Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

Doggies

This will be our first camping with our new TT,and want to take our dogs,(3),with us.just don't know if they would run off.I let them outside the front yard where they stay close,but camping
Is completely different.They stay in the back yard when were at work with no problems.
Would like to hear from y'all on your experiences and ideas.
Thanks!
RC
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #2

Most CG's would require that they be inside or tied-up, regardless of how well behaved they usually are.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

You will find almost ALL campgrounds, state parks, etc have strict requirements that dogs must be on leash at all times when outside the camper...no running loose or you may be asked to leave without refund. Make sure you know the rules before you make reservations.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #4

We travel with our 4 small dogs and they are always on a leash when outside. This is the rule of thumb in most all campgrounds. We did buy a small enclosure that sets up outside that they stay in when we are outside with them. Have fun!!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

My input

1) Chip them - If stolen, vets routinely check for chips when looking at new dogs brought to them.

2) ID tag with your name and CELL phone number. Driving a thousand miles home to find out the guy a mile from your camp site left a message on your machine.

3) KEEP THEM ON A LEASH at all times outside. No one likes to get attacked by a strange dog even if the cutie just wants to lick your hand.

4) Buss your dog. I think it should be legal to Tase campers who let their dogs poop all over the place and don't pick up after them.

5) Did I mention Buss your dog?

6) Keep them on a SHORT leash when walking them. Save your 25 foot reel for when you are home. Not only will it save you from getting tangled around every tree as you walk, it will save you from needing 3 eyes to watch where each one decides to poop at the three corners of the world.

7) Did I mention Buss your dog?

Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Alot of campgrounds have a fenced dog play or run area where you can exercise your pouch,but they must be under your control all the time. Read the Pet statement or rules on the campground of your choice home page. Don't forget to clean up after Fido.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #7

I crate my dogs when at our site and/or use an ex-pen so they can stretch their legs. Nothing is less enjoyable than having loose dogs run thru our campsite and pee on the canopy pole and disturb my contained dogs - which is good for the loose dog as mine (Bullmastiff) would probably smash the other dog with its paw.

One time these little dogs were loose and found their way to our camper door. I grabbed a leash and captured both dogs and found the owner. Amazing how people become disturbed when I tell them how lucky they are that my dogs arent aggresive - she was offended that they mighr actually have hurt her dogs...how the heck my dogs become the bad guys when they are the ones contained and quiet and not the nusiance, beats me.

Some people use tie out cable wrapped around a tree. I dont recommend stake tie outs unless you have small dogs. I will never forget the time we were camping in the desert and our german shepherd was staked out, it was early evening. Coyotes were ki-ying and she jerked the stake up and took off in the directoon of the coyote luring her out to the pack...thank goodness the stake caught in the tumbleweeds and I got her before they did...needless to say, I now favor a staked down x-pen with a top during the day.

You are smart to worry about your dogs staying near. They might find trouble around the campgroumd with skunks (rabies caution), eating a toad (poison) or drinking bad water from the lake (blue algae)

Have fun with your pups - theyll be joyful with the experience!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
William

We copied an idea from friends that we camp with. You can purchase this from Wal Mart for $59. It folds up flat and takes minimal storage. We put our Cocker Spaniel and SchitzPoo in it while we are outside and use leashes to walk them. I haven't had any issues with using this at any campgrounds.

2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

One more thing could be most important and some if not all campgrounds require an up to date or current record of Fido's shot history. KEEP A COPY IN YOUR CAMPER!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
My input

1) Chip them - If stolen, vets routinely check for chips when looking at new dogs brought to them.

2) ID tag with your name and CELL phone number. Driving a thousand miles home to find out the guy a mile from your camp site left a message on your machine.

3) KEEP THEM ON A LEASH at all times outside. No one likes to get attacked by a strange dog even if the cutie just wants to lick your hand.

4) Buss your dog. I think it should be legal to Tase campers who let their dogs poop all over the place and don't pick up after them.

5) Did I mention Buss your dog?

6) Keep them on a SHORT leash when walking them. Save your 25 foot reel for when you are home. Not only will it save you from getting tangled around every tree as you walk, it will save you from needing 3 eyes to watch where each one decides to poop at the three corners of the world.

7) Did I mention Buss your dog?

Herk

I LIKE #4 when Fido does # 2. I'll have to pack my taser.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
One more thing could be most important and some if not all campgrounds require an up to date or current record of Fido's shot history. KEEP A COPY IN YOUR CAMPER!!!!!!!!
Darn I forgot that one! Military bases require ALL shots to be current and you must have the original rabies certificate with batch number. The tag alone is not enough. Thanks Grayfox
Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Some good advice above. Make sure the dogs are chipped so if lost and lose a collar they can be returned to you. Always have dogs wear a collar. Keep dogs on a leash, most campgrounds require 6 ft length. Dogs are required to be confined at all times meaning on a leash, in a pen, in a camper or crate or on a 6-8 ft tie out. make sure this tie out does not extend past your campsite.

Always carry a current copy of vaccinations for all dogs/pets with you as some campgrounds will ask for this. Keep a copy of your vet # with you and look ahead to where you are going and have an emergency vet # and address on hand for that location. This way if your dog gets bitten by a snake or eats something it shouldn't have, you can get help quickly.

Do not leave your dogs for long periods of time unattended in the camper, especially if they might bark. ALso in summer you never know if the camper might get a power surge or something that trips the AC off and it gets hot in there. Do not leave them unattended outside at all. When we leave, we like to leave a name and number w/ a neighbor in case of emergency or barking they can call us. Or you can leave the info taped to your door.

Train your dogs not to bark. Nothing annoys camping neighbors more than barking dogs. My dog was not a barker at home and 1st camping trip she did not bark. By the 2nd trip a separation anxiety formed and my non-barking senior dog was suddenly a barker and trying to tear up the camper. We were able to train her out of it w/ consistant work (PM me if you need suggestions on this) but we still let neighbors know that we need to know if our dog is barking. We tell them that we know training is an on-going process but we can't do anything about it if they don't say anything to us. We also will test my dog by circling back around on foot and quietly to see if we hear any barking. One thing that helps is to close the shades and if necessary leave on a tv or radio for comfort. We also treat her when leaving.

Make sure you pick up after your dog. Remember, not all people like dogs so don't let them run up to people. And don't let them run up to other dogs as not all dogs are friendly. Treat others with respect and it will all go fine. Oh and some campgrounds have dog play areas where you can let them run off leash in a fenced in dog park. Have courtesy at these and if someone is in there, ask if they are ok w/ you coming in. THey may need to get a hold of their dog first before you enter.

This is new to your dogs and it can stress them, with the right patience and training on the first few trips, it should result in happy camping dogs. If not, then you might want to send the dogs to doggie camp (kennel) while you are out camping.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #13

I'm with you, Grayfox!

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #14

Sounds like the wisest thing to do,is to leave them at home .
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcandvicki View Post
Oh, I don't know about that. I enjoy seeing other dogs in the campgrounds. We always have Tucker our little Cocker Spaniel with us he's a joy to travel with.

Just go by the rules and follow FIDO Etiquette, be thoughtful when it comes to our fellow neighbors and campers.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #16

It just takes a little planning for their comfort and basic needs. Once you have it down, its not so bad...just think of how you plan for your children then apply the process for the dogs. Sometimes I dont want to take them and just get a dog sitter to look after them because I dont want to haul all their stuff (crates/pens/food) remember I hav e large dogs...it can be tiring loading and unloading their stuff...whew.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #17

We have a yellow lab that has been camping with us since he was a pup. We bought one of those folding wire crates that stows neatly in the storage compartment of our 5er. That is where he sleeps. In fact, he likes sleeping in the crate so well that he sleeps in it at home, too, lol. Ol' Sam is well behaved. He will lay right under or near our camper and doesn't bother a soul, but I haven't been to a campground yet that I wasn't reminded that he has to stay on a leash if he weren't on one. It makes my wife mad, but I try to think of it as how would I feel if the camper next to me let a pit bull run loose. I wouldn't like it, and I don't expect others to "know" how friendly my dog is.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcandvicki View Post

only if they will be happier that way or they will be barkers. Otherwise just invest the time and training into it and it will be fine.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Oh, I don't know about that. I enjoy seeing other dogs in the campgrounds. We always have Tucker our little Cocker Spaniel with us he's a joy to travel with.

Just go by the rules and follow FIDO Etiquette, be thoughtful when it comes to our fellow neighbors and campers.
Ditto here. Bella loves to play in the off leash area. A show off by nature her sprints while playing are a joy to watch. Since I don't hunt her (gun shy and don't get me started about why), she does not get a chance to really let go.

Most KOAs have dog parks and some have really large ones. I particularly like the off leash area in Sigsbee Key (Key West Navy). Lots of campers there and always a fun time with the dog.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

X-2 Herk. Little Tucker likes to get out as well. The other thought I have, it's a great way to socialize a dog as well, especially a pup. I have to say Tucker really enjoys people and the long walks around the campground and as those of us with sporting breeds know how they love the opportunity to run and play in the big fenced dog parks areas.