Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
TitanMike:

Do you remember back in the day when we used cigarette butts for hearing protection on the rifle ranges?
Only the filters for me[emoji849]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
rechargable is fine, when you have 120vAC on tap, not so much if you are out of the US or in hunting camp. I prefer batteries.
Most charging devices today work on the 220-240 volt foreign electrical supplies. They automatically switch and all you need is the right adapter for the plug.

Far different than when I was overseas and had to buy a heavy transformer.

As for hunting camp, a small true sine wave inverter that plugs into a cigarette lighter power outlet might be cheaper than a supply of batteries. Good ones are now available for $30-$40.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #23

Hearing aids

I have worn them for 6 years. We were told the will last about 5 years. My wife and I both have Opticon brand aids. Mine have survived working outside daily and sweat from playing sports w/ them. Mine were the middle line of the brand, $5 K before insurance. They have buttons that can turn off the back microphones or adjust the volume, so when in a busy restaurant we hear conversation between each other better. This is a feature I use often. I have heard the ones Costco sells are 1/2 the price. So we will check them out before buying another set. Several of the people we play sports w/ got their's there and are happy w/ them. I do recommend getting a "drying box" to put them in in the evening. Skip the expensive ones w/ the tube light, hard to find the bulb replacement and too expensive. I have the dryer can in my RV and the electric plug-in in the house.
PS-dogs LUV to chew them up so the box is dual purpose.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #24
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
JayArras...check Costco for battery prices, last I checked the Kirkland batteries were cheaper than anything on Amazon, and are good batteries.
Like I said... Amazon has some of the lowest prices I've seen on hearing aid batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Sign.../dp/B01AIVTJMA
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #25

Mike, do be aware that hearing loss is a very personalized thing. What works for one person may not work for another. Try different styles, different technologies. I have the behind-the-ear type from Costco. I can hear high frequency sounds much better, but still can't understand speech any better. For me, people mumble. With hearing aids they now mumble louder, but no clearer. I never wear them. Ive worked with several audiologist and medical doctors, with no improvement in understanding speech. Be thorough in your testing!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #26

I can vouch for Oticon.
Programmed to match my hearing loss in 10 mh increments. Don't want to get amplification in ranges that are still good.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #27

My day is coming sooner than later for hearing aids................ sounds like Costco's has the better price but I do not have one within a two plus hour drive.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:08 AM   #28

If you can’t see well, you get eyeglasses. If you can’t hear well, you get hearing aids. It’s a no-brainer decision.

One choice to make is which style you want, ie in the canal, completely in the canal, in the ear, behind the ear, etc. I find in-the-canal to be most comfortable and practical, but behind the ear styles are popular, partly because they require less customized fitting. Regardless of the style, they become like a wristwatch. You usually can’t tell if you’re wearing it unless you touch it to see if it’s there.

Many aids have something like a 45 day trial period, so if they do not work out, you can get then remade, or worst case you’re only charged a couple hundred dollars.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #29
ysidive

Costco will test your hearing, set up a trial and let you try a couple of different aids that they sell.... Three year warrantee and free check ups.. Re test once a year and adjust your aids if there is a significant change in your hearing... Great service, knowledgeable licensed audiologist and great prices.....
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #30

"they are programmable and have a phone app that you can use to customize your settings."

I need to have self adjustable aids but do not have a fancy cell phone.

Is there an alternative , behind the ear , battery powered , that I can adjust my self?
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #31

I have the Resound lynx2 hearing aids. This is the second pair in about 8 years. I have an app on my phone to adjust them for a variety of different situations. Very happy with them. Shop around as the price varies from place to place for the same hearing aids.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #32
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
Costco will test your hearing, set up a trial and let you try a couple of different aids that they sell.... Three year warrantee and free check ups.. Re test once a year and adjust your aids if there is a significant change in your hearing... Great service, knowledgeable licensed audiologist and great prices.....
X 2 and yep battery prices are good. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #33
The PI Camper

If you are a Vet, try the VA even if you don't normally use them for your medical care. They are very generous with hearing aids.

I got some about 6 years ago, in the ear type with a little device like an iPod to adjust it. The device could also be put on a table and transmit through a mike to the HAs. Also would connect via Bluetooth to iPhones and you could play music, sports, etc through it.
Hated them though - they made my ears sweat a lot and I hate moist ear canals.
Lost them in Harvey though, so I'm going back for a retest and new pair - but going with behind the ear types this time.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Like I said... Amazon has some of the lowest prices I've seen on hearing aid batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Sign.../dp/B01AIVTJMA
I just bought those at Costco for $8.99.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #35

I have auditory nerve deafness, likely born with it. I recently purchased the GN Resound Lynx Quattro aids and love them. Mine are rechargeable and I love that i have control over volume, noise reduction, etc all through my iPhone app.
SchoolNurseMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #36
The PI Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
I just bought those at Costco for $8.99.
There's a subset of Amazon sellers (called FBAs) that buy stuff at Costco, especially during sales and with cash back cards, and resell them on Amazon at a mark up. Something like this that costs about $5 more than at Costco they are making 50¢-$1 on after Amazon FBA fees. But they do it in great quantities. Costco/Kirkland does not sell wholesale to Amazon themselves.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
"they are programmable and have a phone app that you can use to customize your settings."

I need to have self adjustable aids but do not have a fancy cell phone.

Is there an alternative , behind the ear , battery powered , that I can adjust my self?
Without an app or the audiologist, the most you can do is change the volume.
You don't need a "fancy" cell phone, just a cheaper and basic smart phone that you can put the app on.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Without an app or the audiologist, the most you can do is change the volume.
You don't need a "fancy" cell phone, just a cheaper and basic smart phone that you can put the app on.
It doesn't even need to be "activated" on a cell carrier's network.

Bluetooth will work without activation as well as WiFi. If an app needs to be downloaded just log into your regular Wifi network or a free one at McDonalds, Starbucks, Walmart, etc to download.

With everyone under the age of 30 updating their phone with every new model release surely there's someone in the family or a friend that has an old model lying around.

Only issue might be if the app requires a later version of Android or whatever Apple uses.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #39

+1 for Costco

I found it worthwhile to buy a Costco membership and drive an hour each way to buy them there. $1500 vs $7500 from the local ENT office. So far I've had to make the trip 5 times, which included twice to return my original pair when a better Bluetooth model was released. Costco's return policy can't be beat.
The pair I have now (KS9's) are comfortable and sound great but the most amazing feature is the Bluetooth phone pairing. I'd have no problem driving 4 hours each way if I had to.
Midnight Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #40

Hearing aides

I’ve been wearing Resound hearing aids in both ears for just about 3 years! I love them! Mine require small batteries (others by RS do not)! What I have are a pair of high quality hearing aids I can entirely control with my iPhone! That includes noise control (restaurants, meetings, small groups, bad weather, and much more)! They have required very little maintenance! When required I go to a brick and mortar store not mailing them in! COSTCO is the largest retailer of many things in the USA including hearing aids to include you critical hearing test! Which reminds me of another great feature! Mine can be retuned via my audiologist’s computer! That means I don’t have to buy new ones as my hearing declines! They are just tuned in about 30 minutes to my new hearing test! I hope this helps! BTW military veterans who are in the VA medical system are provided hearing aides-for service connected reasons! Dan
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote