Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post

Yea... deep fried !!!!!
I could eat a whole damn box of those deals.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #22
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Well, all those that were getting black market prices for twinkies are losing their cash cow. They have announced that the assets have been bought, and Twinkies should be back on store shelves starting in July, with other Hostess mainstays shortly after.

Twinkies (the real ones) back on store shelves in July - Business on NBCNews.com
And I am quite sure sure if you follow the money trail it will lead back to the same owners who just used the system to bash the workers.
They will probably be made in China soon with who knows what ingredients.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
And I am quite sure sure if you follow the money trail it will lead back to the same owners who just used the system to bash the workers.
They will probably be made in China soon with who knows what ingredients.
Not sure on the money trail, but you may be right on where they could be made in the future. It appears the ones who bought just the Hostess stuff, are experts at buying, reviving, then selling the companies. If they sell Hostess later on down the road, who knows where they may be made. Twinkies have so much preservatives, it wouldn't hurt them at all to be put on a slow boat from China.

But as for right now, the owners of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer also own twinkies. That's a heckuva combination.

Twinkies Are Coming Back: The Metropoulos Brothers On the Brand - The Daily Beast

Here is an excerpt from the above article:

But last month, the Metropouloses, a family of entrepreneurs with a long track record of turning around wounded and orphaned brands, were given approval by a bankruptcy court to acquire control of Hostess. Once the deal closes, they’ll aim to do for Twinkies what they have done with Pabst Blue Ribbon—reposition the brand to a new generation of customers while retaining die-hard fans.

Over the last few decades Greek immigrant Dean Metropoulos has bought, restructured, revived, and sold a series of packaged food brands, including Chef Boyardee, Vlasic Pickles, Bumblebee Tuna, Aunt Jemima, Duncan Hines, and Log Cabin. His success has made him a billionaire; he ranks No. 377 on the Forbes 400. His two millennial sons, Daren (29) and Evan (32), grew up in Stowe, Vermont, and Greenwich, Connecticut, and are now principals with their father in Metropoulos & Co. The two are co-CEOs of Pabst Brewing Company, and they are helping to lead the reinvention of Hostess.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Yea... deep fried !!!!!
Many food items sold at the Texas State Fair are deep fried. I believe Twinkles are one of them. Others that I can recall are Snickers, Milky Ways, Bacon.

They are very popular.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #25
MI Camperz

Twinkies and other convenience foods,
became popular after wwii, 50s, 60s etc as women started working in progressively larger numbers. However successful hostess was, they did not progress. Newcomers came in to offer alternatives...esp healthier choices that significant numbers are demanding. Little debbie offers similar items if you want. Personally,+..............yuck wont miss any of that crap. LOL
Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #26
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Twinkies and other convenience foods,
became popular after wwii, 50s, 60s etc as women started working in progressively larger numbers. However successful hostess was, they did not progress. Newcomers came in to offer alternatives...esp healthier choices that significant numbers are demanding. Little debbie offers similar items if you want. Personally,+..............yuck wont miss any of that crap. LOL
And I guess that is why you two are as slim as you are judging by your profile picture
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
MI Camperz

My dh is a junk food king. Sadly. He prefers little debbies. Chips nightly.
Burgers coneys fries typical lunch fare. No high bp or chol. Or diabetes. Lucky i guess. It upsets me though.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #28

Crap!

In the intervening time period, DW and I have gone on diets and will not be able to partake in the tasting of the newly branded Twinkies when it is relaunched. Am a long time Twinkies fan, along with those little icing sugar coated donuts, old-fashioned donuts, ice cream sandwiches and a few others... Have been known to eat a whole package of these treats for breakfast. Crap again - thinking about this must be what holding cocaine in front of an addict is like.

Think I will go out and wax the RV or something to get my mind off Twinkies!

BTW, Little Debbie has a nice line of products but they seem to have an odd taste/texture. Maybe it's the preservatives?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Crap!

In the intervening time period, DW and I have gone on diets and will not be able to partake in the tasting of the newly branded Twinkies when it is relaunched. Am a long time Twinkies fan, along with those little icing sugar coated donuts, old-fashioned donuts, ice cream sandwiches and a few others... Have been known to eat a whole package of these treats for breakfast. Crap again - thinking about this must be what holding cocaine in front of an addict is like.

Think I will go out and wax the RV or something to get my mind off Twinkies!

BTW, Little Debbie has a nice line of products but they seem to have an odd taste/texture. Maybe it's the preservatives?
I'll let you know how they are!
I'll be the taster fer ya......
Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just me, but I'll take Tastykakes .At one point in time you could only buy Tastykakes her in the east. I think they can be found in many parts of the country Now. Very nice texture and flavor and always fresh

www.tastykake.com
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Moon Pie's and RC cola..........that's how this "Johnny Reb" rolls..........
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #32
One Happy Camper!

I live literally within a stones throw of where the twinkie was invented and was produced until last year. I noticed a few days ago quite a bit of activity including deliveries at the shuddered factory that has been completely quiet. I don't know for sure, but I assume they must be planning to produce the Twinkies at the same place they used too.

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #33
Camper Less Camping

Keep ya Twinkies...growin up in Nawlins, you only roll with Hubig Pies & Barq's Rootbeer!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #34
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Keep ya Twinkies...growin up in Nawlins, you only roll with Hubig Pies & Barq's Rootbeer!
Hubig pie and a cold glass of milk!
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #35
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
Moon Pie's and RC cola..........that's how this "Johnny Reb" rolls..........
I never could understand the connection between these two, but then again I was not raised in the south, so I don't knock it.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

I never could understand the connection between these two, but then again I was not raised in the south, so I don't knock it.
I'll draw you a picture later friend.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #37
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I'll draw you a picture later friend.
No need - just one of those depending on where you are from things
Old 04-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPD View Post
I live literally within a stones throw of where the twinkie was invented and was produced until last year. I noticed a few days ago quite a bit of activity including deliveries at the shuddered factory that has been completely quiet. I don't know for sure, but I assume they must be planning to produce the Twinkies at the same place they used too.
This is from the article. Do you live near Schiller Park? That's the only Ill location it mentions. They mention Emporia, but that's Kansas I believe.

"Besides the Georgia location, Hostess Brands, LLC also bought plants in Schiller Park, Ill.; Emporia, Kan.; Indianapolis, Ind.; and the Atwater Village section of Los Angeles, Cramer said. At least some of those will resume operations simultaneously with Georgia. Emporia, which is already hiring, according to listings on online job sites, will likely be among the reopened locations, he said. Corporate operations will be run out of Kansas City and Dallas."
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
It's a little off-topic......but we're in the off-topic forum so it's all good. This might answer that.

You can read the history of the moonpie at their company website, as well as scroll thru it. It's fairly interesting, especially how moonpies were invented originally for miners.

MoonPie | About

As my fellow southerners have pointed out, it's still a favorite down here.....and depending on what/where you attend Mardis Gras parades, they throw moonpies from the floats.
-----------------------------------------------
Here's even more on the subject of moonpies and rc.

Moon pies had reached a peak of their popularity during the 1950s, when many workers bought them as an inexpensive snack to tide their hunger for a while. Around this time, the typical cost of a moon pie was about five cents, and a soda to drink was also a nickel. The popular legend of moon pies states that R.C. Cola became the drink of choice to accompany a moon pie, because a serving of R.C. Cola was typically larger than a serving of Coca-Cola or other sodas. The combination of "an R.C. Cola and a moon pie" became inseparable, and was often referred to as the "working man's lunch." (A novelty song in the early 1950s called "An RC Cola And A Moon Pie" became a popular jingle of the time. The band NRBQ later recorded a different song called "RC Cola and a Moon Pie" which was so popular among their fans that they held a series of concert/gatherings called "Moon Pie Festivals"). At an average cost of ten cents, the food combination became an institution...
----------------------
The official Moonpie website says,

"By the late 1950's, the MoonPie had grown in popularity, so much that the bakery did not have the resources available to produce anything else. The phrase "RC Cola and a MoonPie" became well known around the South, as many people enjoyed this delicious, bargain-priced combination. "

And this comes from About.com:
--------------------------
The MoonPie hit the markets of Chattanooga Tennessee in 1917 and R.C. Cola arrived in 1934. They were an instant success when they combined forces in the 1950's. You could buy a RC (Royal Crown) Cola and MoonPie special for 10 cents, back then, that was a full 16 ounces of soda and the MoonPies' weighed about near (that's southern for Approximate size) a half pound.

This combo was soon labeled as the instant fast food lunch of the fifties. Although it's never been acknowledged that the merging of the two was a planned marketing strategy or just plain luck.

If anyone happens to be near Bell Buckle TN in June, you might want to stop by their RC/Moonpie festival

Bell Buckle, Tennessee - Chamber of Commerce

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
It's a little off-topic......but we're in the off-topic forum so it's all good. This might answer that.

You can read the history of the moonpie at their company website, as well as scroll thru it. It's fairly interesting, especially how moonpies were invented originally for miners.

MoonPie | About

As my fellow southerners have pointed out, it's still a favorite down here.....and depending on what/where you attend Mardis Gras parades, they throw moonpies from the floats.
Here's even more on the subject of moonpies and rc.

Moon pies had reached a peak of their popularity during the 1950s, when many workers bought them as an inexpensive snack to tide their hunger for a while. Around this time, the typical cost of a moon pie was about five cents, and a soda to drink was also a nickel. The popular legend of moon pies states that R.C. Cola became the drink of choice to accompany a moon pie, because a serving of R.C. Cola was typically larger than a serving of Coca-Cola or other sodas. The combination of "an R.C. Cola and a moon pie" became inseparable, and was often referred to as the "working man's lunch." (A novelty song in the early 1950s called "An RC Cola And A Moon Pie" became a popular jingle of the time. The band NRBQ later recorded a different song called "RC Cola and a Moon Pie" which was so popular among their fans that they held a series of concert/gatherings called "Moon Pie Festivals"). At an average cost of ten cents, the food combination became an institution...
----------------------
The official Moonpie website says,

"By the late 1950's, the MoonPie had grown in popularity, so much that the bakery did not have the resources available to produce anything else. The phrase "RC Cola and a MoonPie" became well known around the South, as many people enjoyed this delicious, bargain-priced combination. "

And this comes from About.com:
--------------------------
The MoonPie hit the markets of Chattanooga Tennessee in 1917 and R.C. Cola arrived in 1934. They were an instant success when they combined forces in the 1950's. You could buy a RC (Royal Crown) Cola and MoonPie special for 10 cents, back then, that was a full 16 ounces of soda and the MoonPies' weighed about near (that's southern for Approximate size) a half pound.

This combo was soon labeled as the instant fast food lunch of the fifties. Although it's never been acknowledged that the merging of the two was a planned marketing strategy or just plain luck.

If anyone happens to be near Bell Buckle TN in June, you might want to stop by their RC/Moonpie festival

Bell Buckle, Tennessee - Chamber of Commerce
GOOD STUFF.... interesting
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote