Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
It will no problem there, but order the stylus pen for it to, so you can write on the screen, get it from them. Also I got from amazon I think it is called the EEEKIT, comes with a mouse and cables and also a 4 port hub so you can run your thumb drives and mouse at the same time. 21.00 bucks and works as good as the MS mouse. You can use the mouse or sylus pen at the same time it handy for the money.
I use a wireless mouse.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I use a wireless mouse.
It is a wire less mouse, but you only get one slot that whats make the hub great you can use the mouse and thumb drives at the some time. For 21.00 bucks you can't go wrong. If you plug your wireless mouse in and need to install something off a thumb drive to be copied from your computer to down load or use, then your screwed. You will only have 1 3.0 slot and your mouse would need that. Just a thought. I'm sure you know all about it already.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #23
Site Team

Asus has 3 USB slots.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #24

I'm on a Surface (not Pro) right now. I have the hard keyboard and it's just sitting on my lap. Overall I love it.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have a iPad 4, Acer W700 as well. I can say for typing there is nothing like the keyboard on the Acer Iconia W700 comes with Office and real USB3 port i5 processor for speed, the iPad is good for web surfing and social media. I have a Asus Android Tablet that has some nice features being small.
Its all up to what you need and use it for.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #26

I got the original Surface Pro on sale at Christmas. It is a real laptop replacement running the full version of Windows 8.1 on an Intel i5 processor with 4G RAM, 128G SSD. No Office installed. It will run any Windows programs you are already familiar with. The touch screen and stylus are ok once you get used to them. Microsoft is releasing an update for Win 8.1 (full version) later this spring to make it more mouse friendly.
The Surface Pro 2 has a newer low power processor that extends the battery life over the original Pro.

I use the Surface Type 2 keyboard and it is great. It also has a touch screen/mouse, and its keyboard is illuminated with auto off when you move your hands away from it.

The Microsoft Store has sales regularly on Surface stuff. The Apps Store is adding more apps, most are usefull as opposed to the Apple cr@p.

I've used and owned almost all the new toys and the Surface Pro will be my travel PC. You really need to get it on sale since it's a bit pricey at regular cost.

The Surface RT runs a basic version of Windows 8 but has a version of Office installed. Win 8 RT is quite limited in what it can do, as well as in computing power, but is quite adequate for browsing and email.

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerjay View Post
I got the original Surface Pro on sale at Christmas. It is a real laptop replacement running the full version of Windows 8.1 on an Intel i5 processor with 4G RAM, 128G SSD. No Office installed. It will run any Windows programs you are already familiar with. The touch screen and stylus are ok once you get used to them. Microsoft is releasing an update for Win 8.1 (full version) later this spring to make it more mouse friendly.
The Surface Pro 2 has a newer low power processor that extends the battery life over the original Pro.

I use the Surface Type 2 keyboard and it is great. It also has a touch screen/mouse, and its keyboard is illuminated with auto off when you move your hands away from it.

The Microsoft Store has sales regularly on Surface stuff. The Apps Store is adding more apps, most are usefull as opposed to the Apple cr@p.

I've used and owned almost all the new toys and the Surface Pro will be my travel PC. You really need to get it on sale since it's a bit pricey at regular cost.

The Surface RT runs a basic version of Windows 8 but has a version of Office installed. Win 8 RT is quite limited in what it can do, as well as in computing power, but is quite adequate for browsing and email.
Do not know what you mean, I have the rt with the 8.1 free upgrade, they run the same apps and mine came with office preloaded as I stated. The only difference is the pen to write. I can still right in the base depending on which key board I pick, the difference is I have to insert it buy touching the insert icon. I have a 64 bit model with 10 gig of cloud free and added a 32micosd card. It's as powerful as the surface pro same apps and every thing. I have a type 2 snap on key board and mouse, and 4 way bus. to add and down load anything I need off a thumb drive. So with out the advantage of the pen, what is the difference? just want to know mine was 230.00 dollars. Side to side you wouldn't know the difference it sysics. to my homegroup and can copy any file that I need. and also use my printer at home. I have yahoo, google, outlook and explorer. but was 400.00 cheaper. What is diff. with Pro except the processor? It might be a little slower, but I'm not going anywhere. So what will the pro do differently. I really do not know? with skydrive you really do not need that many gigs and that's free.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #28

The RT has a different processor and it won't run all windows applications like the pro version. The RT is supposed to be a direct competitor to the iPad while the pro was designed to replace laptops with something lighter weight and more flexible. Microsoft does put office on the RT but it was written specifically for RT versions of windows 8/8.1.

A quote from examiner.com:

"If you want to use the Microsoft Surface tablet for web browsing, email, and social networking the Surface RT will suit your needs. Even though the operating system is technically Windows 8 you can not use traditional Windows applications with the Microsoft Surface RT. Much like your smart phone you will be able to add apps that will be available from Microsoft’s Windows Store".

In my opinion the pro is the best option if you're going to get a surface.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Thanks everyone, I will definitely do some checking on the Pro to make sure it's what I want.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #30

I bought 2 of them on Black Friday with the keyboard. I am not a big fan because it is not as user friendly as my ipad2 but is nice to have word, excel, and PowerPoint and also a USB for flash drives. This is my first windows 8 device and I think it is more of a learning curve of the operating system vs the device. My son is a senior and high school and absouly loves his as does his friends in college. I guess standing in line for a few hours was worth it.
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #31

Okay... I've just caught up on this thread! Glad to hear everyone is looking or using them. I thank you, my kids thank you, and MOST importantly... my RV thanks you! ;-)

I work for Microsoft so I'll set a few things straight here. Surface Pro is a full OC whereas Surface 2 (previously RT) is ARM processor based. Which means that you cannot load programs on an ARM based processor like a regular PC (Intel based). Office comes preloaded on RT devices however not on Pro. The Pro comes WITH the stylus which allows you to ink (handwriting).

Now some geeky stuff. All (except original RT) allow Miracast. Thus, if you have upgraded your TV in your rig to a modern LED (or buy a $60 miracast adapter), you can wirelessly stream audio and video to your TV! Netflix, ABC, NBC, HBO apps, etc. We just released today the Surface 2 with LTE on ATT. (It's an unlocked device so technically you can put a VZW SIM in there.)

The Pro has X fold the number of apps of ANY platform. Heck... I run Bluestacks on my Pro and run any Google store app as well! Don't let anyone tell you that MS has "less apps" because my standard answer is... "What's the need for 200 fart apps?" I rest my case. ;-)

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMSNT View Post
Okay... I've just caught up on this thread! Now some geeky stuff. All (except original RT) allow Miracast. Thus, if you have upgraded your TV in your rig to a modern LED (or buy a $60 miracast adapter), you can wirelessly stream audio and video to your TV! Netflix, ABC, NBC, HBO apps, etc.
Will check out Miracast, not likely on my TT television but the Surface Pro has a nice micro HDMI built in too.

I loaded Win 8 on a extra HD on my desktop. It's nice to sync settings between the Pro and desktop Win 8 installs and share the Apps Store apps.

When is the update to Win 8 this spring? If you can drop hints ...

Old 03-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #33

What features are you looking forward to or anticipating, BeerJay?

Old 03-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #34

None of the Droid or Windoze tablets impressed me. I have been using a iPad since, well, Apple invented the Tablet <G> A couple of things I have learned over the years:
1. You really can learn to type fast on the iPad virtual keyboard but if you do not like not having tactile feedback, get a apple bluetooth keyboard (defeats the purpose of a tablet IMHO but YMMV
2. Steve Jobs was wrong. A stylus is a really good thing! I have a stylus and use Notability app and write just as good as I used to on a paper tablet. Yeah I can putz with my finger but a stylus is mo better

Oh, one comment about a keyboard "case" for your tablet. If you are gonna do that, why not just pitch out the tablet and get a netbook/Macbook Air?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #35

Quote:
What features are you looking forward to or anticipating, BeerJay?
Well I'm using Classic Shell on the desktop to deal with the non-touch screen issue on the desktop for now. So a better mouse experience would be good.

The schizophrenic OS moves from Metro to Desktop are better in 8.1 but could be improved.

IE10 is not as easy to use in Metro as on the desktop but its usable.

The Metro interface has a lot of potential on the tablet and phone side, the PC side needs some tuning.

Our company IT folks said Win8 will never be deployed, we have 10's of thousands of PCs. I understand there is a 2015 or so Win8 version with a corporate slant coming too.

Win8 is a lot like Win ME, some promising stuff that needs further thought. I hope the Win ME folks have been able to swim to shore after they were rewarded ...

Old 03-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
The RT has a different processor and it won't run all windows applications like the pro version. The RT is supposed to be a direct competitor to the iPad while the pro was designed to replace laptops with something lighter weight and more flexible. Microsoft does put office on the RT but it was written specifically for RT versions of windows 8/8.1.

A quote from examiner.com:

"If you want to use the Microsoft Surface tablet for web browsing, email, and social networking the Surface RT will suit your needs. Even though the operating system is technically Windows 8 you can not use traditional Windows applications with the Microsoft Surface RT. Much like your smart phone you will be able to add apps that will be available from Microsoft’s Windows Store".

In my opinion the pro is the best option if you're going to get a surface.
Yes if you want to pay the big bucks, I guess it comes down to what you want to do with it. I don't understand what you mean it can't run all the windows program. I guess you can load programs with the pro, or do you still have to load the apps only? that's where I'm confused here. Is there a difference in the apps you can buy from the store or something. How do you load programs to a pro? I'm not the smartest when it comes to these IT stuff. what can't I run on 8.1 OS? that a pro can, I guess that is my question. Except of course the pen option, wish it had that.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #37

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean it can't run all the windows program.
The Surface 2 can only run apps from the Microsoft online store as opposed to the Surface 2 Pro; plug in a USB DVD/CD drive and load up any app that you want which runs on Windows.

The stylus on the Surface 2 Pro is like writing with a fine tip pen/pencil. The stylus for the Surface 2 or iPad is like drawing with a crayon.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #38

Quote:
The Surface 2 can only run apps from the Microsoft online store as opposed to the Surface 2 Pro; plug in a USB DVD/CD drive and load up any app that you want which runs on Windows.

The stylus on the Surface 2 Pro is like writing with a fine tip pen/pencil. The stylus for the Surface 2 or iPad is like drawing with a crayon.
Thanks for your answer now I know and understand, Can you also use the external drive to run programs without loading them in the unit? I know that I back mine up to external drive 500 gig. Programs eat up a lot of space. How much space comes with the Pro2? I really like the pen part for notes. In essence you are saying it's a 10" computer. And if I understand you correctly the Pro version you still can only use apps? correct........That's good info thanks again..

Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #39

Quote:
Thanks for your answer now I know and understand, Can you also use the external drive to run programs without loading them in the unit? I know that I back mine up to external drive 500 gig. Programs eat up a lot of space. How much space comes with the Pro2? I really like the pen part for notes. In essence you are saying it's a 10" computer. And if I understand you correctly the Pro version you still can only use apps? correct........That's good info thanks again..
The Surface 2 Pro is a 10" computer capable of running ALL apps (MS online store AND DVD/CD/MSI/EXE types). The Pro comes in 64, 128, 256, and 512 GB versions. I have the 64 GB personally and then I put in another 64 GB SD card. I run Adobe Lightroom on the road so when I'm taking family pics and such, I process them and sync them up online.

A little known fact and something to look at is MS Onedrive (formerly Skydrive). At face value it appears as free storage (7 GB but can purchase up to 100GB per year) however... nested inside is MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote online. Are these FULL featured Office apps? No. However, when on the road it's nice to just have them online for what you're doing. Oh, btw, the online versions work on iPads, Chromebooks, and Android devices...as well as Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc. All tested and supported by MS! :-)

Old 03-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #40
Mod free 5er

Finally got my Surface 2 and the type keyboard. Man, is there a lot to learn to do on this thing.