Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #1

FL and other states still ban CBD (hemp) oil

From a recent article at Reason online.

https://reason.com/2019/05/21/a-69-y...rying-cbd-oil/

Here in KY CBD is sold at any drugstore and is available without a prescription. If you go into Ohio, or FL and most other states you could be arrested for possession...

Not trying to be an activist, but I would hate for anyone to get their vacation ruined.

Quote:
Disney World—where kiddie coasters, cartoon royalty, and overpriced food options abound—is colloquially known as "The Happiest Place on Earth."

Hester Burkhalter would likely disagree. The 69-year-old great-grandmother was arrested outside of Magic Kingdom and spent 12 hours in jail last month after security officials found CBD—short for cannabidiol—oil in her purse. The compound is derived from cannabis but does not contain the psychoactive component, THC, found in marijuana.

In other words, it can't get you high. But it supposedly can alleviate a plethora of medical conditions, including joint pain and anxiety.

"I have really bad arthritis in my legs, in my arms and in my shoulder," Burkhalter tells Orlando's local Fox affiliate. "I use [CBD oil] for the pain because it helps." She reportedly had a doctor's note in her purse when security officials flagged her, but law enforcement detained her regardless.

While the charges have been dropped, Burkhalter's attorney, Ben Crump, says he plans to sue Disney and the Orange County Sheriff's Office on her behalf, alleging "illegal detention, false arrest and a violation of her civil rights," WESH 2 reports.

Her misfortune sheds light on the murky legal territory surrounding CBD use, as regulations often conflict and as people increasingly flout local restrictions on the harmless substance. The Farm Bill—signed by President Trump in 2018—legalized hemp and CBD at the federal level. In Florida, it remains illegal without a prescription, although CBD-infused cocktails and shops selling the compound continue to pop up across the Sunshine State.

"Today in Orlando, we were able to go into the store and buy CBD," said Crump—who also represented Trayvon Martin's family—at a press conference last week. "It's all over Orlando. It's all over Florida."

CBD use remains a point of contention even in places that have legalized marijuana. In California—where cannabis use is permitted both medically and recreationally—public health officials seized $140,000 worth of CBD-infused drinks from Vybes beverages.

That same cognitive dissonance is alive and well in Florida. "A little drop of oil, with the CBD, is a felony," Jennifer Synnamon, a Florida attorney, told the local Fox affiliate. "Meanwhile, you can have up to 19.9 grams of leaf-marijuana, and it's a first-degree misdemeanor."

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #2

This shows you how messed up some of the laws can be. Go ahead and get high - no problem! But use the plant for medicinal purposes and you could be in trouble.

My 85 yo dad uses CBD for some pains he has and it definitely helps. Not sure why he might get in trouble for this (depending on the state), but it sure highlights some messed up mentalities.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #3

Because some miss use any substance.

Here too. I will say beware Virginia is a very conservative state. For instance even drinking in public (say on the public sidewalk) will also get you arrested.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #4

Quote:
For instance even drinking in public (say on the public sidewalk) will also get you arrested.
I think you would be arrested nearly anywhere in the US for that, unless it was in a designated area, like around the REDs stadium in Cinci... a designated open container area ( very limited area like one square block or so).

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
Always Learning

The challenge is that there are so many MLM companies with "consultants" pushing so much misinformation that people think things are legal when they aren't.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The challenge is that there are so many MLM companies with "consultants" pushing so much misinformation that people think things are legal when they aren't.

Same can be said for those MLM companies presenting their products as cures for things there is no scientific (independent, peer reviewed) evidence to back the claims. At least the broad claims they make.

CBD is the latest craze, kind of like DMSO use in the 70's, 80's.

Research on both showed that they showed benefit in a very small number of conditions and when "pure" they were considered safe.

The last statement is the key. Is the product really "pure" and since it's not regulated by the FDA how do you know?

Laws across the nation are starting to change (as State's are starting to exercise their 10th Amendment Rights) but as long as Cannabis and Hemp are regulated by the Fed's it's going to remain possible for a law abiding citizen in one state to become a criminal by merely stepping across a line on the map and also being subject to Federal prosecution where States have "legalized".

The more we travel widely in the country the greater the chance of running afoul of some law.

BTW, for those who travel with prescription medications (who doesn't today ) Don't just take what you will need for the trip from the bottles they came in from the pharmacy and put them in one of those dispenser boxes with doses segregated by day, time of day, and holding a week's supply. Law requires that all prescription med's remain in bottle issued by pharmacy with prescription number, etc on the label. Even removing your name on the label to protect your privacy can in some jurisdictions result in an arrest on "drug charges".

It's even more complex if you travel with a F***arm. Even with a permit from your home state the manner in which you can carry it changes as you cross just about every State line. I have a "chart" I prepare before starting a multi-state trip that tells me what is legal or not by checking each state's laws on the internet. For those who carry CBD or anything controversial like it, check the net and make sure you won't run afoul of the laws in states along your trip.

Travel is fun, right?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #7

We sit around the campfire almost every night and consume adult beverages in the UP of MI during summer and I sure hope no one arrests us? We are in public.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote