Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #1

Huge recall on CPAP machines

CPAP machine recall.

https://www.respshop.com/philips-cpa...oaAjTmEALw_wcB
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:10 AM   #2

Is your CPAP part of the recall, and what do you have to do to get a replacement?
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:02 AM   #3
Enjoying Life

Go to this webpage for latest info
https://www.usa.philips.com/healthca...ons/src-update

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:22 AM   #4

It makes you wonder how good of a job the FDA really does when they inspect, test and finally determine that a product is safe for the public.
Bruce
Old 08-15-2021, 06:36 AM   #5

I wonder where they are made.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
It makes you wonder how good of a job the FDA really does when they inspect, test and finally determine that a product is safe for the public.
Bruce
Sounds like this problem developed over time due to a couple "conditions" probably not anticipated.

Unless a product is tested over LONG periods of time not all flaws appear and approval is granted based on reasonable testing periods.

Happens with everything manufactured.

Adding:

I noticed right off one of the possible causes, "unauthorized" sanitizing methods using ozone. May well have been caused by users not following instructions to the letter.

Just an observation.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Sounds like this problem developed over time due to a couple "conditions" probably not anticipated.

Unless a product is tested over LONG periods of time not all flaws appear and approval is granted based on reasonable testing periods.

Happens with everything manufactured.
This is why new drugs (and vaccines) take years for FDA approval.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Is your CPAP part of the recall, and what do you have to do to get a replacement?
My wife's machine is part of the recall, and I registered it with Philips.

In the meantime, I found a ResMed Airsense 10 (the machine I use) on eBay and bought it before eBay cancelled the listing. I suspect because eBay has no way to check prescriptions. The seller messaged me after it was cancelled to ensure that I still wanted it. Once the payment cleared and he had his funds, he shipped it.

Took it to her DME and had them switch her Respironics with the Airsense. All of this rigamarole was necessary because she was getting constant headaches and sore throat, and was still a year out from insurance buying a new machine.

The "used" machine we bought? 10 total hours on it. Near as I can tell, guy tried it three nights in a row (I pulled the data) and never used it agin.
phrogpilot73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:48 PM   #9
WFD

ResMed Air Sense 10 is a great machine....been using one for just over a year and a half now, very good machine....but i still hate having to use it!
Old 09-21-2021, 09:54 PM   #10

My wifes Dreamstation is part of the recall , it's going to take months for them to fix the problem. I'm not getting much camping sleep with her snoring. Pretty crappy situation. They say you can buy one of their newer models but it's not like they are offering a discount on them.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:22 PM   #11

I was just diagnosed and need a machine but was told it could be awhile before they are in stock as so many are replacing their Phillips machines.
Not to hijack this thread but can someone answer this?
Once you start using the machine do you become dependent on it or could you go a few nights without it if you had to?
Old 09-21-2021, 11:56 PM   #12

You don't get dependent. Sleep apnea is nothing to be ignored though, depending on how severe your apnea is. There can be serious health consequences if left untreated for some people.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerdude View Post
You don't get dependent. Sleep apnea is nothing to be ignored though, depending on how severe your apnea is. There can be serious health consequences if left untreated for some people.
I was diagnosed some years ago and got a CPAP. When I turned 65, medicare wouldn't give me any supplies until I did a sleep study. They decided I wasn't sick enough and refused to give me a new system or supplies for my old one. I think it's the way for the government to kill off us old farts.

Jim.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerdude View Post
My wifes Dreamstation is part of the recall , it's going to take months for them to fix the problem. I'm not getting much camping sleep with her snoring. Pretty crappy situation. They say you can buy one of their newer models but it's not like they are offering a discount on them.

I also have a Dreamstation. I used my backup Resmed, for a couple of weeks after the recall. Because my backup is about 7 years old, and I like the DS much better and because a replacement DS isn’t expected from Resperonics for up to a year. I researched, (YouTube) and removed the foam from the DS. It was a little challenging. Being patient, I carefully disassemble the DS, removed the foam. Been using w/o the foam for about 3 months, can’t tell the difference. I use the OSCAR program to monitor my numbers, all are inline to where they need to be. Now just waiting on DS replacement from Resperonics.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
I was just diagnosed and need a machine but was told it could be awhile before they are in stock as so many are replacing their Phillips machines.
Once you start using the machine do you become dependent on it or could you go a few nights without it if you had to?
What I have found is that after a while you kinda get used to how good you feel in the morning using the machine, I the rare occasions I haven't I feel almost hungover. If you can go with a nasal or pillow type mask, the full face masks were a no way I am wearing this thing for me.
The Airsense 10 Auto is great machine. There are some good CPAP forums out there too.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post

I’ve been on a cpap for almost 15 years. I’m fortunate, I took to it like a duck to water. For me, it was life changing. I immediately felt much better. During those 15 years, I’ve had to sleep w/o it a handful of times. I hate not having it. Mainly because I have Severe Obstructed Sleep Apnea. My advice for a better quality of life, be diligent in using it. Find a mask that is comfortable. I’ve landed on the Dreamwear Nasal cushion, a dramatic improvement from the first mask I had.
Good luck and sleep tight [emoji42][emoji3]
Old 09-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
ResMed Air Sense 10 is a great machine....been using one for just over a year and a half now, very good machine....but i still hate having to use it!
So.. you all might find this interesting..

I have an Airsense 10. I literally just called my provider this morning to complain about a loss of pressure. Over the past few weeks I have also been noticing bits of black foam in the water tank just like they're indicating in the Phillips recall.

The provider indicated that the use of a SoClean (Ozone) sterilization machine was recognized as the leading cause of this type of failure. They also indicated that the manufacturer said that the foam and other internal components could deteriorate over time with prolonged use of this equipment.

I wonder if these two machines share similar components/suppliers?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #18

Funny thing when I called Phillips a few weeks ago to inquire when they would be shipping replacement parts or new machines, they told me that they are waiting on FDA Approval before they can ship the new parts. I told them they should have labeled it as a "Vaccine" and it would have been taken care of months ago. The woman I was speaking with did not find the humor.......
Old 09-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #19

When I was talking to my doctor I asked about cleaning. He told me that the use of cleaning systems like SoClean may void the warranty on the CPAP.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
So.. you all might find this interesting..

I have an Airsense 10. I literally just called my provider this morning to complain about a loss of pressure. Over the past few weeks I have also been noticing bits of black foam in the water tank just like they're indicating in the Phillips recall.

The provider indicated that the use of a SoClean (Ozone) sterilization machine was recognized as the leading cause of this type of failure. They also indicated that the manufacturer said that the foam and other internal components could deteriorate over time with prolonged use of this equipment.

I wonder if these two machines share similar components/suppliers?

Sounds like or similar to the Phillips recall issue.

Tags
recall