Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
Global Nomad

Getting e-mail at the RV

I own my own website at www.scheinin.com which I use to host my blog through Wordpress. By owning my own domain, I can get unlimited e-mail address @scheinin.com. I use an Apple Mac computer. My domain is hosted at expedient.com for $250.00 a year. They use the mail program Webmail. Recently, after 2 years of use, the Apple mail program no longer can access webmail. I called tech support at Expedient, but they said my webmail program is working correctly, and they cannot troubleshoot on a 3rd party mail program (apple). I have checked all the settings on my Apple Mail program and they are correct, including user name and password. I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone on the Forum us webmail on a Mac?

2. Does anyone who has their own domain use a hosting company for less than $250.00 that gives you unlimited e-mail addresses using your domain name?

My I-cloud mail works fine on the Mac. I can access my mail on webmail if I go to the program directly, so I know my password and username are working.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Global Nomad

Getting e-mail at the RV - note

Further note: I can receive e-mail from expedient on my Mac, but I cannot send mail. Very strange, since it was working fine for the last 2 years.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
Global Nomad

Wow! I find it hard to believe that of the 1,000's of users on this forum, not one person owned their own domain?

Old 05-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

I host my websites through GoDaddy. My package includes unlimited storage, domains (I only register three), websites, bandwidth. I don't remember If associated email is unlimited or not as I don't use that aspect. My cost as of this year was $130 per year, I believe.
Webmail use should be the same no matter what the platform/browser. I would start by checking the security settings on your Mac as it appears the problem is on your end.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
Retired Old Fart

Well, I've hosted about 6 domains before. "Webmail" is a generic term for the mail service via a HTML internet page (no installed software - it's just a regular web page where you can access, send, etc... your e-mail). It should work in Safari on any Mac, just like accessing this website. How deep into running the website are you? Are you manually setting security settings, etc... or depending on the hosting company or a 3rd party software to manage your site?

In addition to embedding webmail into your pages on a site, the hosting company will generally have a generic webmail site. Have you tried to login via their portal? If it works on the generic portal for the hosting company, but no on your site's portal, then the issue is in the coding on your site (or security settings on your site).

NMWildcat had a good idea. Try to access "webmail" form another computer (can even be a windows or chromebook based OS) or even from your phone. If it's working there, then it's the settings on the computer that cannot access it.

Another possibility is a 3rd party has hijacked your hosted site and may be running a sub-web and using your mail section for some other activity. Basically they have hacked in, changed the settings, and may have booted you off part of the site (either on purpose or by accident). If you know how to use the control panel interface from your hosting company, I would go in and via that interface browse the site structure and see if you have any unusual sub-webs or folders you do not expect to see. If you can access control panel, you should be able to reset your webmail account and review what other access accounts were created for both mail and the site in general (and what level of access they have). If you don't know what any of this is, then you need to be talking to tech support at the hosting company. They should help you.

Also unless you are needing some super-massive amounts of storage space or something else unusual, $250 a year for hosting is a lot IMO.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I would start by checking the security settings on your Mac as it appears the problem is on your end.
Thank you. I will checkout Go Daddy. The first thing I checked were the Mac settings. All seemed correct. As I said, the mail program worked fine for 2 years, now, all of a sudden not working. The strange thing is I can receive mail, just not send. Very strange.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #7

Longshot answer.............disregard if not applicable.

My email got hacked once........although I didn't really know it. Some overseas genius was using my email to blast out all those spam emails everyone gets.

Oddly, the way I found it was that I could send emails one at a time, but if I tried multiple addresses, the sending failed. They figured it out finally. I changed my password, they erased all the garbage, and it works fine.

Doubtful that's the issue, but thought I'd throw it out there.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post

In addition to embedding webmail into your pages on a site, the hosting company will generally have a generic webmail site. Have you tried to login via their portal? If it works on the generic portal for the hosting company, but no on your site's portal, then the issue is in the coding on your site (or security settings on your site).
Thank you. I can log in to the hosting company site and both send and receive e-mails. This is the site portal:

WebMail

"Expedient's browser-based email solution"

WebMail provides a way of checking your email messages over the web, at home, from work, or anywhere in the world. Your account has a limit to the amount of email that can be stored on the server, though, so you should download your messages using a regular email client like Outlook Express, Eudora, or Netscape on a regular basis.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #9

In Apple mail under the Window menu you will find Connection Doctor. Choose it and it will test connections to the various mail servers you have configured. If you can receive but not send then you have an issue with connecting to the SMTP server that email system is using. This should show you with one is not connecting.

There could be any number of reasons things stopped working on the sending mail side (corrupted router table to a bad DNS entry, etc, etc.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Connection Doctor.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	203803  
Old 05-14-2019, 01:33 AM   #10
Global Nomad

I have found 2 potential e-mail programs that will allow me unlimited e-mail at my domain name: G-Suite and Network Solutions. Does anyone use either of these programs? How satisfied are you? Anyone use a different program where you own your own domain name?

thanks in advance.