Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #1

First bad camping experience!

This past holiday weekend we camped in West Palm Beach for 4 nights (Thursday-Monday) with another family that barely go camping. They have 3 little kids, and we were trying to get them to go rving more often. After couple of weeks of convincing, they agreed to go with us in this trip. The second night, around 2:35am a drunk guy started banging on their camper door and trying to open the door by force, in underwear and my friends daughter was sleeping in the sofa next to the door. They called me and I got to their camper as fast as I could, and got the guy out of there, but, my God, that was scary, didn't know if he was armed, or what he was capable of doing. The police came a couple of minutes later and walked him to his site, and they were kicked out of the campground the very next morning. Anyway, just want it to share that with you, and to make sure your doors are locked always! And from now on, I will leave a outside light "on" in my camper. To make things worse, the following night their neighbor had a "party" with the music so loud it was very hard to sleep. They even cut their trip short! It was sad, scary and a crazy weekend for my friends!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #2

Living out in the country, locking the door sometimes totally falls off the radar! Must try and remember to do that when camping. Thanks for the heads up! (and may your friends have a better experience, next time).
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I keep a can of Wasp spray right next to the fire extinguisher by the door.

That stream right in the eyes will change a drunk's (or any one else's) mind rather quickly.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Always Learning

Sadly, the holiday weekends seem to bring out the worst.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Buddys View Post
This past holiday weekend we camped in West Palm Beach for 4 nights (Thursday-Monday) with another family that barely go camping. They have 3 little kids, and we were trying to get them to go rving more often. After couple of weeks of convincing, they agreed to go with us in this trip. The second night, around 2:35am a drunk guy started banging on their camper door and trying to open the door by force, in underwear and my friends daughter was sleeping in the sofa next to the door. They called me and I got to their camper as fast as I could, and got the guy out of there, but, my God, that was scary, didn't know if he was armed, or what he was capable of doing. The police came a couple of minutes later and walked him to his site, and they were kicked out of the campground the very next morning. Anyway, just want it to share that with you, and to make sure your doors are locked always! And from now on, I will leave a outside light "on" in my camper. To make things worse, the following night their neighbor had a "party" with the music so loud it was very hard to sleep. They even cut their trip short! It was sad, scary and a crazy weekend for my friends!
John, I have been camping for 40 years.... seen a lot, but I have done a lot.
Rule #1 Safety first and always.
You are going 'camping' to go, see, do. Always be aware of what is around you, but know that we can not live in a bubble. Locks are really for (semi?) honest people. ("The heart of man is continually evil, who knows it? God knows it") If a person wants to get 'unruly', he will and that is the time when nature kicks in to fight or flight mode. There are times when one has to stand up and be a sheep dog. 'The flock' do not like the 'sheep dogs' being around until there is danger to the flock. Do not be part of the flock, learn to watch over the flock. Learn to be a Nice, Big, Dog. Let all of the other 'dogs' lie.... until they come into your yard and that is when it is time to get off the porch and bite something.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

That stream right in the eyes will change a drunk's (or any one else's) mind rather quickly.
I keep a lead holder next to my ccw card.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:

I like that idea. And it's not illegal anywhere that I know of. I think Mace may be in some areas, and a firearm is subject to all sorts of regulatory problems moving from state to state. And the wasp spray has a pretty strong stream up to 10 feet or so.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #8

If some one breaks into the trailer.We would have the right to shoot right? Its like our house. I would think we should be able to us deadly force to protect our family.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
Old 09-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Locks are really for (semi?) honest people.
A locked door will buy you time to implement (or come up with) a response plan to an unanticipated knock on the door after dark.

Having more than one means of response is preferred, IMO.

Like the old "saw"; if your only tool is a hammer; every problem looks like a nail. Having a non-lethal option to de-escalate a "situation" seems like a good solution to an age old problem.

While a permit holder myself, I camp regularly on military bases where those tools are prohibited (or restricted to onerous check in/out procedures). I carry a Kimber two shot pepper spray even when I also carry "heavy". I like being able to choose the level of response.

Anyone who has attended a CCW course (the one I took had a 2 hour block with a lawyer) knows that using that level of force will change your life forever (even when justified). I, personally, would like a less traumatic way of dealing with a belligerent drunk.

The wasp spray is effective, has the same range as a C2 Taser, and can handle multiple assailants at a distance. I also recommend the Pepper Blaster II.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #10

I forgot to lock up a couple of months ago and about 2:00 am a young boy maybe 12 years old opens our camper door and says 'Dad you here', I answered 'yes', good thing DW was on her game and says to him 'you have the wrong trailer young man'. The next day an employee grounds keeper came over (he had a year round site accross the street) and says 'sorry about last night that was my boy and his mom had just dropped him off'. Later the boy brought over a stack of fire wood.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #11

Unfortunately for today's RVers, personal security is should be a top priority. Just too many undesirables running loose out there. Add in the fact that quite a few RVers are of the older generation, who can be perceived as "easy pickens" by the bad folks. We travel with a pair of large watch dogs, who once seen, are a pretty good deterrent to unwanted visitors. We also travel with 4 sections of 6'X6' fencing with a lockable gate. This fencing is more for the dogs safety as much as ours, and it covers our front door. Set up, and take down is about 10 minutes each way. Other entries to the inside have inside locks installed. Better safe than sorry is a better way of thinking.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Sadly, the holiday weekends seem to bring out the worst.
that's one big reason we have refused to camp on holiday weekends for years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

that's one big reason we have refused to camp on holiday weekends for years.
I am a proponent of after holiday camping! We have been in Oregon since Tuesday morning and we are loving it. Not too many people but enough to shoot the breeze with and be able to enjoy ourselves.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batts-toy View Post
I forgot to lock up a couple of months ago and about 2:00 am a young boy maybe 12 years old opens our camper door and says 'Dad you here', I answered 'yes', good thing DW was on her game and says to him 'you have the wrong trailer young man'. The next day an employee grounds keeper came over (he had a year round site accross the street) and says 'sorry about last night that was my boy and his mom had just dropped him off'. Later the boy brought over a stack of fire wood.

I'm glad he didn't end up on the wrong end of someones lead ccw holder. I double and triple check my lock at bedtime, especially since we no longer have our 4legged protection. DH keeps a mag lite at the bedside, makes for a good light and a good weapon if necessary. He also keeps a large pocket knife in his bedside cabinet.

OP sorry your friends had hat experience. I'm guessing you won't get them out again. If it makes you feel any better, I finally convinced my dad to join us one weekend. He hasn't been out since he sold he rig when I was in 4th or 5th grade. Of course that weekend it decides to drop into the 30's and rain all weekend. The trailer also had all kinds of issues that trip. To make it worse, he ended up with pneumonia a week later (I had bronchitis during the trip). He won't ever go out again. My mom on the other hand loves to join us but since she exploded pancake batter all over the inside of my tt, DH has very strict rules about her and food in the trailer. When I say all over, think pancake batter on ceiling, floor, walls, carpet, cabinets, sofa, and dinettte plus countertops etc.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
If some one breaks into the trailer.We would have the right to shoot right? Its like our house. I would think we should be able to us deadly force to protect our family.

Check the laws of every state that you go to, before you go. Check the local laws also, as there may be restrictions on the who, what, where, when, why. Deadly force is the Last Resort. If you believe that you or your family are in a life threatening situation it may come to that. Rushing to judgment with that first in your mind means a lack of training and a poor out come will almost always happen. Know that if you pull out a gun out in a threatening manner that you will AND SHOULD BE Arrested. This does not mean that you will stay in Jail, it means that you will go to jail until the police get all of the facts in what is going on and why. Do not fight with the Police, cooperate with them. They can be your best friend or your worse enemy. Right or wrong, everyone is in 'the wrong' until All of the facts come out. If you are not trained well and don't have your 'head on straight'... do not carry a gun...

Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Please keep the topic on focus (protection options from assaults in the RV while camping). As you know, the "firearm topic" (not directly related to camping or traveling) is a "no go."

So far everyone has played nice. Also remember about 1/3 of our members are from countries without a firearm option and in fact finds that option objectionable. (avoid THAT topic too, please).
Old 09-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #17

Have not done a holiday weekend, plan to always avoid it. We don't go out on New Years Eve for the same reason. Functional alcoholics are a lot safer to be around than the stupid amateurs that get out to "celebrate".
Old 09-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #18

We camped the week leading to and including Memorial Day Weekend in 2012. On Saturday night at 2:15am, a drunken neighbor confused our camper for his and tried his best to get inside. We always lock our doors at night and that night was no different. I will admit that it was an odd feeling but I did not get all fired up about it. He was obviously drunk and truly confused. The only similarity between his camper and ours were the outside rope lights were both red and lit up.

He did not recall the event the following day.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #19

Quote:

Very clever idea! Looks like my wasp spray will move from the outdoors supplies storage bin to the counter by the door.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
daydreaming about camping

I have found that a 95 pound GSD will deter all kinds of people. In truth she is a sweetheart, but at 2:00 am that growl will make most people incontinent.

According to many personal safety personnel I have spoken with, the most universally recognizable sound is a pump shotgun being cycled. You can download an app to your phone that will play this sound.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....shotgun&hl=en

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping