Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
B47

Internet blocking.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this, but our local newspaper, the Fort Worth Star Telegram, had started blocking Internet access to it. When you open their site, you get a flash that basically tells you provide your paid subscription password or sign up for it. This blocking is run from time to time and usually for about a week at a time and then it stops for awhile.

The Dallas Morning News has also started blocking Internet access, but it seems to be on a much limited basis, at least for now.

I realize that other newspapers and publications are now doing this also. I'm assuming the reason is because they are losing revenues when people stop paying for subscriptions and instead go to the Internet.

I can understand them doing this, but it still bugs me when I get blocked and no, I haven't gotten a paid subscription - yet!

Your thoughts.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #2

I just use the local news websites like myfoxdfw.com or wfaa.com if I want some news and I'm not at home. Haven't subscribed to a newspaper in years and don't plan on paying an on-line fee to view their content either.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
I just use the local news websites like myfoxdfw.com or wfaa.com if I want some news and I'm not at home. Haven't subscribed to a newspaper in years and don't plan on paying an on-line fee to view their content either.
With you living in Euless, you know what I'm talking about.

I watch the news channels also, but I still like to read sometimes.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #4

When we moved back to DFW I started reading the DMN regularly agin on line and found that many of the local stories I was interested in were available only with a subscription and I was not finding those same local stories on any of the other news outlets (might have missed them but...)

Bottom line we signed up for the electronic only version, don't want to have to deal with recycling papers I may/may not have actually read. And by not having a physical paper delivered I don't have to worry about them laying on the front stoop and alerting low life's that I may not be home.

I am waiting for USA Today to start charging too but they seem to be using adds left and right which I have learned to ignore.

I also read BBC which allows me to get news that tends to remove some of the bias I have been seeing in the US mainstream media.

Have also been playing with Flipboard on my iPad. It allows you to tailor the types of news you get and so far is free.
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #5

Many newspapers now do that, I read the NY Times, now only 10 articles per month free, the Washington Post, now only 10 articles free per month and several others every day and it seem that they are all going to the paid for access. I have always had a newspaper delivered until last year when I was informed that the Houston Chronicle would no longer deliver to may house, rural, small ranch.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Many newspapers now do that, I read the NY Times, now only 10 articles per month free, the Washington Post, now only 10 articles free per month and several others every day and it seem that they are all going to the paid for access. I have always had a newspaper delivered until last year when I was informed that the Houston Chronicle would no longer deliver to may house, rural, small ranch.
Yes and I can understand why they are doing it - with the loss of subscription revenue and probably advertising revenue as a result, they are trying to stop their losses.

It still perturbs me, but I'll get used to it..
Old 07-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

change your setting in your browser to never allow "cookies" from said webpages... My hometown of CT does that, only 3 articles per day, but if you don't allow the cookies, you can read all day long... all the articles.... Hope this helps you!!
BlueOX SwayPro (used when hauling cart too)
TomStacey616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #8

That's how the newspapers made their money, selling the stories they report on. Now, to just give that away for free does not seem like good business practices. The print papers has ads also, so it doesn't seem too different.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post

If you use Firefox go to 'file' then 'new private window' or if you use chrome choose to open an 'incognito' window.

these settings don't remember cookies that way each day you can get 10 articles from either of the papers or more if you close that window and then open another new one.

vizsla owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
...I still like to read sometimes.
Boy, didn't know you could.

p.s. Paybacks are hell, and it's my turn!:
Old 07-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Boy, didn't know you could.

p.s. Paybacks are hell, and it's my turn!:
Watch it or Ill tell everyone what the "s" in soc stands for
Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Watch it or Ill tell everyone what the "s" in soc stands for
Are you coming to Goshen to get your serum shot or do I need to find a horse doc in Dallas to inject it? Keep goin' and we'll send the funnel and hose we're going to use on FT Turbs.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Are you coming to Goshen to get your serum shot or do I need to find a horse doc in Dallas to inject it? Keep goin' and we'll send the funnel and hose we're going to use on FT Turbs.
Unfortunately we won't be able to make the trip to Goshen and its not because you will be there

As far as "Dallas" goes - you seem to have a lot of trouble with my address ( referring to your recent feeble attempt to mail me a $1.00 check). When you live on the Fort Worth side of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, having someone say you live in Dallas or do business in Dallas amounts to fighting words.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #14

Quote:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this, but our local newspaper, the Fort Worth Star Telegram, had started blocking Internet access to it. When you open their site, you get a flash that basically tells you provide your paid subscription password or sign up for it. This blocking is run from time to time and usually for about a week at a time and then it stops for awhile.

The Dallas Morning News has also started blocking Internet access, but it seems to be on a much limited basis, at least for now.

I realize that other newspapers and publications are now doing this also. I'm assuming the reason is because they are losing revenues when people stop paying for subscriptions and instead go to the Internet.

I can understand them doing this, but it still bugs me when I get blocked and no, I haven't gotten a paid subscription - yet!

Your thoughts.
Having been a newspaper managing editor for 23 years, I can tell you that it costs money to produce a news product. Reporters, editors and photographers do not work for free, and news organizations are businesses, not public utilities. They have to turn a profit or they fold, just like any other business.

I got out of it before the internet really became a factor, so I'm not up-to-date on all the current newspaper issues, but I'll be surprised if physical, hold-in-your-hand newspapapers last as long as I do. Already, formerly great newspapers like the Times-Picayune in New Orleans can no longer afford to publish a print issue every day of the week. Sad.

They will do what they have to do to stay in business, and that's going to continue to include charging money for their product, whether it's delivered via paper and ink or over the internet.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Having been a newspaper managing editor for 23 years, I can tell you that it costs money to produce a news product. Reporters, editors and photographers do not work for free, and news organizations are businesses, not public utilities. They have to turn a profit or they fold, just like any other business.

I got out of it before the internet really became a factor, so I'm not up-to-date on all the current newspaper issues, but I'll be surprised if physical, hold-in-your-hand newspapapers last as long as I do. Already, formerly great newspapers like the Times-Picayune in New Orleans can no longer afford to publish a print issue every day of the week. Sad.

They will do what they have to do to stay in business, and that's going to continue to include charging money for their product, whether it's delivered via paper and ink or over the internet.
I've never been in the newspaper business, but I can understand how the Internet has changed the business. It's changed not only the newspaper business, but its impacted the USPS and the tradional brick and mortar stores also.

My point is that I get perturbed when my local newspaper blocks my Internet access to it - call me spoiled if you want.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Unfortunately we won't be able to make the trip to Goshen and its not because you will be there

As far as "Dallas" goes - you seem to have a lot of trouble with my address ( referring to your recent feeble attempt to mail me a $1.00 check). When you live on the Fort Worth side of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, having someone say you live in Dallas or do business in Dallas amounts to fighting words.
I know, it's because of FT Turbs, but we'll keep that between us. Never got your whole address you old codger or you would have gotten your da-- dollar. It and the envelope are already in the trailer for me to give to one of your Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex friends if you have any.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #17

Quote:
I've never been in the newspaper business, but I can understand how the Internet has changed the business. It's changed not only the newspaper business, but its impacted the USPS and the tradional brick and mortar stores also.

My point is that I get perturbed when my local newspaper blocks my Internet access to it - call me spoiled if you want.
You are right that it has impacted everything, but have the USPS and those brick-and-mortar stores started giving you their products for free? If not, you shouldn't expect the newspapers to give you their product for free, either.

I think newspapapers initially began making their products available on the internet because they didn't know WHAT to do to compete in that new technology. When the smoke cleared, they realized it didn't make much sense to charge traditional subscribers for their product when anyone could get it for free online.

I know it's hard for readers to break that internet habit, but the businesses that know how to survive are not giving free rides anymore.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
You are right that it has impacted everything, but have the USPS and those brick-and-mortar stores started giving you their products for free? If not, you shouldn't expect the newspapers to give you their product for free, either.

I think newspapapers initially began making their products available on the internet because they didn't know WHAT to do to compete in that new technology. When the smoke cleared, they realized it didn't make much sense to charge traditional subscribers for their product when anyone could get it for free online.

I know it's hard for readers to break that internet habit, but the businesses that know how to survive are not giving free rides anymore.
You're right in everything you say here. In my defense, I never said I expect any business to give me their product free. I simply said I was "perturbed" now when I was able to access my local newspaper on the Internet for free and now it seems that is changing. I'll get over it.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #19

Quote:
You're right in everything you say here. In my defense, I never said I expect any business to give me their product free. I simply said I was "perturbed" now when I was able to access my local newspaper on the Internet for free and now it seems that is changing. I'll get over it.
Yes, sir. I guess we'll all have to get over it, and it's not easy when they start out letting you have it for free. Couldn't agree more. Thanks for sharing your intelligent viewpoint. I hardly ever get to discuss the newspaper business anymore.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #20

I was told (I don't know by who) that newspaper subscriptions just paid for the paper and the ink and advertisement paid everything else. If this is true can't they make their money that way?
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote