Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2020, 12:23 PM   #481

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Remember cars that had a rumble seat? I actually rode in a rumble seat once. It would be scary today, but I was maybe 8 at the time and fear was not yet in my life.
More scary than in a convertible with no seat belts?

Than riding on a Motorcycle?

I remember when drive times between cities and towns out west were measured in "beers". Asked a friend once how far it was from Seattle to Missoula and his response was "about a case". Back then a lot of people made extra money by patrolling the roadsides for discarded bottles. They were worth more than the aluminum cans are today.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #482
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Some were even equipped with Jump Seats for a couple extra passengers facing to the rear.

BTW, care to elaborate on the "and such"?
Sorry, you need to use your imagination as it's not a proper topic for discussion on a family-friendly forum.
All I can say is he had a lot of un-married customers who wanted to .
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
And Samurai Tailor, Samurai Delicatessen, etc....

Weekend Update, with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtain.

Back when SNL was funny!
And Rosanne Roseanadana....whats all this I hear about endangered feces??
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #484
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, Pessi, coke!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #485

How about White Castle Hamburgers back east

Now I do know that White Castle started in Kansas and I remember 12 cents got you a regular hamburger and 14 or 15 cents got you with cheese.

I do know it was cheaper in the beginning like 5 cents but I'm old but not that old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	White+Castle+1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	239488   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhiteCastle.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	239489  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
And Rosanne Roseanadana....whats all this I hear about endangered feces??
Ah yes before Saturday Night Live there was Rowin and Martin's Laugh In........ miss that one

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:59 PM   #487
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Ah yes before Saturday Night Live there was Rowin and Martin's Laugh In........ miss that one
it's on DECADES TV along with the Ed Sullivan Show
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 09-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #488
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

And don't forget the Smother's Brothers ! Way ahead of it's time, and controversial.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 09-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Mmmmm. All of these

My mother was born in 1940. She talked about going downtown to the movie theater with a quarter. She got tickets, popcorn and pop and a bus ride home... if you bought anything extra you had to walk back home.

My uncle had a TV with a remote.... you could "jingle" your keys and change the TV. He also got the 1st microwave we ever saw... i remember it cost $1000 way back then.. of course they put an egg in there that night.
My mom was born in 1915 in central La. She came to Galveston to be a welder at Todd Ship Yard during the war. My dad was a foreman at Todd and was in the Coast Guard Reserves he was born in 1912. They did not have time for me until after the war. I came along late 1950. The phone numbers in my home town were 5 digits. I don't know how many prefix area codes there are around here now but when those first came out. Houston, Beaumont and 1/2 way to Dallas was 713. Then south of Houston and south west was 409 and you still had to call an operator to dial anything out of your area code. I remember those micro waves being pricey. I was 16 before we had a color TV and the only reason they bough that is because the girl I was sweet on had one and I stayed over at her house all the time.
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPWeasel View Post
So I'm showing here that I'm not quite as old as some on this site, but when phones were in your home, and were attached to the wall with cords...

Our phone number was only 5 digits long...

riding in the back of a pickup truck was legal, and deemed as perfectly okay if you were a kid...

You could just show up on a Friday evening and find a camping spot that was nice, and still available.
Not only was the phone on a wire it was a short wire normally in a hall way and set on a shelf recessed into the wall and under that was a rack that held the phone book. yep I had never seen a separate yellow page book until we moved to Houston in 1963.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Well that's interesting. I figured by the 80's 7-digit phone numbers were common nation-wide. Learned something new today.

I think my kids know of all those things. I've tried to introduce them to a lot of things that existed when I grew up. Video rental stores, VCRs, tape decks, record players, record stores, rotary phones, toy stores, roller skating rinks, music videos, Saturday morning cartoons, etc...

Just like I know of a lot of things that existed when my parents were growing up even though I never experienced many of them myself.

full service gas stations, roller skates with keys, party-line phones, coke/pepsi in glass bottles, black and white TV, 8-tracks, etc...
Yes self serve gas stations did not appear until after the first gas shortage in the 70's and even then gas stations not convenience stores had 2 islands with different prices one for self serve and one for full service. My first job was a gas jockey. Fill it up check oil, water, air up tires and vacuum out the front floor. One of my uncles had an old and I do mean old Philipp's 66 station and he had those over head pumps with a glass tank on top where he pumped the gas up in the top and the customer could see how many gallons he was getting. Soon after he switched to in the ground tanks and modern style pumps. The high tank pump was switched to kerosene. Yep stations sold kerosene in the 50's He also had recycled oil. They were in a wood case with quart glass jars that looked like a canning jar and had a screw lid that had a funnel built in. Them boys on American Pickers know what all that stuff was because they read about it. I saw most of it in use.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I was partial to lemon parfaits.

As a child though, my favorite place was Burger Chef. Another place in memory only.
Dam, I forgot about The original meet up place Burger Chief!
Old 09-19-2020, 07:44 PM   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDON View Post
Darn! I must be the oldest here. Remember all those and then some. Our phone ring out in the hills of S. Ind. was one short and one long ring, after Dad and the neighbors built a 8 phone system. Car had a vent in front of the windshield and vents in front of the front windows. Can still remember hitching a team to the wagon and going into the woods to cut firewood with a double-bitted ax and a two man crosscut saw. Those were the "Good Old Days?" If so, I for one do NOT want them to return!
That was called a party line and everyone had the same number you had to listen for your code. Then the crabby old woman down the road would come on and tell you to get off because she wanted to use the phone. No telling how many neighbor friends those things broke up.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:02 PM   #494
Site Team

I can remember eating at Howard Johnson restaurants as a kid. Haven't seen one of those in forever.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #495

Home phone number was Broadway 6 3337. Sent a dollar (I think) and so many labels and got a huge Green Giant kite. I swear I had that thing on 500 feet of string and it was almost out of sight. Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:21 PM   #496
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish N Farm View Post
Yes self serve gas stations did not appear until after the first gas shortage in the 70's and even then gas stations not convenience stores had 2 islands with different prices one for self serve and one for full service. My first job was a gas jockey. Fill it up check oil, water, air up tires and vacuum out the front floor.
I worked at a SoCal Gulf gas station in 1972, before the first gas shortage. It had two self serve islands and a full serve island in the middle. It was my first job, when I went to college.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:48 PM   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Beemans was iconic in the Movie "The Rocketeer" in 1991.. PEPSIN GUM
Great movie, too!
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I did!

Until I got an 8-track with the FM converter built in.

Ray
OMG!!!
I installed one exactly like that in my first car a 1960 Chevy Belair that was in 1978
Ron.danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Speaking of am radio, does anyone remember when the am radios had reverb?
Remember am stereo.
You had to have two radios one tuned a little above and one tuned a little below the actual station and you could listen in stereo if it was a stereo station
Old 09-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Well that's interesting. I figured by the 80's 7-digit phone numbers were common nation-wide. Learned something new today.

I think my kids know of all those things. I've tried to introduce them to a lot of things that existed when I grew up. Video rental stores, VCRs, tape decks, record players, record stores, rotary phones, toy stores, roller skating rinks, music videos, Saturday morning cartoons, etc...

Just like I know of a lot of things that existed when my parents were growing up even though I never experienced many of them myself.

full service gas stations, roller skates with keys, party-line phones, coke/pepsi in glass bottles, black and white TV, 8-tracks, etc...
We still had a 5 party phone line till a private line became available in June of 2000 in Central Missouri