Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek
No wonder the DW said double clutch your butt away from that toy hauler. LOL

90K load???? - overweight permit, go around the scales, or does farming have special rules?
In Iowa during harvest were allowed to run 90 k.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've seen some of the old timers around here run their early 60's grain trucks so overloaded they hang a slow moving sign on the back and creep to the mill. It's a wonder those trucks don't break in half.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #23
Hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
The only reason I do it cause I miss it !

Turbs
Left the farm at 17 to join the Air Force. 50 years later, I still don't miss getting up to milk at 3:30 AM to milk when it is -10 degrees F and cleaning out the gutters after milking. The Air Force lt me sleep in until 5 AM even in boot camp. They sent me to college after spending 3 years in Vietnam then they retired me when I was 63 so I could bother people about where to camp next. We are headed out to New Mexico for the winter in about 3 weeks. Don't miss cleaning cow teats before breakfast. Maybe grain farming would have been fun but a dairy farm sure wasn't.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I so miss my tobacco raising days. Still have my spear heads and cutter, but I'm sure I couldn't run a row like I use to. Still would like to give it a whirl, but alas. very few, if any, tobacco farms are left in OH.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Never milked a cow but I think grain farming is the way to go ! Lol
The Deere I'm running tonight is fully automated.
All I have to do is turn around on the end rows then the tractor takes over from there....... leaves me time to post on frf !
It does warn me when I'm getting close to the end so I can set my phone down and do my courteous turn for it.
I haven't looked up this entire post ! Life is great !

Turbs
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #26
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
In Iowa during harvest were allowed to run 90 k.
Sweet truck (Pete ?) by the way. I did a few month gig for Swift as it was a bucket list item of mine to get a CDL-A and actually drive a big rig. Found out later what the comapny names stands for..........
sure wish I finished training
see what I f'ed up today
two fags in a white semi - backwards version.

Mine was a 2011 Intl Prostar. 8mpg and still spent 700-800 bucks in diesel every 3-4 days. No wonder O/O guys are going broke. Completed all my goals and bucket list item. I got hired back at my old company so hung up the keys.

Now you know another reason why I bought my RV at Cheyenne Camping Center. It's accross the freeway from the I-80 truck stop! Man I love that place
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek

Sweet truck (Pete ?) by the way. I did a few month gig for Swift as it was a bucket list item of mine to get a CDL-A and actually drive a big rig. Found out later what the comapny names stands for..........
sure wish I finished training
see what I f'ed up today
two fags in a white semi - backwards version.

Mine was a 2011 Intl Prostar. 8mpg and still spent 700-800 bucks in diesel every 3-4 days. No wonder O/O guys are going broke. Completed all my goals and bucket list item. I got hired back at my old company so hung up the keys.

Now you know another reason why I bought my RV at Cheyenne Camping Center. It's accross the freeway from the I-80 truck stop! Man I love that place
Yes 379 Pete !

I'm Prolly 20 Minutes from Cheyenne as we speak running this chisel.

There was a THREE tractor trailer accident at I80 truck stop today.... had west bound traffic backed all the way up to Davenport!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #28
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I so miss my tobacco raising days. Still have my spear heads and cutter, but I'm sure I couldn't run a row like I use to. Still would like to give it a whirl, but alas. very few, if any, tobacco farms are left in OH.
Tobacco farms in Ohio? I never knew that. Thanks
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #29
Trailer Trash

I-80 has a confusing entrance as there is another truck stop very close to it. AND the fact it's soooo dang big, drivers forget to watch the road instead of staring at the I-80. It was in the news last week that they are adding another 100+ parking spots so they are turning the place into a must see attraction for professional drivers. All the parking is great. All the big rig traffic, not so much. Took me forever to turn out of the Cheyenne parking lot with my new Columbus.

Drive safe. Get sleep. If you can't sleep or drive, watch these.

Convoy - The Movie (1978) - YouTube

joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #30

This is as close as I get to the big boy toys! But it is my favorite time of the year to mow and do leaf removals and such at my second job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2363545692.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	20218  
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote