Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

Motion Sickness

We just took a test drive and I was in the dinette of the Motorhome and I wasn’t feeling so good.
Do you get used this? What are your cures for this besides Dramamine?
KWhite2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Motion sickness tends to come from mixed signals to your brain, your body feels the movement, but your other senses, like your eyes, don't send the same signal.

I don't know Motorhomes, but in general for vehicle induced motion sickness, the best bets are being in the front seat, with a clear view outside, or closing your eyes and resting.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Always Learning

We don’t have a motorhome, but my wife DOES get motion sick.

My wife prefers Bonine for motion sickness vs Dremamine. She says Dremamine makes her sleepy.

I doubt she could sit anywhere but in the passenger seat, looking out the front windshield.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #4

If you are sitting in the dinette face forward and leave the blinds up so you can see the outside.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #5

I have what I would call extreme case of motion sickness. If Im riding and simply look down Im instantly sick. But, i used to fly a LOT for business. First few months were bad. But I got used to it, near the end I would load up in a plane and go to sleep. Thats how used to it I got. So yes, it can get better
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We don’t have a motorhome, but my wife DOES get motion sick.

My wife prefers Bonine for motion sickness vs Dremamine. She says Dremamine makes her sleepy.

I doubt she could sit anywhere but in the passenger seat, looking out the front windshield.
Thank you! I think I’ll start with Bonine! I have had luck with it before.

I’ve never tried a motion sickness bracelet so I’m may try it. I will be upfront most of the time but just Incase I switch with the kids for a bit.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
I have what I would call extreme case of motion sickness. If Im riding and simply look down Im instantly sick. But, i used to fly a LOT for business. First few months were bad. But I got used to it, near the end I would load up in a plane and go to sleep. Thats how used to it I got. So yes, it can get better
This was our time in a rv and I had a feeling it was going to happen. The rep was in the passenger seat because it was my husband’s first time driving a class A. So I let them talk.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:03 AM   #8

There are two types of dramamine so be very careful to ensure you select the correct one.

Non-drowsy meclizine is a great product for motion sickness and is the ingredient you want to make sure is in the dramamine you purchase. I personally just buy a 100 count bottle of meclizine tablets for about 97 cents from Sam's Club. Most stock it but if they don't, they can special order it from their distributor, American Bergen Source, the next business day. If they won't order it, call a club manager to complain. Special orders is something that they can and should do for a customer even for a 97 cent bottle of OTC meds.

The other motion sickness drug is Dimenhydrinate which can be sedating and I don't use it unless you don't mind sleeping while your significant other is driving.

None drug methods of preventing and/or treating motion sickness is to reduce air temps (open window if it is cool outside), stare out of a window in direction of travel, avoid alcohol and eating full and/or hearty meals before the trip, and keeping your head movement to a minimum while driving.

Prescription meds such as scopalamine patches work really well with some sedation but not as bad as dimenhydrinate. Drinking ginger ale helps too with the upset stomach from motion sickness.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote