Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2024, 02:52 PM   #1

Modern America campgrounds

Does anyone know anything about Modern America campgrounds? They just bought the campground here in Rhode Island where I have a seasonal site. They are based in Boston and apparently are aggressively buying up Mom & Pop campgrounds in the east. The one review I could find online doesn't speak highly of them at all, but I know you can't form an opinion based on one review. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand info. TIA.
Charlie

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 03:13 PM   #2
Site Team

In my experience, any time a larger corporation buys a smaller campground, the prices immediately go up. They usually double at minimum to start with.

Seen it happen to many small CGs around me.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 03:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
In my experience, any time a larger corporation buys a smaller campground, the prices immediately go up. They usually double at minimum to start with.

Seen it happen to many small CGs around me.
It is a concerning trend lately. Family owned campgrounds being bought by large companies. Not saying it will always be a bad thing, however places not likely to have the same feeling when not owner operated. Also, more people to pay since the owners likely need to hire management to run the CG. That leads to those higher rates you mention. Locally, within a couple hours, 4 CGs were bought by companies who hire managers to operate. We use one of those. Rates did not double, thankfully.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:18 PM   #4

I hope I am wrong but New Jersey is forcing all municipalities to allow developers to build high density low and moderate income housing to address a shortage of same. Campgrounds are large tracts of land. While they might stay Campgrounds for a while, I can't help but wonder if their long term plan is to use the land for housing
Tlmgcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:29 AM   #5
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlmgcamp View Post
I hope I am wrong but New Jersey is forcing all municipalities to allow developers to build high density low and moderate income housing to address a shortage of same. Campgrounds are large tracts of land. While they might stay Campgrounds for a while, I can't help but wonder if their long term plan is to use the land for housing
Where I'm at in Mass., They don't let mobile home trailer parks be counted as "affordable housing" units. This is a big deterrent for communities to allow new seasonal campground construction because they assume it will turn into a worst case scenario. And yes I know the difference between mobile homes and travel trailers; but, that doesn't stop many from wanting to stop any and all development.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:57 AM   #6
Defender of America

My point is that local communities (in many areas) are fighting diligently to keep new campgrounds from being created and this creates a direct correlation to corporations buying up the existing ones.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Where I'm at in Mass., They don't let mobile home trailer parks be counted as "affordable housing" units. This is a big deterrent for communities to allow new seasonal campground construction because they assume it will turn into a worst case scenario. And yes I know the difference between mobile homes and travel trailers; but, that doesn't stop many from wanting to stop any and all development.
I am not talking about using trailer for low-mod housing. Rather, using the land for a housing complex
Tlmgcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlmgcamp View Post
That and warehouses.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:36 AM   #9
Defender of America

I understand what your saying. I've actually built a 300 unit and a 500 unit complexes for "affordable house". In both cases the Towns were not happy but were forced to accommodate because they didn't have enough housing units that were considered low income available. But on the flip side they also made local regulations so stringent and prohibitive for new construction that housing development was almost non-existent.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 05-23-2024, 10:42 PM   #10

Modern America Beware

As a former employee I know first hand how they operate.
If you complain they tell you if you don't like it leave. They will promise you the moon and give you NOTHING in return PLUS they will raise your rates alot. They are supposed to follow the previous owners contracts but the will come in and put their 10 year rule in effect right off. which is if your camper is older them 10 years old and you want to sell it you can't sell it on the campground property. Just a reminder you haven't signed a contract with Modern America yet they can't tell you what you can and can't do because your under your OLD contract. If the try and push it get a Lawyer involved. They believe that they can do what they want and push everyone around because they are from Boston. You will NEVER see the owners visiting the campground.

Best of luck
brakeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 08:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakeneck View Post
As a former employee I know first hand how they operate.
If you complain they tell you if you don't like it leave. They will promise you the moon and give you NOTHING in return PLUS they will raise your rates alot. They are supposed to follow the previous owners contracts but the will come in and put their 10 year rule in effect right off. which is if your camper is older them 10 years old and you want to sell it you can't sell it on the campground property. Just a reminder you haven't signed a contract with Modern America yet they can't tell you what you can and can't do because your under your OLD contract. If the try and push it get a Lawyer involved. They believe that they can do what they want and push everyone around because they are from Boston. You will NEVER see the owners visiting the campground.
So it's been about a month since opening day at camp, and this is definitely not the feeling I'm getting. We had our annual "seasonals meeting" and the new managers (mother/daughter team) were very open, honest, and sincere. They explained how some things would change, and some would remain the same as they have been. After that they took questions from all of us. They took the time to make sure all questions were answered, and if they didn't have an answer they took notes and promised to get answers.

In addition to that, I was contacted directly by the new owner, who asked me about my concerns. Again, I felt there was nothing but sincerity and honesty. There were no hollow promises, or "If you don't like it find another campground" attitude.

It's a business, I get it. The idea is to make money. As long as they can keep prices reasonable I think things here will work out well for everyone.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
Does anyone know anything about Modern America campgrounds? They just bought the campground here in Rhode Island where I have a seasonal site. They are based in Boston and apparently are aggressively buying up Mom & Pop campgrounds in the east. The one review I could find online doesn't speak highly of them at all, but I know you can't form an opinion based on one review. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand info. TIA.
Charlie
I find that itís not the large corporations but the people hired to run it and oversee daily operations. There is probably a reason why the previous owners moved on. I read your last post I hope things continue to go well. For those predicting gloom and doom try not painting with such a large brush. Let each place speak for themselves.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
I find that it’s not the large corporations but the people hired to run it and oversee daily operations. There is probably a reason why the previous owners moved on. I read your last post I hope things continue to go well. For those predicting gloom and doom try not painting with such a large brush. Let each place speak for themselves.

Most Mom and Pop campgrounds get sold for a few reasons. Age of owners with no family to take over, declining visitors, and need for expensive upgrades. The last reason often contributes to the second so new ownership may well make the park more desirable.

Upgrades cost $$ so it's only natural fees will go up but in this day and age, what doesn't.

So if your favorite campground costs more after being sold, complaining won't help. My favorite restaurant is under new mgmt and costs more too. In reality everything costs more and sales/service people are more "difficult" ----- everywhere.

Welcome to the new millennium.
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg