RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #21

Call your insurance and move on stuff happens, it could have been much worse
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvyankee2 View Post
It's their job to assess and recommend remediation of the damage, not yours. I would not touch anything without written recommendations from them. They could say what you have done caused extra damage. Sounds like a shady company to me. Should have had an adjuster out quickly.

Good Sam RV insurance. They sent me a letter basically saying that if there is water damage after the fact it could be on us.
Missdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missdenise View Post
Good Sam RV insurance. They sent me a letter basically saying that if there is water damage after the fact it could be on us.
Just looking at the picture, I'd say water damage is just about the least of your worries right now.

I'm no adjuster but I'd venture to say that thing might be totaled. It's a little more than just a "hole in the roof".
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #24

What a bummer!

Get on the phone with the insurance company and request an onsite meeting with a claims adjuster ASAP. They will likely see the trailer and deem it an entire loss. And, in this case you want them to for 2 reasons:

1. The turn around time to get a check is much faster than the turn around time for a proper repair.
2. Being that it is truly a brand new trailer, it would be a very damaged and repaired trailer after a repair. Can/will the insurance/repair company stand behind the repair and know that it is in perfect condition?

Just based on your picture, here are a few questions/concerns/ideas to push the insurance company for a total loss:
1. Structural wall damage
- Roof needs new trusses and entire membrane replaced
- Passenger side of trailer needs to be completely replaced from front to rear corners on the trailer. New window and door frames, new door, and all components need to be resealed.
- Because the roof and passenger side were crushed, take a 8'+ straight edge to the rear, front and driver side walls. They are likely bent as well and need to be trued. If that's the case, what interior panel damage is there. Were wall mounted fixtures (water heater, furnace, etc.) also damaged or bent.
2. Frame and running gear
- Based on the picture, the tree moved/spun the trailer approximately 2 feet clockwise. The pivot point was the tires.
- All 4 stabilizer jacks need to be replaced
- The tongue jack likely got bent
- The frame itself is likely bent and with that much blunt force, it is more likely than not that there are broken welds on the frame. What are these welds holding? Anything and everything.
- If the axles were the pivot point, the 6 spring hangers have now been side loaded because of the impact. These are a known to be weakly welded to the frame (ask me how I know) and would need to be replaced and rewelded.
- The axles and leaf springs could very likely be bent as well and I would expect those to be replaced as well.
3. Shipping and repair time.
- All of the parts will need to come from the factory likely in Indiana.
- TIME: As this is a brand new unit, you won't find parts off the shelf but everything will have to be special ordered and it won't come fast. The lead time for Lippert Components (LCI) from order to ship is 7 calendar days + the time it takes to ship....your parts are ordered and get there in about 2 weeks.
- COST: With all the expected parts needing to be shipped, what is the overall additional repair costs just to get the parts to the trailer for the potential repair.
4. Who's on the hook for paying for:
- The trailer payments while it sits waiting for repair. We hear horror stories on this forum regarding long repair times. This isn't going to be a 1 week job. What time frame will payments be made while you are unable to enjoy your trailer.
- The campsite....In all honesty, I would demand to have my contract dissolved until you have a trailer again. Had it not been for the campground's tree, you would still have a trailer today. It would be insane and overly inconsiderate for the campground to charge you a monthly fee for a site that they know full and well that you cannot use because of one of their trees.

These are just a few thoughts. Keep us posted on how it goes.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

I think taping a tarp over the damage would prevent weather exposure damage just fine until they look at it.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missdenise View Post

Then would not recommend Good Sam insurance. They need to send someone out to do that properly. Not just dump it on you.

wvyankee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
- The campsite....In all honesty, I would demand to have my contract dissolved until you have a trailer again. Had it not been for the campground's tree, you would still have a trailer today. It would be insane and overly inconsiderate for the campground to charge you a monthly fee for a site that they know full and well that you cannot use because of one of their trees.
She already mentioned having been on a waiting list to get this site. It sucks having to pay for a site that you can't use but I'm not sure I'd be willing to give it up so soon. Even if the site has to stay empty for the season. Many CGs require payment the year prior. We always signed our contracts in October.

I don't know how willing the CG would be to return the money either when they know they have others waiting in line to pay for a spot.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #28

A year ago this week our area lost a two year old girl when a tree went straight through an older 5er at a park. The damage to your TT, while devastating to you, gave me a more secure feeling about manufacturing improvements in the RV industry over the last few years. That is a lot of weight on the unit and roof and wall structure held it. Sure, there is structural damage, roof damage, but if you had been inside the TT at the time the tree came down; you would still be here to share your story.

Pray it all works out so you can be camping soon.
Lake5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
She already mentioned having been on a waiting list to get this site. It sucks having to pay for a site that you can't use but I'm not sure I'd be willing to give it up so soon. Even if the site has to stay empty for the season. Many CGs require payment the year prior. We always signed our contracts in October.

I don't know how willing the CG would be to return the money either when they know they have others waiting in line to pay for a spot.

You are 100% correct. We signed our contract in October for the following year. We had been on the wait list for 4 years, got a seasonal site last year but not a really great one. But we had to take that in order to move to a prime site the following year. If I was to tell them I do not want the site for the rest of the season and request a partial refund I would not be able to get this site the following year.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #30

To clarkbe

Thank you for all the points you made!! I will print this out to use if I need to. We do NOT want the trailer repaired either and hope they see things the same way.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #31

Take lots and lots of pictures from all angles - outside and inside (if you can get to it safely). Borrow a ladder and take pictures of the roof. Send copies to your insurance company.

Take the previous advice of throwing a tarp over the damage and keep checking to make sure the tarp is still there until the adjuster comes out.

Count your blessings that you weren't in the rig when the tree came down, then start shopping.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake5er View Post
A year ago this week our area lost a two year old girl when a tree went straight through an older 5er at a park. The damage to your TT, while devastating to you, gave me a more secure feeling about manufacturing improvements in the RV industry over the last few years. That is a lot of weight on the unit and roof and wall structure held it. Sure, there is structural damage, roof damage, but if you had been inside the TT at the time the tree came down; you would still be here to share your story.

Pray it all works out so you can be camping soon.

I have had several people make the same comment. The weight of that tree lifted the front of the trailer 5 ft off the ground but someone inside of the trailer would have still survived.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Take lots and lots of pictures from all angles - outside and inside (if you can get to it safely). Borrow a ladder and take pictures of the roof. Send copies to your insurance company.
Outside pics have already been sent to the insurance co. I could not get inside the trailer until the tree was removed as the front was 4ft off the ground. Heading back today, to see if it is safe to go inside for pics.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #34
rbq

When inside pics are available please share them. Good luck with the process.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #35

Like others have said buy a big tarp and cover the best you can. Tie the tarp off on the TT, trees, etc to help keep it in place. Wouldn't be difficult to do and I'm betting someone there would lend a hand if you needed help. It is the owners duty to do whatever possible to help prevent more damage. Even though the TT is likely totaled, there are many salvageable items that will affect what the insurance company receives when they sell for salvage. Keeping water out will save some items. Good Luck and keep us posted.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #36
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Surely the campground owners are responsive to what happened. I can't imagine they are just going to 'throw' you off that site given the circumstances. And if they do, is that a place you want to spend the summers?

I realize this was a devastating situation but maybe take a step back and breathe for a moment.

Once you've had an opportunity to have healthy conversations with all parties, it may turn out better than you are thinking at the moment.

Best of luck to you.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=15
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #37

I don't think I would want to risk personal injury climbing around on the trailer to prevent further damage, and I'm surprised the insurance company would even suggest it. But according to your quoted text, it appears they did. Morons.
Nights camped: 16 - 24, 17 -33, 18 - 27, 19 - 27

twohand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #38

When mine got hit the insurance company had to call in a special adjuster for the RV. Memory tells me it was a week or so to arrive. My insurance company did me right and I felt that I was treated fairly. It was totaled of course.

The tree that hit mine(rear-taking out BH slide, street side rear wall, rear wall/door, roof/top, outdoor kitchen and curb side wall) was 24+ inches in diameter. Fallen from a tree about 20 feet up and landing on the rear (last 2 ft).
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #39

After thinking this over, I believe you should have leverage with the campground owner. They are liable for such an occurence. I would talk with them first. If they hand you a form that says you have "no physcial injuries from the accident." Don't sign it yet.

Some people will cry "Force Majure." Latin for act of Nature. Legalese for "not our fault." Actually it is their fault. The US Govt has been sued many times over these kinds of accidents and lost. There plenty of precedents. . They are now very proactive about taking out hazard trees. See what the attitude is of the campground owners. You could sue them for damages to your trailer. They need to know that.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #40

Found a couple pics
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	527.1 KB
ID:	201900Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	558.0 KB
ID:	201901