Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
jdadoug

For you airplane guys

I got to do something recently that would have been on my bucket list if I had one.............. I got to sit in the pilots seat of a B-36 Bomber
Went up to the Air Museum in Ashland, Neb. just outside of Mahoney State Park. Big museum!!!!! Its got a SR71, B-52, B-47, B-36, B-25, B-17, F-111
F-105, T-33, XF-85 and a whole lot more that I cant even remember right off hand without looking back at my pictures.......
I gotta say, it was a proud moment to just sit there in that thing! (I love planes) jdadoug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nebraksa B36 023.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	37277  
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #2

Nice! - if you ever get a chance to get to Dayton, OH, the U.S. Air Force Museum is a must see too. They have quite a selection of planes, spacecraft and ICBMs.

2 Kids
sequoiaguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdadoug View Post
I got to do something recently that would have been on my bucket list if I had one.............. I got to sit in the pilots seat of a B-36 Bomber
Went up to the Air Museum in Ashland, Neb. just outside of Mahoney State Park. Big museum!!!!! Its got a SR71, B-52, B-47, B-36, B-25, B-17, F-111
F-105, T-33, XF-85 and a whole lot more that I cant even remember right off hand without looking back at my pictures.......
I gotta say, it was a proud moment to just sit there in that thing! (I love planes) jdadoug
Many many things about the B36 - built right here at the Convair plant adjacent to the former Carswell AFB. Orginally equipped with 6 of the largest reciprocating engines ever built - the R 4360. Later 4 J47 jet engines were added, 2 on each outboard section on each wing.

A man could walk/crawl in each wing to service each reciprocating engine inflight.

The last bomber built that was not equipped with an Inflight Refueling System, it could still remain airborne for many hours - somewhere close to 44-48 hours.

It was equipped with 2 kitchens and several bunks.

Goggle and learn many more interesting things about it.

It was called the "Peacemaker" for good reason and helped keep the Cold War from heating up.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
jdadoug

Another one

Here is one for the record books.......... Its a B-58 Hustler, quite the airplane in its day! jdadoug
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nebraksa B36 104.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	37287  
Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Here is one for the record books.......... Its a B-58 Hustler, quite the airplane in its day! jdadoug
Oh yeah - also built here at the same plant the B36. Set many speed records and was the only bomber equipped with afterburners.

Each of the 3 crew members were in separate compartments and separated inflight.

I never worked on them, but heard they were a maintenance nightmare.

Goggle for more information.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
jdadoug

B-36

B-47, this was one of the later ones with the jet pods, I also got to lay down on the "trolley car" that linked the fore and aft pressurized ends of the plane. Right beside this plane was the XF-85 Goblin that would have been the only armorment the 36 had.
Yeah, I read up on the plane, probably one of my all time favorite planes behind the Mustang! jdadoug
Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
B-47, this was one of the later ones with the jet pods, I also got to lay down on the "trolley car" that linked the fore and aft pressurized ends of the plane. Right beside this plane was the XF-85 Goblin that would have been the only armorment the 36 had.
Yeah, I read up on the plane, probably one of my all time favorite planes behind the Mustang! jdadoug
I think most of them were retrofitted with the J47 engines which you may not have noticed, but they were the same model and design that the numbers 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 engines that the B47 had. I heard that Convair brought the pod (also called cowling) design from Boeing and the J 47 engine from General Electric, the manufacturer.

The B36 did have several offensive and defensive guns that were later removed in an effort to lighten the airplane up because the airplane could fly higher that any plane the Russians had and they were not needed.

The - 85 was never found to be feasible and never went further.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
jdadoug

The Goblin

You are right about the 85, I've seen and read about the nightmare it was to hook back up. Seems like there may have been at least one person killed in the process. This 36 still had the cradle inside for the Goblin. I get the Air and Space magazine and read it cover to cover. There was quite the story on the F7u Cutlass (Chance Vought) I had never seen one, sounded like it was not welcomed on many Navy decks!!
I go to U Tube once and a while and listen to the Radial's start up........ yeah the R- 4360 rocks! What music! Wish I had one, and the know how to start and maintain it. It would be great to go to the shows and let er sing........jdadoug.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
You are right about the 85, I've seen and read about the nightmare it was to hook back up. Seems like there may have been at least one person killed in the process. This 36 still had the cradle inside for the Goblin. I get the Air and Space magazine and read it cover to cover. There was quite the story on the F7u Cutlass (Chance Vought) I had never seen one, sounded like it was not welcomed on many Navy decks!!
I go to U Tube once and a while and listen to the Radial's start up........ yeah the R- 4360 rocks! What music! Wish I had one, and the know how to start and maintain it. It would be great to go to the shows and let er sing........jdadoug.
I never tinkered with any planes other than the big ones - bombers, tankers, transports etc so I don't know much about the fighters.

The R 4360 was an engineering marvel in its own right. I heard that the guy who invented the carburetor for it later went insane - true or not, I don't know.

If you had a 4360 to play with, you better have a lot of money for that 145 octane fuel it consumes in great quanties.

Try searching for KC 97 on U Tube and you can probably find more 4360's start ups.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #10

The B-50 was a B-29 with R4360's, in place of the R3350"s
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenic53 View Post
The B-50 was a B-29 with R4360's, in place of the R3350"s
Yes Sir - you are correct. Wasn't the B-50 also a prototype tanker also?

They were just about all gone when I joined up.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Regarding the P51 Mustang....got a ride in one that had been equipped with a jump seat behind the pilot. Amazing. Tower permitted him to do a hot pass down the runway at about 10 feet. Very cool.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
jdadoug

P-51

I was at a airshow in Salina Ks. years ago when Bob Hover was still flying a lot. That yellow mustang he had was great and he knew how to fly it. He also did a show with a twin engine plane that I cant remember right now and really put it through the paces, great guy! jdadoug
Old 08-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
I was at a airshow in Salina Ks. years ago when Bob Hover was still flying a lot. That yellow mustang he had was great and he knew how to fly it. He also did a show with a twin engine plane that I cant remember right now and really put it through the paces, great guy! jdadoug
I met him once in the 1980's and shook his hand at an air show we were monitoring .

I doubt he would shake any FAA inspector hand in the 1990's - that was when the FAA revoked his medical certificate, effectively grounding him from flying in the U.S.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #15

One of the planes (among many) that Hoover made famous was the Aerocommander. When I was flying in Dayton (early '70s) there were a lot of them around the air field and Hoover was quite a hero.
File:HooverShrike.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill
Denver, CO
bspickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
jdadoug

Bob Hoover

Bill, I believe that was the twin I was talking about. I remember him cutting the engines and doing quite a few maneuvers and ending with landing on one gear for quite a ways.....jdadoug
Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #17

We had seen Hoover at the Reno Air Races about 10 years ago - it was during the "lost medical years". He had a CFI "safety pilot" in the plane with him, although I'm not sure that the CFI would have been of any good during the maneuvers that Bob was able to perform. I think he called the twin engine cutoff with a loop something like "energy conservation".

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel
2012 Cedar Creek 30RL
Full Timers Since October 2012
RenoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #18

VooDoo's

Did you happen to see any of the F-101B VooDoo's that were in service during the 60's. Darn good airplane as we flew the B model out of Charleston AFB, SC., 444th Fighter Interceptor Squadron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Weapons_Loading_Team.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	38176  
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #19

Quote:

Being you love aircraft take a look at this link.
It is a B-17G and if you click on the location inside the plane it is a real 360 degree view of the location. This is a restore3d B-17G
B-17G 'Nine-O-Nine': Over, under, around and through
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
jdadoug

F-101

As a matter of fact there was a 101B, another great plane!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GEDC2913.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	38185