Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
Multi-Slacker

Knives (not kitchen)

Most guys have a pocketknife that they carry on a daily basis. So, other than that daily carry and excluding kitchen knives, what additional, if any, knives do carry or use?

In my case, I sometimes take a small sloyd knife with me. Even though the blade is < 3", it is a belt knife and Kalifornia frowns on carrying it so it lives either in the toolbox or my other gear bag. I seldom use it although it would be handy at times.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #2

Lets see - I have a Swiss knife in my back pocket, a sheath knife in my console, a Leatherman in my glove box, and several in the tool box. Never seem to have the right one when it comes to cheese and wine tho.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've been a Case guy since way back when my grandfather first gave me his 60 years ago... but...the Leatherman Squirt PS4 has become my preferred pocket knife/tool in the past couple years.

At 2.2" closed and just 2oz. it is ideal to carry in your pocket and does so much more than just a knife.

Squirt PS4 Keychain Multi-Tool

They also make the Squirt ES4 that has a wire stripper instead of pliers.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I've been a Case guy since way back when my grandfather first gave me his 60 years ago... but...the Leatherman Squirt PS4 has become my preferred pocket knife/tool in the past couple years.

At 2.2" closed and just 2oz. it is ideal to carry in your pocket and does so much more than just a knife.

Squirt PS4 Keychain Multi-Tool

They also make the Squirt ES4 that has a wire stripper instead of pliers.
I'll have to check out the one with the wire stripper. Assuming its a set of dykes, which I am always needing, I want one.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #5

Always have my Swiss Army Knife close by. It has a lot of great functions it can accomplish. Bigger knife in the toolkit if ever required.
JoePa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #6

My every day carry is a 4" Gerber multitool
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
I'll have to check out the one with the wire stripper. Assuming its a set of dykes, which I am always needing, I want one.
If by dykes you mean wire cutters, then yes.
Two actually. One that cuts fine wire at the tip of the strippers and another that cuts slightly larger wire just above the pivot point. Just remember, these are micro tools. You won't be cutting 8 gauge wire or battery cables with them!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #8

I keep a leather an tool in my Jeep Wrangler and a Case Trapper in the motorhome. I also carry my father’s small Buck pocket knife that he carried always for many years. The Case Trapper has always been my favorite
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #9

Thats funny

Quote:
If by dykes you mean wire cutters, then yes.
Two actually. One that cuts fine wire at the tip of the strippers and another that cuts slightly larger wire just above the pivot point. Just remember, these are micro tools. You won't be cutting 8 gauge wire or battery cables with them!
My other half ran her own electricians business for a while, and now we work mainly on our horse farm. The first time I asked her for a pair of dykes, she gave me a strange look and said, what are dykes. I explained it was short for diagonal cutting pliers and she said she had never heard them called that, they were side cutters. Led to some banter about same. I carry a kershaw knife. We handle 1000 lb animals at the end of a rope and you need a knife you can open with one hand in an emergency, like when you are being dragged or pinned against a tree with a lead rope holding you down. I also have a collection of knives that are mostly for display. My family never runs out of gift ideas for me, I always love getting a new knife.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #10

I have more knives than I do flashlights. I have been a collector of knives since I was about twelve and have worn one all day, every day since that time. All through high school I wore a Buck 110 in its sheath on my belt. I still have that knife, but I haven’t worn it since about 1983. I won’t buy a knife that I won’t use and I have used every knife that I have bought except some of my favorites that I have duplicates of in case I lose one or want to give one as a gift. Every knife I own is my favorite knife, but the knife that gets used the most is my EDC Benchmade Barrage 580 drop point with Axis Assist lock. I like this knife a whole lot and it is one of the cheaper knives in my collection. I can’t count how many of these I have gifted.

Bruce
Old 04-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #11

Buck 110. Rule 37(b), NCIS. Never leave home without a pocketknife.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #12

Gerber LST
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinh View Post
My other half ran her own electricians business for a while, and now we work mainly on our horse farm. The first time I asked her for a pair of dykes, she gave me a strange look and said, what are dykes. I explained it was short for diagonal cutting pliers and she said she had never heard them called that, they were side cutters. Led to some banter about same. I carry a kershaw knife. We handle 1000 lb animals at the end of a rope and you need a knife you can open with one hand in an emergency, like when you are being dragged or pinned against a tree with a lead rope holding you down. I also have a collection of knives that are mostly for display. My family never runs out of gift ideas for me, I always love getting a new knife.
You can buy anything on Amazon..... https://www.amazon.com/Dykes-Cutter-.../dp/B0733NRF2C

Dykes 4.5" Side Cutter Diagonal Wire Cutting Pliers Diagonal Wire Cutter Side Cutting Pliers (wire cutter)

I carry a kershaw lock back knife, but when camping my Leatherman or
Greber are not far off.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:18 PM   #14
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Just remember, these are micro tools. You won't be cutting 8 gauge wire or battery cables with them!
No, but they should cut fishing line and hang nails just fine. Where you would wear a belt knife, West Coast saltwater fisherpeople wear dykes. Used mainly for cutting line, but also for extracting hooks and other tasks. A skilled deckhand can do as much or more with a set of dykes as the average electrician can do with a set of pliers.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #15

been carrying knives for years but never bought a real good one. When Gander went OOB I jumped on a Benchmade 556 for about 1/2 price. Been the nicest knife I ever owned.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #16

Sheffield stainless 4" blade brass rosewood lockback handle. Very similar to a buck 110.
35+ years old
Old 04-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #17
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
No, but they should cut fishing line and hang nails just fine. Where you would wear a belt knife, West Coast saltwater fisherpeople wear dykes. Used mainly for cutting line, but also for extracting hooks and other tasks. A skilled deckhand can do as much or more with a set of dykes as the average electrician can do with a set of pliers.
Nope, the tool is an actual wire stripper. All the little cutouts didn't show up in the picture.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #18

lost kershaw

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160119_201320.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	226457

This is a kershaw my son gave me in 2003. I lost it and searched all over for one like it and finally found one. A week later, I went to move an aluminum step ladder and the original was on one of the steps. I was so glad to find it, I put it in my display case and only take it out to show the son, I still have it. It is the most important knife I have.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Old 04-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #19
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinh View Post
Attachment 226457

This is a kershaw my son gave me in 2003. I lost it and searched all over for one like it and finally found one. A week later, I went to move an aluminum step ladder and the original was on one of the steps. I was so glad to find it, I put it in my display case and only take it out to show the son, I still have it. It is the most important knife I have.
I carry a Benchmade given to me by my son. Thought I lost it once and was acutely miserable for a couple of days until it turned up.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:19 PM   #20

couple of days

Quote:
I carry a Benchmade given to me by my son. Thought I lost it once and was acutely miserable for a couple of days until it turned up.
A couple of days would have been great in retrospect. My kershaw was lost for several months, I dont use that step ladder a lot. I didnt want him to know I lost it so I was panning the new one off as the original. I took that picture when I found it and admitted to him that I had lost it and just found it. Turns out, my other half had warned him I was miserable because I had lost it and was having a tough time finding another one just like it, so he knew all along.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours