Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
RKR

How is everbody cooking their turkey ?

We do 2 turkeys. I deep fry one and make some dirty rice stuffing.
We also do the upside down slow cook in the oven overnight with the traditional fixins. We just started the breast side down over might trick last year. It came out very just moist and tender.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Site Team

I use the Char-Broil Big Easy oil-less turkey fryer, with the turkey itself injected with Tony Chacheres Creole Butter. Always moist and always great.

So easy, a caveman........uhh pilgrim could do it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #3

I have no cooking to do, daughter inlaw has that duty this year.
Son will cook a ham I am sure but no idea how she will cook the turkey.
I made deviled eggs last night and will throw a salad in a bowl later.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I use the Char-Broil Big Easy oil-less turkey fryer, with the turkey itself injected with Tony Chacheres Creole Butter. Always moist and always great.
I like the idea of an oil-fryer. Does it come out pretty much the same as with oil ? What approximate cooking time ? Peanut oil this years was around $11 a gallon. OUCH. I use about 2.5 gals in my fryer.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #5

Whatever restaurant we find when we get to New Orleans. We are traveling today--without the trailer.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
I like the idea of an oil-fryer. Does it come out pretty much the same as with oil ? What approximate cooking time ? Peanut oil this years was around $11 a gallon. OUCH. I use about 2.5 gals in my fryer.
I wouldn't say it's quite as good as an oil fried turkey, but it is a real close second......and I mean so close you will get compliments from everyone..........................but is so much easier than using an oil fryer, with the only cleanup being in emptying the drip tray.

You just inject the turkey with your favorite marinade (our daughter has chosen Creole Butter as her favorite, but I like garlic) in different places. Set the turkey in the basket, and set it in the Big Easy. Put the included thermometer down in the thickest part of the breast. Turn on the Big Easy and walk away.

Cooking time depends on outside ambient temp. I would say the average when it is real cold like it is today is around 3 hours to 3 hours 15 minutes on mine. I've seen videos where others do it in about 2 hours, but don't know if that's normal or if mine is just slower than others.

It's so easy, and is basically plug-n-play. It takes me about 15 minutes to prep the turkey and get it to the Big Easy. I have probably fried about 25-30 birds with the one I got so far. I fry turkeys even in the summer because my daughter and I get to craving them. When thru, you just empty the dripping tray (or if you used disposable foil tray, just chunk it), and wipe down the inside stainless steel chamber. That's it, until you use it again.

As far as the marinades go, you can experiment with the ones available in the stores or make your own. Youtube is full of videos on this.

Tips I've learned:

I take the bird out when the thermometer reaches 160 degrees as it will still heat up some even after you remove it, to get to an internal temp of 165. The closer you get to 165 the moister/juicier the meat is.

Don't put the browning lid on top of the Big Easy until about the last fifteen/twenty minutes or cooking time. I've actually gotten to the point I don't use the lid at all.

The Big Easy comes with a wire basket that works well. However the wings like to stick thru the wire and you have to work them back in when trying to remove the turkey from the basket. It's not hard to do, but when dealing with a very hot turkey, it can be a pain. Char-Broil sells a hinged basket for the Big Easy on their website for $20, which makes all the world of difference. You just open the hinge and the turkey falls out of the basket.

I bought the hinged basket, along with the hanging rib racks, and shish-ka-bob skewers for the Big Easy on a package deal for $35. I haven't tried to cook ribs in it yet, but have made several excellent shish-ka-bobs.

As with your RV and other propane power grills, open your propane bottle slowly, so the OPD doesn't limit the propane flow. I was cooking one time and it seemed like it was taking longer than usual. I noticed the flames were smaller than normal. I turned off the cylinder and reopened slowly. This time the flame was three times the size as previously.....and it started cooking as it should.

It really is as the name implies, Easy. I've never ruined a bird, and the closest I came was when the meat thermometer broke, and I cooked it too long....which just made it a little drier. I now use two thermometers just to make sure.

Thing about the Big Easy, is you can take it to the campground with you, and cook many other things besides just turkeys. I saw on Char-Broils site the other day, they even now make a griddle to place over the top so you can fry eggs, bacon, etc with it.

http://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-tru-infrared.html

Lowes, Home Depot, Dicks, Wal_mart, Academy, Bass pro, all sell these for around 89-99 bucks. I get mine for 70 off Amazon several years ago, where it is 79 currently.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&fiel...tag=mozilla-20

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
We do 2 turkeys. I deep fry one and make some dirty rice stuffing.
We also do the upside down slow cook in the oven overnight with the traditional fixins. We just started the breast side down over might trick last year. It came out very just moist and tender.

I am intrigued by the "breast down" method. Would like to hear more reviews. We have always cooked the traditional way. Roasted in oven with breast up.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

Weber Grill....What other way is there?
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Experienced Newbie

I use the Alton Brown - Food Network brine recipe.

Either in the oven, or a roaster.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Site Team

Deep fried in peanut oil.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #11

Well in real red neck trailer livin tradition I went to Harbor Freight got one of those things that attach to a propane tank for burnin the grass and I'm out in the front yard with truck jacked up spit hooked to rear wheel, in gear, turkey spinnin a mach one holdin flame thrower about 2 ft away should be done in 15 min at 5000 degrees.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #12

Smoked in the Big Green Egg!
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Restaurant with both granddaughters and oldest son. Got tired of all the leftovers a couple of years ago.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I am intrigued by the "breast down" method. Would like to hear more reviews. We have always cooked the traditional way. Roasted in oven with breast up.
Cooking time is 40 to 50 min per pound with the first 30 min at 500. I think that's to kill off any bacteria that might be on it. Just use your choice of seasonings that you would normally use. I basted it before I went to bed and again this morning several times. I have about 3 hrs left to cook then I will check it with a meat thermometer. It's only our second time doing this. Last year when we did it came out great. With the breast down they say it keeps it really moist which it did last year.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #15

I use the mother-in-law method....she cooks it...we come eat!
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #16
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyrwc View Post
I use the mother-in-law method....she cooks it...we come eat!
Lol , I like this method the best !
Old 11-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #17

Two birds on a Traeger smoker, YUM.......

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #18

we have a table top electric roaster we are using this year but I am SERIOUSLY investigating the Big Easy infrared fryer!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Well in real red neck trailer livin tradition I went to Harbor Freight got one of those things that attach to a propane tank for burnin the grass and I'm out in the front yard with truck jacked up spit hooked to rear wheel, in gear, turkey spinnin a mach one holdin flame thrower about 2 ft away should be done in 15 min at 5000 degrees.

B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
phat phrog stunt crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Weber Grill....What other way is there?
Go to moms house.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote