Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #1

Metal Detecting Thread

I have enjoyed metal detecting over the years and still have a few detectors that I usually take on long trips around the US.
It is always fun to find old cabins, foundations, etc and see what people over the years have dropped.
I understand private property rules and usually go in public parks and it is amazing what you may find.
I have found lots of old coins nothing very valuable but getting into an area that has a long history is fun.
You just never know what you may find.

I have found musket balls and even gold nuggets (Minelab detector) here in Arizona.
While in New Brunswick Canada at extreme low tide (500ft off shore) found a large metal ball (not lead) that hit something hard and was deflected and flattened on one side. I think it was a small ships gun during a ship fight.
No matter what happened it was a fun find.

The close up picture of some of my gold I found years ago in California and in Arizona. Yes I still have them.
Look at my picture and see the piece that is shaped like Mickey Mouse with some pink quartz...

Anyone here have and use a metal detector?
How about telling us what you have found.
Attached Images

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
D W

Metal detecting was big here in AK during the 1980's, but the laws have changed since then. It is now illegal to "metal detect" in any State Park, or on Federal Land. While the main intent was to find "gold" many folks would go on "archaeological digs" to collect and pilfer artifacts. The State and the Feds put a stop to it. However, you may still "pan" for gold on these lands as long as you follow procedural requirements. You may metal detect on private land but if you uncover an "artifact" as defined by Alaska Statutes you must notify the Department of Natural Resources, and they decide if you may keep it.

On trips outside, I have seen signs in WA and OR State Parks that also prohibit metal detecting.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Metal detecting was big here in AK during the 1980's, but the laws have changed since then. It is now illegal to "metal detect" in any State Park, or on Federal Land. While the main intent was to find "gold" many folks would go on "archaeological digs" to collect and pilfer artifacts. The State and the Feds put a stop to it. However, you may still "pan" for gold on these lands as long as you follow procedural requirements. You may metal detect on private land but if you uncover an "artifact" as defined by Alaska Statutes you must notify the Department of Natural Resources, and they decide if you may keep it.

On trips outside, I have seen signs in WA and OR State Parks that also prohibit metal detecting.
I used to live in Fairbanks in 1975 - 1979.
Friends I used to drive northout of Fairbanks a few miles and tried different homemade slush boxes worked. On the side of the road with honda water pump and use the water that accumulated there.
Enough flakes to cover the bottom of a baby food jar.
Back then gold was $175 an oz now just shy of $2,000 an oz.
I think I still have that baby food jar someplace witht the flakes.
Thanks for reminding me about.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:01 PM   #4

Down at our property in MO. I did manage to find all my property markers (saved me a couple hundred in Survey fees). There were several old barns many years ago that were either torn down or burned down and the debris is thick around the couple acres around our cabin. I've dug up enough barn nails (old rectangle shape ones), hinges, block and tackle, sliding door rollers. Think I have enough to build my own barn. Haven't even begun to tackle our other 50 acres.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I used to live in Fairbanks in 1975 - 1979.
Friends I used to drive northout of Fairbanks a few miles and tried different homemade slush boxes worked. On the side of the road with honda water pump and use the water that accumulated there.
Enough flakes to cover the bottom of a baby food jar.
Back then gold was $175 an oz now just shy of $2,000 an oz.
I think I still have that baby food jar someplace witht the flakes.
Thanks for reminding me about.
Interestingly enough, to this date, the die-hards continue to "dust" the old gold mines of Joe Vogler up at Woodchopper Creek. There's a fortune up there if you have the ambition.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Down at our property in MO. I did manage to find all my property markers (saved me a couple hundred in Survey fees). There were several old barns many years ago that were either torn down or burned down and the debris is thick around the couple acres around our cabin. I've dug up enough barn nails (old rectangle shape ones), hinges, block and tackle, sliding door rollers. Think I have enough to build my own barn. Haven't even begun to tackle our other 50 acres.
I only wish I lived on a old homestead.
It's alway fun and you sometimes find some surprises.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Interestingly enough, to this date, the die-hards continue to "dust" the old gold mines of Joe Vogler up at Woodchopper Creek. There's a fortune up there if you have the ambition.
Maybe 30 years ago I would but I do miss Alaska. Many hunting hikes that if a bear got me I will never be seen again.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #8

I've had metal detectors since 2009. I do mostly coin shooting. (Not so much lately, but I did have it out at Myrtle Beach during the covid quarantine). One of the best places I hunted on was my friend's farm that has been around since the 1700s. These are the oldest coins I found there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Charles III - 1786 - Fosters (2017_04_30 19_06_27 UTC).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	240194

Name:	Charles IV - 1789 - Fosters (2017_04_30 19_06_27 UTC).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	240195

My wife and I did a little prospecting in New England and North Carolina. We were novices, but we did manage to find some gold flakes. I had them put into a locket for an anniversary present for her.

Name:	locket.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	240196
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #9

Nice finds expecially the coins in CT.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #10

Funny story.

The vacant parcel next to ours has just sold and we wanted to establish the property line. I contacted a surveyor who advised me it would be less expensive if I found the corner pins first. I had already found the pin at the rear of the parcel but didn’t look for the front pin because we are on a private road and the actual parcel corner would be in the center of the road. The surveyor’s research showed that the pin should be located away from the road along the ditch.

So, I went to the local store and bought an inexpensive metal detector to search for the pin in the ditch. The developer had driven a metal T-post where I expected the property line to be so I started searching nearby. As the T-post was metal I didn’t scan right next to it and was having no luck finding the pin. Finally I dug down next to the post and.....yep, there was the pin about 2” below the dirt surface...... could have saved the cost of the detector had I just looked first.

Oh well, now I have a metal detector I can have some fun with.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchdog View Post
Funny story.

The vacant parcel next to ours has just sold and we wanted to establish the property line. I contacted a surveyor who advised me it would be less expensive if I found the corner pins first. I had already found the pin at the rear of the parcel but didn’t look for the front pin because we are on a private road and the actual parcel corner would be in the center of the road. The surveyor’s research showed that the pin should be located away from the road along the ditch.

So, I went to the local store and bought an inexpensive metal detector to search for the pin in the ditch. The developer had driven a metal T-post where I expected the property line to be so I started searching nearby. As the T-post was metal I didn’t scan right next to it and was having no luck finding the pin. Finally I dug down next to the post and.....yep, there was the pin about 2” below the dirt surface...... could have saved the cost of the detector had I just looked first.

Oh well, now I have a metal detector I can have some fun with.
It can be a fun tool. For you it may in the future find things.
Have fun exploring.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorelli View Post
I've had metal detectors since 2009. I do mostly coin shooting. (Not so much lately, but I did have it out at Myrtle Beach during the covid quarantine). One of the best places I hunted on was my friend's farm that has been around since the 1700s. These are the oldest coins I found there.

Attachment 240194

Attachment 240195

My wife and I did a little prospecting in New England and North Carolina. We were novices, but we did manage to find some gold flakes. I had them put into a locket for an anniversary present for her.

Attachment 240196
Oh wow! The coins are very cool. My dad lives in So. Windsor. Lots of history in New England!
LizzyRN is offline   Reply With Quote