutty" as this game sounds, it was a big deal for us "hayseed" kids. The efforts we'd go through to create a "tough nut" were insane...drying them to be rock hard, then shellacking them, etc.....most of which didn't work.

Plus, it was a yearly seasonal game, based on harvest time..the fall.

Fond memories...

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #879
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
We used to play "chestnuts". You gather up horse chestnuts, ( we'd ride our bikes for miles to get to someone's yard that had those trees, then ask permission to have some).

The idea was to somehow dry them out, either naturally or in mom's oven, get a hole down through the center, either with a drill or just pound a nail through and pull it back out.

Then tie a knot at the end of a piece of shoelace and slip the chestnut onto the lace so it dangled at the bottom.

One kid would hold the top of the lace, with the nut dangling at bottom, and the challenger would take his nut on a string and whip his nut at the hanging nut, trying to crack it in two.

They would alternate turns. The winner's nut would then be termed "a kinger". If that same nut broke more challengers nuts, say 8 more, it would now be a 9- kinger.

If a newcomer, with a first-time played nut broke the 9- kinger, it would automatically be a 9- kinger.

As "nutty" as this game sounds, it was a big deal for us "hayseed" kids. The efforts we'd go through to create a "tough nut" were insane...drying them to be rock hard, then shellacking them, etc.....most of which didn't work.

Plus, it was a yearly seasonal game, based on harvest time..the fall.

Fond memories...

Rich
We just rounded up the chestnuts in burlap bags, took them home, X'd the top of them with our Kamp King pocket knives, then soaked them in salt water for a day. Dried them for another day, then had Mom roast them in the oven for us. By Xing the tops, the chestnuts would burst open in the oven and made them easy to peel the shell off. They were good eatin'. Only problem was after you ate about 5 or 6 of them you were thirsty enough to drink a well dry!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:56 AM   #880

Quote:
We just rounded up the chestnuts in burlap bags, took them home, X'd the top of them with our Kamp King pocket knives, then soaked them in salt water for a day. Dried them for another day, then had Mom roast them in the oven for us. By Xing the tops, the chestnuts would burst open in the oven and made them easy to peel the shell off. They were good eatin'. Only problem was after you ate about 5 or 6 of them you were thirsty enough to drink a well dry!

We used horse chestnuts...big difference! You don't want to eat those!

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote