Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
Mod free 5er

Microsoft Surface Pro

Anyone have one of these with the typing keyboard? Comments.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #2

I've been working with some at work and I really like them. Stay away from the touch cover keyboard, they are junk in my opinion. You'll want to get the type cover as it has real keys, not the soft touch keys and is much easier to use. The things I like: nice durable enclosure, clear sharp screen, full windows OS so you can run any windows application, good battery life. There are also USB docking stations that have monitor outputs so you can run a larger display if you want. I know Windows 8.1 isn't loved by many but I I've found it to be very stable and easy to use. About the only thing I don't like is it doesn't have a built in cellular wireless but a mobile hotspot fixes that really easy and is more of a requirement for how we use Mobile devices at work. When the iPad reaches the end of its useful life I'll get a Surface.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Always Learning

I've heard the same about the real keys keyboard vs. the touch one. I also read that a huge benefit to the Surface is that the keyboard gets its power from the tablet vs. having to keep the keyboard charged separately.

I read that a negative is a limited number of apps in the App Store.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #4

Microsoft Surface Pro

I agree about the App Store. It is no where near as developed as the Apple Store, but you can run flash on a surface.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Thanks, thinking seriously about getting one with the typing keyboard. How long does the battery last if left on constantly? Would love to get unhooked from a power supply while in FL.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #6

We have both touch and type covers. Everyone prefers type cover. Power cover coming out now with additional battery in a type cover, but without backlit keys.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Thanks, thinking seriously about getting one with the typing keyboard. How long does the battery last if left on constantly? Would love to get unhooked from a power supply while in FL.

If you're using it heavily you're looking at 3-4 hours before a recharge. I've had them sit at my desk in standby mode for a couple days and still have juice for an hour or so of work before a recharge was needed. Since it's running an i5 processor, which has more oomph than the processor in an iPad, it will use more battery.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
If you're using it heavily you're looking at 3-4 hours before a recharge. I've had them sit at my desk in standby mode for a couple days and still have juice for an hour or so of work before a recharge was needed. Since it's running an i5 processor, which has more oomph than the processor in an iPad, it will use more battery.
Thanks everyone, getting prices, want it mainly while camping so I can use it outdoors without being tied to an electrical outlet.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
Site Team

OC, I don't have surface but do have Asus android tablet with detachable keyboard and Asus notebook, same size as tablet with keyboard and windows 8. Very pleased with both.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
OC, I don't have surface but do have Asus android tablet with detachable keyboard and Asus notebook, same size as tablet with keyboard and windows 8. Very pleased with both.

Does it have the typing keyboard or the touch?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #11

I have used the Surface for the past few months since the Surface 2 came out. I have used the keyboard but also purchased a wireless keyboard so that I could have the surface on a table and still type. Apps are few in number and also some issues with certain e-books and other digital magazines. But working through them all. The DW has the kindle fire HD and she loves it. Yes, we do have a hot spot for wireless connection. Been working great -- even tho' we are not camping yet since we have several inches of snow on the ground and frost in the ground. Come on Spring.
wiscoheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Do they come with Microsoft Office installed?
Old 03-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Anyone have one of these with the typing keyboard? Comments.
I bought a Surface RT and added the type 2 keyboard, It works great. I frist got the touch key board and if you didn't touch each key in the center it wouldn't type like a computer. Sent that back and got the lighted one and it just like typing now. Been happy with it. I wish they had a better gps direction program but they are working on it now. The apps are cheap maybe 1.99 each. You have to buy them from the store ms. But they keep adding them more and more. Battery life is great last a long time. What it is like is a computer almost, came with windows 8 and free download for 8.1. I got a refurbished one for 230.00 dollars and then I bought the type2 keyboard for 139.00. I have the internet, yahoo and google. The mapping program I use is Map Pro. I e mail the developer and tell her what I like and dislike about it, but it will give you correct routes not like Garmin. Also map pro will give you spoken directions but it will not show where you are at on the route. I think it's just like a little computer. For the money it was worth it. The Surface pro you can write on the screen and do some other neat things. Looked at the Ipad and it was to much money for me. You have a front and rear camera and a video. Plus you get skydrive free to store files. I got an app for 7.95 with 10.5 hrs of training for it. I also bought a 32gig storage card for it. about 39.00. So I can store files either drive. It's 64 bit for the money and first one I tried I think it's worth the money. Comes pre loaded with word, excel, note book and outlook just like a lap top. You can type either on the keyboard or on the screen. Hope that helps you OLD GOAT...... with the pro you can make notes written. Both will let you open to or 3 apps together and share the screen and work back and forth. I would get the Pro if I had the money for what I paid I can't complain. They also have a ton of free apps. You save storage by sending them to the sd card or skydrive.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
Site Team

The tablet has removable keyboard and touch screen. The windows 8 notebook has attached keyboard and touch screen. It was under $300 at Christmas.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
Site Team

Wife working on notebook. Tablet in foreground.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395002625291.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	47831  

Old 03-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #16

Here we go old man, My surface rt next to my lap top with the type 2 key board attached, also will pick up WiFI at any camp ground or your router.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surface next to my lap top 001.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	47833  

Old 03-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Here we go old man, My surface rt next to my lap top with the type 2 key board attached, also will pick up WiFI at any camp ground or your router.
Thanks for the pictures guys. I will probably go with the Surface Pro with the typing keyboard. I do hope they have MS Office installed.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #18

Last I heard it comes with office for free
Old 03-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #19
Site Team

Yes! Asus has office free. Word. Powerpoint, Excel. Etc.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures guys. I will probably go with the Surface Pro with the typing keyboard. I do hope they have MS Office installed.
It will no problem there, but order the stylus pen for it to, so you can write on the screen, get it from them. Also I got from amazon I think it is called the EEEKIT, comes with a mouse and cables and also a 4 port hub so you can run your thumb drives and mouse at the same time. 21.00 bucks and works as good as the MS mouse. You can use the mouse or sylus pen at the same time it handy for the money.