Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish N Farm View Post
Mike, you and I would have been in trouble all the time if we were friends living in the same town. I worked in a machine shop part time and the guy that owned had a friend that worked for the RR. He got the owner one of those train horns, you know the big ones on top with 2 small trumpets facing one way and 1 large one facing the other way. We thought they would require a lot of air to operate but they did not what they need was high pressure. We got one mounted under our race car totter and plumed it a big commercial Freon cylinder. No we didn't use Freon. At the time you could buy a kit to turn the cylinder into a compressed air tire filler. We got a valvew out of an old 18 wheeler and had that mounted under the dash. When we caught a train we would sit there and when the car next to us started to pull off we would lay on the horn. I am sure there was some soiled clothing in those cars. Can you imagine that a train just passed you laying that god awful loud horn then you get in the middle of the tracks and that horn goes off again. Feet don't fail me now!
Now THAT is funny!
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:33 AM   #582

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Anyone remember Soupy Sales on TV? I think that was in the early 50’s in Los Angeles.
True Story: 1978 I was working for Ramada Inn. Soupy Sales was staying there while doing a show in town. I was working the evening shift running the courtesy van. Soupy came to front desk looking for a liquor store. I drove him to liquor store about 2 miles away, stopped at a bar, had a drink went back to hotel. He gave $20 tip. FUNNY GUY...and very likeable.

On a side note. While working for Ramada I also met President Ford (secret service mostly) Bill Cosby, Steve Lawerence and Eydie Gorme, Doc Sverenson from the Tonight show. Herb Albert...the bass was in another room
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #583
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
Who remembers piling into the bed of Dad's pickup truck to go get ice cream?
Never had to pile in the back of the pick-up as these guys were always in our neighborhood in the summer. I remember them being the nicest guys. If you were a few pennies short it was no big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	good humor man.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	239998  
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #584

When you couldn't afford a Harley back then:

The Cushman Eagle ~ 1958

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #585

I remember mail being delivered twice a day.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #586

We've gotten mail twice on one day. It's not an everyday occurrence like before. My guess is with the rise of shopping at home and USPS being the chosen carrier. Its usually packages I see on the second round.

Our mail carrier drives a small jeep like looking vehicle. We get mail pretty consistently at noon and I see them driving around yet by 5 or 6 pm by the house again
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #587
FLY4FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Housing that someone else pays for.
One of the best definitions I've ever read or heard!!!
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #588
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I remember mail being delivered twice a day.
I remember when the Mailman "walked" through the neighborhood with his leather mail pack on his back, with a can of mace on his belt.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #589
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I remember when the Mailman "walked" through the neighborhood with his leather mail pack on his back, with a can of mace on his belt.
They still do around here.

How else would you get your mail?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Most of the people around where I live have to go to a "Cluster Box" where the mail person drives up, unloads mail for 20 or more houses, and the recipients do the walking.

The good news is that the boxes are all locked and the mail thieves have to move out into the rural areas to ply their trade.

Also popular for receiving mail are PO boxes. Either at Post Office or any one of the thousands of private rental mailboxes, usually in package shipping stores.

I haven't seen a walking mail person for years unless they're coming to my door to deliver something that requires a signature. Maybe in the cities.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #591
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Most of the people around where I live have to go to a "Cluster Box" where the mail person drives up, unloads mail for 20 or more houses, and the recipients do the walking.

The good news is that the boxes are all locked and the mail thieves have to move out into the rural areas to ply their trade.

Also popular for receiving mail are PO boxes. Either at Post Office or any one of the thousands of private rental mailboxes, usually in package shipping stores.

I haven't seen a walking mail person for years unless they're coming to my door to deliver something that requires a signature. Maybe in the cities.
Interesting.

I see the mail people walking around literally going door-to-door all the time. My parents have their mailbox attached to their front porch and have for the past 30+ years.

In my neighborhood we have a mailbox at the curb that the mail-person delivers without ever getting out of the truck but it's still door-to-door service.

I've seen the lockbox cluster thing before but I thought that was only for certain gated communities and such.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #592

Quote:

Colorado Springs thieves have figured out how to break into the Cluster Boxes. Had a rash of them this summer, with another Cluster Box being hit every night (thieves prefer the wealthy neighborhoods). When it happens, Post Office stops delivering mail until they fix or replace the Cluster Box. You can go pick it up at the Post Office while you are waiting for delivery to resume.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #593
NXR

Quote:
I've seen the lockbox cluster thing before but I thought that was only for certain gated communities and such.
The local postmaster has the authority to make that change. Most new developments in our city are being forced to have those cluster mailboxes and the city cannot do a thing about it until the postmaster changes his/her mind.

Ray
Old 09-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #594
D W

Quote:

Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mailtruck.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	240239  
Old 09-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #595

Quote:
Interesting.

I see the mail people walking around literally going door-to-door all the time. My parents have their mailbox attached to their front porch and have for the past 30+ years.

In my neighborhood we have a mailbox at the curb that the mail-person delivers without ever getting out of the truck but it's still door-to-door service.

I haven't had a "curbside" mailbox since 1996. The two houses I've bought since then have all had the cluster boxes.

Considering the amount of actual "Mail" I receive now, I could probably get by without a mailbox of any kind. Purchases are delivered to my door by Amazon, UPS, Fedex, OnTrac, etc. Bills show up in my e-mail and get paid online. All "money" that comes to me is direct deposited. About the only thing of any importance that shows up in my mailbox is a vote by mail ballot for our National election every 4 years and the usual local elections.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:35 PM   #596
Site Team

Quote:
I haven't had a "curbside" mailbox since 1996. The two houses I've bought since then have all had the cluster boxes.

Considering the amount of actual "Mail" I receive now, I could probably get by without a mailbox of any kind. Purchases are delivered to my door by Amazon, UPS, Fedex, OnTrac, etc. Bills show up in my e-mail and get paid online. All "money" that comes to me is direct deposited. About the only thing of any importance that shows up in my mailbox is a vote by mail ballot for our National election every 4 years and the usual local elections.
Jury summons still come via the USPS.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #597
Site Team

Quote:

Yep, that's how it done where we live now. Most lots on our island are big and there are no residential sidewalks. So most get their mail at mail box clusters. Heck, our mailperson refuses to deliver packages to our door because she doesn't want to walk up the steep driveway. But Amazon, UPS and FedEx have no problem with it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
When i was reslly small, the mailman not only walked the route, but delivered the mail into the house via a mail slot in the door. Having the mail come through the door was like magic to a 3 yo.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #599

Quote:

We have a lockbox. I use the Informed Delivery® by USPS® to see what was delivered to it.

Informed Delivery® also has an App. I use it when I am boondocking to see what is in the mailbox.

I empty it every few days to get the important mail like Costco coupons.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #600
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
We have a lockbox. I use the Informed Delivery[emoji2400] by USPS[emoji2400] to see what was delivered to it.

Informed Delivery[emoji2400] also has an App. I use it when I am boondocking to see what is in the mailbox.

I empty it every few days to get the important mail like Costco coupons.
Informed Delivery is definitely not 100%. At tax season this year almost none of my mailed tax forms appeared yet they were delivered.

I'd give it maybe 80% but that may be post office-dependent.

Ray