Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 10:22 AM   #1

Dog waste Bounty

So every year we search for campgrounds to camp. I try to take the time to read the web site and all the rules before deciding. This campground had some interesting things in there rules and one could make you money.
Check out this screenshot from there web site-
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	283379
Old 01-27-2023, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm all for making people pick up after their pets but I can see a number of ways that could go wrong.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2023, 10:34 AM   #3

I don't see how they can justify making you pay $50 for dog poop on a site you've vacated.
I'd take several pictures of the site as I left to prove that I left the site clean.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:47 AM   #4
Retired Army MSG!

Once a person leaves you never know who goes onto that site. I am a park host and cannot wait to return to my duties in April, however, I have witnessed many times folks walking their pet onto a vacant site to do their business when there are much better options. Watched a guy with two dogs stop at a tree at edge of my site last summer and let his dogs crap with no bag. I looked at him and asked you are going to pick that up? He said he would. Left and came back with bag. He never intended to until I said something. I am a dog owner and he goes on all trips. A 90lb black lab. I take him off the beaten path to do his dirty business and still pick it up there.
lazyjj is online now   Reply
Old 01-27-2023, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
Once a person leaves you never know who goes onto that site. I am a park host and cannot wait to return to my duties in April, however, I have witnessed many times folks walking their pet onto a vacant site to do their business when there are much better options. Watched a guy with two dogs stop at a tree at edge of my site last summer and let his dogs crap with no bag. I looked at him and asked you are going to pick that up? He said he would. Left and came back with bag. He never intended to until I said something. I am a dog owner and he goes on all trips. A 90lb black lab. I take him off the beaten path to do his dirty business and still pick it up there.
Just curious how you know that he wouldn't have come back to pick up the poop? I have two dogs and my rule is to pickup dog poop wherever I see it whether or not it is mine or someone else's. I have at times reached for a poop bag only to find my pouch empty. I always go back and retrieve it.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
The "deposit" from a 90# lab is a lot more noticable than the "nuggets" most mini-dogs leave. In my wanderings it seems like the mini-dog owners more often than not feel the "nuggets" are insignificant and leave them. Maybe they'd change their mind if it was their shoe they had to spend 30 minutes with a toothpick cleaning the -- out of their shoe treads.

As for the bounty, I like it but I think it should be paid only with photo/video proof. Who doesn't have a phone with camera these days? That would help with the "pooping in a vacated spot" question.

In reality I think the bounty notice just raises awareness among those who pay no attention to rules otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 01-27-2023, 12:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
TMaybe they'd change their mind if it was their shoe they had to spend 30 minutes with a toothpick cleaning the -- out of their shoe treads.
OMG...I about spit out lunch laughing at this one! That's quite the visual!!!
Old 01-27-2023, 12:41 PM   #8

Quote:
What I don't understand is how my dog knows which spots are the hosts! Every single time walking around, she picks the host sites to stop and do business at.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply
Old 01-28-2023, 07:24 AM   #9

I have 4 dogs travel with 3 of them we pick up 98% of all our poop. There have been a few times middle of the night dogs need out and don’t have the bag ready go back out in morning can’t find but those are rare. We generally pick up warm. Our last trip out our 6 month old lab is very distracted and hasn’t gotten used to leash. So we left a few piles in our site hoping it would help. We cleaned every pile up as soon as we were hooked up. We also took hike and my dog left a pile about 200 yards from trl. Knowing there was no trash can on trail and not wanting to carry poop for 1.5 miles and since it wasn’t in anyone’s spot or on the trail. I left it until we finished hike went a grabbed it. I wonder how many times someone would have snapped my pic only to find no poop pile. All though the hike was almost 2 hours trail was 1.5 miles but getting to trail head and getting back to trl with 3 dogs. The pile might have been there when they went to look but I never went in trl let the pups in and went straight to the crime scene.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The "deposit" from a 90# lab is a lot more noticable than the "nuggets" most mini-dogs leave.

why did I just read this after coming back from KFC.

enough nuggets on small lawn makes plenty of sticky stains on carpet.
we had 4 Chihuahuas and finding the nuggets was harder
Old 01-28-2023, 09:02 AM   #11
Retired Army MSG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
What I don't understand is how my dog knows which spots are the hosts! Every single time walking around, she picks the host sites to stop and do business at.
Now that is funny. The park I work at we do not have sign post indicating that we are a host site but it doesn't take the neighbors as they come and go very long to figure it out. It is a pleasure to talk with so many people from so many different places which is what I have enjoyed about camping since childhood. Most Rvr's/Tent campers, I would say 97 percent or so are great. The other 3 percent you just shake your head LOL.
lazyjj is online now   Reply
Old 01-28-2023, 11:45 AM   #12

I have been camping many moons now and none of the places I have been have had a poop problem. Ever since someone came up with the idea of manufactured rolls of poop bags, it has become very easy to be a good pet owner.

As a pet owner, if I ever saw a poop "bounty poster" at a campground it would be a red flag and I would avoid that campground. Pet owners make up a sizable population at campgrounds and as a campground owner I would tread lightly on the threats.

I actually crossed out a campground off the list for next Winter after reading their "pet policy" that was arbitrary and capricious with no remedy for the camper or for returning his paid rent and deposits.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:27 AM   #13

At a park where I was camphosting we had a long termed (all summer) who always took two bags with her when wa.king her dog. She called the second one a karma bag.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
At a park where I was camphosting we had a long termed (all summer) who always took two bags with her when wa.king her dog. She called the second one a karma bag.
If I were a campground manage/host I might be tempted to ship that "Karma Bag" to the address shown on the offender's registration and if there was a credit card on file for them just add the charge for a USPS prepaid box.

I'd just double bag the contents to make sure nobody in the Postal Service is exposed. Include a simple message "You left this behind when you departed and we wanted to return it to you".

Then again, having thoughts like the above is probably why I am not a manager or host at a campground

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 02-02-2023, 07:11 PM   #15

I have two labs and am confined to a wheelchair and there have been times in the winter months (I live in the Sierras) where my off leash dog(s) have crapped a distance from me in deep snow. I've belly crawled yards in deep snow to retrieve their gifts and never have I not completed the chore. So I don't want to hear any excuses from anyone that they can't clean up after their dogs. If I can do it anyone can.
rotohead is offline   Reply
Old 02-02-2023, 07:20 PM   #16
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I'm all for making people pick up after their pets but I can see a number of ways that could go wrong.
So you're saying there a lot of ways for the "poo to hit the phan"?
Old 02-02-2023, 08:03 PM   #17

Every summer while camping we see people with their dogs not cleaning up after them. I've seen them confronted for their gross disregard for rules and common decency and a significant percentage cop an attitude as if the folks calling them out are the guilty ones. If a bounty keeps me from a disgusting encounter with dog product then I'm all for it. If everyone had proper consideration there would be no need but that's not the case.
Rockwood Travelers is offline   Reply
Old 02-02-2023, 08:49 PM   #18

I'm a fan. I'm sick of every campground being littered with dog crap.
J Man is offline   Reply
Old 02-02-2023, 09:08 PM   #19

Not at a campground, but saw a neighbors dog being waked by his son. The dog dropped and load on my tree lawn. I asked the kid if he was going to pick it up, and he just walked away. i shoveled it up and put on the the neighbors front steps.
Another time the same neighbor, the father, was walking the same dog and it happened again as I was watching. I told him there was a town ordinance that required it be picked up. I told him about the ordinance and he said he'd lend me his phone to call the police. I told him I had my own phone and I did call.The officer went to his house and questioned him about it. He told the officer it was not his dog. Then was told it was all on camera.

Never happened again.

I've also seen it happen in the dog runs at campgrounds that have plastic bags and receptacles on site and BIG signs.
gw1800 is offline   Reply
Old 02-02-2023, 09:45 PM   #20

I know we always pick up after our dog though at times our Cocker decides to do more than one only to find only one bag left I always have my phone and call the wife. It works great gets her out of bed earlier than usual...lol I wish a neighbor near us cared as much he walks his dog several times a day and watches his dog crap in everyone's yard. I know he does mine, too because he trips our cameras and others caught him in their yards. Now here's the rub when he sees me outside he picks is dog Charley up and walks him around my corner lot... its so funny when his dog trips my doorbell camera and ask Charley what's he doing... never saw a person my age move so quick....lol
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply
Closed Thread