RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missdenise View Post
I would like to advice you to take whatever steps are necessary to limit and mitigate your losses arising from this incident. Since additional expenses such as exposure to weather and failing to take actions may not be covered, you will want to quickly mitigate your damages w a prof water remediation service."

in other words get someone to put a tarp on it or get it stored indoors so that there is not water damage on top of the broken parts. they will have to get an adjuster to look at it and see if they want to fix it or replace it. if they fix it, they will not pay for anything damaged by water, if you could have protected it.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #82

We have had several accidents with our 44 foot Cyclone Toy Hauler and it is amazing how these rigs can be fixed. Did you have insurance on your trailer? It does't cost much and really comes in handy when you have a tree or some other mishap.

Don't give up repairs aren't usually too bad.

Good Luck!
GeoPro_KathyAndLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #83

The trailer is toast. Not only the visible damage but what cannot be seen underneath. I feel certain the adjuster will total it. If not long before any lawyer get an independent adjuster to see what he says.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #84

Thank God no one was hurt!
cleanwiz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
My property taxes add up to more than I pay for all of my insurance, house, car, truck, trailer, umbrella, and healthcare.

They just held a special election wanting to add another $350 per year to my tax bill which will no doubt pass when all the ballots are counted (we vote by mail here).

I'm about to make my first insurance claim in over 20 years. The crack in my trucks windshield finally grew big enough. Hope they dont get mad and raise my rates
My property taxes are 3X my total insurance bill, car, pickup, house, 2d home, and umbrella policy.

Cracked windshield is not a chargeable claim so for most insurance companies you will just pay your comprehensive deductible. Last windshield for my Mercedes was less than half of my deductible ($500).
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:44 PM   #86

Your friends in government

My experience is in WA where the Attorney General is the state’s consumer advocate with an Insurance Commissioner handles insurance issues. Had a denial of claim, filled out the forms stating why my claim should be paid, sent the rebuttal to the IC and within a week my claim was paid. The IC in WA can revoke any insurance companies’ license to do business in the state and the companies do not want to have to fight the IC.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:47 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkmann View Post
My property taxes are 3X my total insurance bill, car, pickup, house, 2d home, and umbrella policy.

Cracked windshield is not a chargeable claim so for most insurance companies you will just pay your comprehensive deductible. Last windshield for my Mercedes was less than half of my deductible ($500).

Y’all got WAY more money....come to think of it...most people do.

I refuse to pay all that property/city tax. I want 90% or more of my payment to be house as opposed to property/city tax.
There are areas around here that have 5-6-7k in prop tax... in my house price range. I just won’t move there. Some much more $.

I am in the city limits. I looked up my city/county taxes(AR) was $1412...just paid. My personal prop taxes about $600 annual. House value 175K.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:35 AM   #88
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
MissDenise, Condolences on the unfortunate turn of events. Thankfully there were no injuries and you are fully insured.

I admit I've found you're post eye opening. This weekend will be our first venture into camping. Also from the PA area, over here in Ephrata. Your post has given me (and I am sure others) a heightened awareness for weather and tree damage potential. We had been planning to head out for a long weekend with the camper to a wooded campground, but with the nasty weather outlook for Friday, and the awareness from your post, we are delaying our trip 24 hours until after the weather.

Best wishes, I am sure it will work out well in the long run. Also check out RV Valumart over my way, they have a wide selection.

From Lancaster, we should all have a small get together...
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #89

I have a few decades of experience as an independent insurance agent. Companies will generally total a vehicle/RV/boat when repair costs approach 75% of the ‘current book value’. The letter you received was standard- with any property insurance it’s simply our responsibility to do what can be done to prevent any further damage after the initial occurrence. Your ‘agent’ should be some one in the Good Sam insurance division, and they should be in contact with you along with the adjuster of whatever insurance company they placed your coverage through- agent’s job is to also help and advise you, not just collect the annual commission and email insurance company pays them after the sale/renewal. You may also have ‘additional expense’ coverage within the policy that would cover or defray travel expenses or loss of use/campground fees while you can’t use the RV. The insurance commission in PA can be helpful if there is ‘foot dragging’ going on in the adjusting of the claim, determination of repair vs replacement.
I can also vouch for Lee in sales and Terry in service at Stoltzfus in Adamstown- both very good and genuinely concerned & helpful.
FarFromLiberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin211 View Post
From Lancaster, we should all have a small get together...

Yes, but you have to wait until we have a camper....
Missdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #91

Oh my!!! Are you all okay?
wildcatmlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #92

We had a medium sized hardwood tree fall on the front corner our 4 year old camper while stored offseason in our back yard. The damaged area was relatively small but being a corner involved the roof, the front wall, and one side wall. It was "totaled" by our insurance carrier (MetLife) and we were paid full replacement value. I had taken immediate steps to cover the damaged area with a large tarp - which the insurance adjuster spoke about and noted in her assessment. It's important to take immediate steps to protect the camper from further water damage which reduces the salvage value (or increases repair costs), and thus the insurance company's ability to recover a portion of their loss payment. Our camper went to a local salvage company.
Uxyfutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #93

Quote:
Thank You for the kind words. I certainly do not want to frighten anyone from camping. But I, like several others, enjoy camping in the woods and so risk is always taken.

I must say that had we been inside the camper at that time, we would still be here to tell the tale. I guess that is one reason I spent the extra $$$ for a quality built RV. IMO - it did hold up well.
We had repair work done on our previous Coachman at RV Valumart and we were happy with the job.
Missdenise, sorry to hear about the accident. I would guess the frame is bent and the walls not so square anymore. Might be fixable for a parked unit but would not want to take it on the road.

I bought my TT at RV Valuemart in 2016, they seemed to have unbeatable prices and posted them on the website. Did they not have the camper model you wanted or did you get a better price elsewhere?

They gave me a quote and took my down payment. When I came back 3 weeks later to complete the purchase it was $1000 less. He said they had dropped the price at a show the previous weekend and therefore lowered my price. I had no knowledge of any of that and he already had the camper so I don't think there was any new manufacturer discount. I would not have expected that, too many slippery dealers out there.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #94

I would think that due to the tree ruining your camper and plans, they should refund your money for the season!
Good luck, and so very sorry this happened to you! Hopefully you can find another camper you will love just as much!
Old 04-23-2019, 06:03 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaS View Post
I would think that due to the tree ruining your camper and plans, they should refund your money for the season!
Good luck, and so very sorry this happened to you! Hopefully you can find another camper you will love just as much!
X2
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #96

Praise God that everyone is ok. On the other hand, I personally would be heading right back to the dealership with pictures in hand asking for a discount on the replacement. Those pictures are a testimonial as to how well constructed that unit is. Without seeing inside, it doesn't look like the damage was too intense other than a bent structural frame, which as a former Auto Body Adjuster, I would total and issue full value on a new unit, if you just purchased it.

God Bless you with a new one and Safe Travels.
bgoldsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #97

UPDATE: I received an email from the insurance co on Thursday. They stated that an adjuster would NOT need to come out and look at the trailer. The estimate would be done in house.

Monday - I received a phone call. The trailer is considered a total loss.

This is by far the best scenario, we do not have to wait months for repairs on a trailer that would never be the same.

We do have the replacement cost clause in our policy so that is the way we are going to go.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post

I bought my TT at RV Valuemart in 2016, they seemed to have unbeatable prices and posted them on the website. Did they not have the camper model you wanted or did you get a better price elsewhere?

They do not carry Rockwood trailers. We have had many brands of trailers over the years and have been very happy with Rockwood and would like to stick with them. Especially after seeing how it held up to tree damage.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #99
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
UPDATE: I received an email from the insurance co on Thursday. They stated that an adjuster would NOT need to come out and look at the trailer. The estimate would be done in house.

Monday - I received a phone call. The trailer is considered a total loss.

This is by far the best scenario, we do not have to wait months for repairs on a trailer that would never be the same.

We do have the replacement cost clause in our policy so that is the way we are going to go.
Great news.
Now you can move forward.
Best of luck!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=15
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #100

Glad to here everything is moving forward for you, don't forget Flagstaff and Rockwood are built in the same factory and are very similar if not the same so you might catch a break that way. I heard you visited with Lee and he did say he was keeping a eye out for something that would work for you, now if a new one is more in line for you they might find something close to coming out of the factory for dealer inventory.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping