Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Man Made Spider Webs

....wondering if anyone else has issues with drawers and doors flying open on you when you're driving. Even the refrigerator/freezer door have flown open on me and sometimes the Mrs. isn't with me. It generally happens on streets that have a culver-type dip for runoff. But even on corners traveling at good clip "it happens." So I have to tie two doors and four drawers together and going to two different fixed tie-down places. Stepping into our MH when we're rolling and all you see is a spider web of rope. Usually when I hear old folks lament with "They don't make things like they used to" my response was/is "I'm glad!" What fries me is we have nice wood cabinets but we have to contend with PLASTIC components for so-called hardware that break over and over again. Even those self closing drawers rely on a plastic piece of crap. Why the designers think/thought that the top-drawer in the 38A was going to stay shut with the heavy porcelain cover on it is beyond me. We had the same issues in our Winnebago sightseers (2).

But the sightseers had more serious issues. You ever shut your motorhome door and find yourself locked out? I've had to crawl through the windows on more than one occasion! Not an easy task! A friend that drives a Fleetwood thought I did it accidentally when exiting the rig. Then it happened to him! Now he understands... Which brings something else to mind. Fire escapes and emergency exits. You ever tried using yours just for a practice run? Would somebody here that has a Berk try it out for me? My arthritic joints limit me and it's going to be impossible for me to get my legs up that high no less than use my one good arm! Head first is out of the question!

On a bright note, I'm glad I don't own this 2017 Prevost

That windshield is UGLY. Prefer the panoramic view!
Bud Ezekiel H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #2

Can't compare a Prevost to anything FR makes . like comparing a VW to a Ferrari . if there ever is a fire in your unit and you can't get to the door even jumping out the exit window head first would not be bad compared to burning to death
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

One of the first things we do on any new rig is replace all the drawer/cabinet fasteners with quality 10 to 15 pound pull fasteners. Readily available at any hardware store.

Then we start on replacing all the sink/shower fixtures
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #4

Yeah, I suppose head first might seem better but a few years ago I landed head first on our own sidewalk and split my head open. The clips on my sorrels clipped/clicked together when walking our goldie. (Vice-grips fixed permanently closed the clips) Stitches and scar is easy to live with but I prefer not to endure the pain again.
Bud Ezekiel H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Wow, I guess we've been really lucky. 15+ years 4 different rigs. 3 different brands, never had a drawer come open. Never changed a catch.
The microwave in our last Rockwood would open occasionally. Found the glass turntable on the floor once. How it didn't break is beyond me.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #6

Yep Kydan, I'm thinking you are lucky, or we are unlucky?

We have never had an RV that didn't have at least a couple of problem drawers/cabinets. We started being proactive on replacing catches after a previous RV had a drawer in a position that extending the slide would crush it if it was open. And of course it was designed so you couldn't check the drawer before you moved the slide.

If only some of these designers would actually use their designs before mass producing them
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:42 PM   #7

Be careful testing those emergency exit window. You are not able to open those windows very far before they fall to the ground (as designed).
Old 12-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #8

the pics show how we guard against stuff falling out of the cabinets if the door was to come open while traveling, ... it has never happened, but I know I can, rather to be safe than sorry... they are pieces from the 4x8 vinyl lattice panels from Lowes, cut over size in length and flexible enough to bend/flex to put thru the opening, ... that one drawer is the only one that has opened while traveling, the latch solved that, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1049.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	192834   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1051.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	192835   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1054.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	192836   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1055.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	507.6 KB
ID:	192837  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #9

I would think that being locked out once would be enough for me. I have a key hidden outside and I have never been locked out. Spares in the truck also.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #10

Not one has ever come open.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote