Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #141

Talking I remember

Goodness, returning glass bottles for the deposit was how I got my penny candy money!
The gumball machine at the corner Mom & Pop grocery store, had a 'winner' in it. If you got the winner, you get a nickel candy. (Ice Cubes were my favorite!)
Sing2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #142

At our corner store you could get a Hershey bar for 5˘ or a Lunch bar for 3˘.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2020, 06:54 PM   #143

I remember

I remember when there was no tv
Mikie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #144

Phone number started with 2 letters – mine was DR7-5975 (the DR stood for Drake, so when asked you said my number is Drake7-5975)
Had a party line when I went to college and lived in a trailer park
The headlight dimmer switch was a button on the floor you pressed with your left foot
I remember when the McDonald’s sign told how many, or "over XXX” sold. When ti changed to over a million sold it was a big deal.
Black and white TV and 3 Atlanta channels.
The man who came around the neighborhoods with the pony and took your photo on it
Laundry pick up and delivery man. Milk too
No air conditioning until your folks got one for the living room (or family room, or den) window.
I can probably come up with more…..
tboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #145

I remember going to the movies and my Mom would send me to the lobby to get her some smokes. Nobody thought a thing about a little kid dropping a quarter in the machine & walking away with a pack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20b744f221c567c45fb5b8998d3f8fe7.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	237546  

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:45 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Datsun is now Nissan. My Titan has been trouble free for 16 years now.
My dad bought my sister a Datsun to drive about 1968 or so. It had cruise control. She would pull the choke all the way out and it would "cruise" at about 30 mph! ;-)
mokershner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #147

Dad and older brothers owned a Standard service station (later AMOCO) late 60's or so. I worked there occasionally while I was a preteen. Washed windshields with old newspapers. Gas prices were generally 19 to 21 cents. Had a variety of quarts of oils on pump island with those jam-in spouts. :-)
First computer was a Tandy running DOS 3.3!
mokershner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #148
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I remember watching the Bozo Show when I was a kid but I know for sure it wasn't on a noon. It was always on in the morning before I went to school. So it had to have been like 7AM CST.

Unless they replayed it again during the day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc102bob View Post
Did you watch on WGN? Bozo the Clown was a franchise, so your local TV station may have done a Bozo show differently than the one on WGN. I grew up near Grand Rapids MI and the guy that did Bozo in our area (Dick Richards) played the part for many years.
https://www.scottwintersblog.com/boz...owning-around/
We took a field trip to WGN studios for our '71-'72 high school electronics class, we watched Ray Rayner (aka Raymond Rahner) do his show. He was the producer/director, he talked to us during a commercial break, when they went back on the air he let me and another senior operate the cameras until the next break. After the show we had a Q&A session with him and his crew. I graduated from high school at Lowell, IN in '72.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianocnj View Post
Anybody remember going to shoe stores with the x-ray machine. I’ll bet my toes have been x-rayed hundreds of times.
The last time my feet were in a fluoroscope was in the early 1980s.

Such a nice forum for a trip down memory lane. So many memories.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:18 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
ENCO- put a tiger in your tank
We have Valero in texas, was shamrock but it was SINCLARE, i think the spelling is right, but had a green dinosaur on the sign
Sinclair. Only know because we had quite a few in Southern Idaho and two of my classmates were Sinclair's.
fflegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #151
Paul & Dianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
I remember when there were Datsun's. Sister had one. POS.
She had the wrong one, then. Back when I was in college, about 1980, went on a road trip with a friend in his 280Z. I covered over 130 miles of NYS Route 17 in well under an hour... if they’d caught me I’d still be in jail! Man that was a great car. Never been faster, in 40 years since.

Also loved Jarts, model rockets... unsupervised!... and street hockey. Like others, my brother and I would scrounge soda bottles for money in the 1960’s. And, remember when McD’s were Golden Arches over a tiled building with no indoor dining? And Sears was where your parents shopped for everything.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #152

Quote:
And Sears was where your parents shopped for everything.
I bought shoes, suits, garden tools, hand tools, garden hoses and appliances all from Sears as late as the early 70's. Got one of my first credit cards from them. I'm still using a couple of power tools my Dad bought from Sears in the 60's.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:10 PM   #153

What's the date and location of that ad?
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:14 PM   #154

We had an Orange Julius on the bottom floor of the old building next to our high school. Really small, just a counter and a couple of tables. Nothing quite like a large quart-size with a raw egg! They closed by the time I was a sophomore. A Taco Bell opened that same year.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:31 PM   #155

Yes, those all day bike rides were great! Never got into trouble and never got harassed, but did sneak onto the orange groves and stole a few Valencias. Navels were novel and not in our area. All day over-the-line with four guys. Alpha Beta and it's ice cream shop, the corner book store, LA5-5555 on all the ads, The Wonderful World of Disney was wholesome, creaks instead of storm canals, the fully loaded blue Country Sedan with AC that we only used on trips to the Mid West, shooting dad's 12 ga bird hunting on the Colorado river...
Old 08-24-2020, 10:34 PM   #156

Datsun was always Nissan. They just had to rename it for sales in the US.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:39 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Ours was actually official and approved - it was labeled as "DSA" on the campus map, for Designated Smoking Area.

I lost my mom to COPD last summer, at only 74. To be honest, it completely blows my mind that people not only still smoke, but still *start* smoking these days.

edit: sounds like we are about the same age - I started 7th grade in '77. Graduated in '83.
Same story with my mom, 2 years ago on September 4, also only 74. I NEVER smoked.....but I have a lot of young pregnant patients who smoke and it shocks me. So sad.
2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4 x 4
2018 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4 x 4
LizzyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:43 PM   #158

I remember too...

Being sent with my brother for many years to Texas by train for the summer from Louisiana where we lived. Our parents wanted to spare us from the "mosquito hurricanes" that occurred every summer. One year we were able to come home by airplane in a Douglass DC-3 that stopped numerous times on the 5 hour flight back to New Orleans from Houston. The old 1930's terminal is still there next to the Wm.P. Hobby Airport on Texas Hwy 35. Hundreds of oil pump jacks between Rosenburg, TX and the area where the Astrodome was built. Watching the Houston Buffalo's or Buffs as they were called. A farm team for the St. Louis Cardinals. Houston Oilers playing at Rice Stadium on South Main St or seeing President Kennedy at the stadium before he went to Dallas and was shot and killed. Attending a Colt 45's game where the Astrodome was built and they changed the name to the Astro's. Arrived at the train station in Houston which is now part of Minute Maid Stadium in downtown Houston. My mother was born in a house next to the tracks 3 blocks south of the train station in 1916. My boss at Robert W. Retherford Associates in 1973 had the first HP 95 scientific notation calculator in Anchorage, Alaska I believe it cost over $600.00 at the time. We used it to calculate the distances to faults in high voltage submarine power cables crossing Cook Inlet to a new power station.
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:46 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThruHiker View Post
She had the wrong one, then. Back when I was in college, about 1980, went on a road trip with a friend in his 280Z. I covered over 130 miles of NYS Route 17 in well under an hour... if they’d caught me I’d still be in jail! Man that was a great car. Never been faster, in 40 years since.

Also loved Jarts, model rockets... unsupervised!... and street hockey. Like others, my brother and I would scrounge soda bottles for money in the 1960’s. And, remember when McD’s were Golden Arches over a tiled building with no indoor dining? And Sears was where your parents shopped for everything.
Did your Sears have a "bargain basement"? Piles of clothes, and shoes, and whatever, on these 48"x48" tables with an 8" high wall around the outside. We were *so* jealous of our friends who didn't do their "school clothes" shopping there every fall!

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:45 AM   #160

Where I lived, no McDonalds, 7-11, or Jack-in-the box. The pancake house was open 24 hours. Otherwise, you ate at home. Griff's Burger Barn had 10-cent burgers.
Party line phone with a ring code and the same lady listening to every call.
People complained when gas rose to $.29 a gallon, but the occasional 'gas war' got it down to 20 cents or so.
You could get away with nothing- everyone knew your parents.
Your school teachers would come for dinner and acted like real people.
Boy Scouts were for boys, Girl Scouts and Brownies were for girls.
Boys were boys, and girls were girls. You could usually tell by what they wore because mama made their clothes.
Getting a sewing machine or vacuum cleaner were a big deal.
At 10 years old and alone, taking the bus with one connection to visit the grandparents. No one called CPS.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote