Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #1

Drinking water

Do you drink the camp grounds water, or do you bring your own drinking water? Or do you use the water from your fresh water holding tank?
Does the water pass through the onboard filter when the camper is connected to the hose bibe at the site or is it only filtered when water is being drawn from the tank?
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Do you drink the camp grounds water, or do you bring your own drinking water? Or do you use the water from your fresh water holding tank?
I drink campground water so I am not carrying a bunch of weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Does the water pass through the onboard filter when the camper is connected to the hose bibe at the site or is it only filtered when water is being drawn from the tank?
Both sources should go through the onboard filter.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Site Team

since i have plenty of extra towing capacity, i usually will fill the FW tank.
but i have never had problems refilling with campground water.
never had bad tasting water at any campground we've been to.

but, i used to backpack a lot and used iodine tablets, so i'm not as picky about water taste as most of Americans are.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #4

First get a good fresh water hose - the complimentary hose from the dealer gave the water an awful plastic chemical flavor. New and more expensive hose - no off taste at all.
We have a filter that is external (buy them at Wal-mart even) before the water enters the rv to keep sediment out.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

2Susan,

We just used a $19 external water filter. Can I re-use this? I hate to use the filter for 4 days and throw it out, or can I wrap it in a papertowel and put it in the refridgerator or freezer? Or do have to buy a new one every time?
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
MrT

We generally consume the campground's potable water. That said--even with the onboard water filter system, we usually purchase bottled/jug water for making coffee if the campground's water has poor taste or excessive chlorine.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #7

Post re-using filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
We just used a $19 external water filter. Can I re-use this? I hate to use the filter for 4 days and throw it out, or can I wrap it in a papertowel and put it in the refridgerator or freezer? Or do have to buy a new one every time?
it's a good question. We have been using that same external filter trip after trip. When pressure is reduced with the filter in place, it's probably clogged with sediment and should be replaced. But, the filter sits in between trips and logically something could be growing in there. I had not given it much thought really. If it's not empty and you chuck it in the freezer it could crack - but I'm thinking it probably you can get it empty enough. Another option might be to pour some bleach in but rinsing might be an issue. Freezing actually doesn't sound like a bad plan. I wonder how often others replace their external filter!
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Concerning reusing the external filter, I buy an new one at the start of every camping season. After each time i use it, I blow it out, so hopefully nothing will grow in there while it is not being used. Before hooking up my water hose, I will also run the hydrant water through it for a couple of minutes to flush it.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #9

I am not too picky, but DW is another story. We leave home with a full tank of water from the house and drink that. When we are doing a lot of fishing and need coolers with ice, we buy bottled water. I freeze it solid at home and use it for ice in a clean cooler. I add frozen bottles to the fish cooler as needed, and DW will grab a clean bottle to drink now and then.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #10

Bottled water is one of the biggest rip off's known to man. We use camp ground water. The only time I fill my tank full is if we are boon docking. Then it will be refilled from campground sources if available.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Bottled water is one of the biggest rip off's known to man.
DITTO!!!

the bottle waste issue alone is a crime. all for "special" water that loses out to city tap water, in nearly all conducted taste tests.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
DITTO!!!

the bottle waste issue alone is a crime. all for "special" water that loses out to city tap water, in nearly all conducted taste tests.
X3
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Depending on my destination's water availability, I'll haul the trailer either w/ a couple of gallons in the FW tank & fill up on arrival or fill before departure.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #14

I never drink campground water even if my trailer has a build in water filtration. I dont drink my tap water at home also. Some morning when we turn the tap the water smell the chlorine and at the end of the day it smell the river even if we have a state of the art filtration plant. I only drink spring water in 18 liters bottles hooked on top of a water cooler. When I camp I bring the water in gallon that I bought at the store. I call the tap water ( frog water )I just use it for washing and bathing.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #15

I won't drink the water at the campground or at home. Our tap water smells like a swimming pool. I do fill gallon jugs from our tap to take for coffee and buy bottled water to drink. I also have purchased gallons and just put that on ice.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Bottled water is one of the biggest rip off's known to man.
I guess I see the value in being able to bring a sealed container with water in it anywhere I go. A bottle of water costs me about 10¢; which to me is worth the money. I don't have to worry about filters, bleaching my system if I haven't used it in weeks, etc. All that for $1-2 per camping trip.

As for the bottles; they all come back with me to be recycled. Alberta has a very sophisticated recycling program; and the used bottles do find another home. (Link)

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #17

Both of the water sources are filtered the
Matthewsbj1 is offline   Reply With Quote