Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2017, 10:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellee View Post
Cool! Maybe we can meet up sometime.
You bet !
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
Has anyone else banned food from your truck? The wife seems to think that it is a bit overboard to not allow the kids to eat in the truck. I disagree of course (especially Cheetos). Hey kids, when you buy a $70,000 truck. Go ahead and do what ever you want to it. But in my truck, sit down, shut up, and enjoy the view.
The relationship that you have now with your wife and children is a precursor of what it will be in years to come. Good or bad it is your choice.... On the food issue, you are choosing wrong... Your wife and children WILL remember about your harshness. You get out of Life, what you put into it.... Life events should NEVER BE About YOU...... it should be about THEM, your wife and children. Life is really to short and flys by too fast to worry about the small stuff.... and this is really small stuff. EVERYONE should eat in the truck and at the end of the day EVERYONE should help in cleaning up as best as possible. 'Trips' are stressful enough with out adding more stress over nothing. Yes, eating in the truck is NOTHING, but is a part of the adventure of traveling and being TOGETHER.... down the road you will regret being a clean freak at the cost of your wife and kids. Get Weather Tech floor mats and Armour All wipes to keeps the mess to a minimum. And enjoy that Adventure together... mess and all.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #23

Brother Les, you are an inspiration and always hit the nail on the head. Nothing more to say. Thank you.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:15 PM   #24

My father never let us eat in the car on trips, and we had to be super careful about not scratching this or that. Don't roll the windows up and down too many times it may break prematurely, etc.
I hardly remember any of the trips. Just the harshness.
Choosing material over road trip memories was not for me when I raised my kids. When I sold my vehicles it did not make one bit of difference whether the kids ate or drank in the SUVs or trucks. It all cleaned up.
Choose wisely.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:15 PM   #25

What is important?

My grand kids love to ride with us in my truck. We go camping, pull a float in the annual Christmas parade, and take trips. If the truck gets dirty, we clean it. It is only a truck. It has bells and whistles, cost too much, but it is still just a truck. If I have to choose between a fun trip or clean truck, the truck finishes second. Pass me a fry, please.
2015 Ram Big Horn
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:43 PM   #26

The grandkids can eat whatever they want , 8 of them youngest is 5 oldest is 13. I look at there only with us for a short time and I want to remember the good times with them. Not worried about a few crumbs or juice in a pickup truck. Holy cow, it’s just a form of transport. But to each there own, very sad IMO.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
The relationship that you have now with your wife and children is a precursor of what it will be in years to come. Good or bad it is your choice.... On the food issue, you are choosing wrong... Your wife and children WILL remember about your harshness. You get out of Life, what you put into it.... Life events should NEVER BE About YOU...... it should be about THEM, your wife and children. Life is really to short and flys by too fast to worry about the small stuff.... and this is really small stuff. EVERYONE should eat in the truck and at the end of the day EVERYONE should help in cleaning up as best as possible. 'Trips' are stressful enough with out adding more stress over nothing. Yes, eating in the truck is NOTHING, but is a part of the adventure of traveling and being TOGETHER.... down the road you will regret being a clean freak at the cost of your wife and kids. Get Weather Tech floor mats and Armour All wipes to keeps the mess to a minimum. And enjoy that Adventure together... mess and all.
I am choosing wrong and being harsh because I don’t want my kids eating food in my truck? Or am I teaching them how to be respectful of other people’s space? How to maintain nice things. Work hard and take care of what you have. I also don’t let them eat on our couches. Or in the living room. Or in their rooms. Is that harsh or good parenting. They also have chores. Is that harsh too.

Come on man. I have a different perspective of teaching than you do. That doesn’t make it wrong. Believe it or not, my kids aren’t starving. We just stop and eat at a table. They can go “hungry” for awhile. Builds character. Immediate self gratification isn’t one of my goals to teach my children.

My kids are 25, 21, 19, 17 and 9. The 3 older then 18 have jobs. There own place to live. Nobody on drugs. Nobody pregnant. One just bought his first house. I’d be cautious of judging me And my parental skills based on a simple fact that I don’t want kids eating in my truck.
That sir is harsh.
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:52 AM   #28

Quote:
I am choosing wrong and being harsh because I don’t want my kids eating food in my truck? Or am I teaching them how to be respectful of other people’s space? How to maintain nice things. Work hard and take care of what you have. I also don’t let them eat on our couches. Or in the living room. Or in their rooms. Is that harsh or good parenting. They also have chores. Is that harsh too.

Come on man. I have a different perspective of teaching than you do. That doesn’t make it wrong. Believe it or not, my kids aren’t starving. We just stop and eat at a table. They can go “hungry” for awhile. Builds character. Immediate self gratification isn’t one of my goals to teach my children.

My kids are 25, 21, 19, 17 and 9. The 3 older then 18 have jobs. There own place to live. Nobody on drugs. Nobody pregnant. One just bought his first house. I’d be cautious of judging me And my parental skills based on a simple fact that I don’t want kids eating in my truck.

That sir is harsh.

Amen!!! I bet none of them expect a participation trophy either for not winning. I agree 100% with you brother.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:31 AM   #29

Quote:
Has anyone else banned food from your truck? The wife seems to think that it is a bit overboard to not allow the kids to eat in the truck. I disagree of course (especially Cheetos). Hey kids, when you buy a $70,000 truck. Go ahead and do what ever you want to it. But in my truck, sit down, shut up, and enjoy the view.
You open a thread asking people whether or not they share your same views in a very strong and opinionated way...

Quote:

That sir is harsh.
...And then get spun up that people judge you based on your original, "My way or the wrong way" approach?

Quote:
I am choosing wrong and being harsh because I don’t want my kids eating food in my truck?...
A little... It is just a truck. Eventually it will be replaced...your kids are not replaceable.

Quote:
...Or am I teaching them how to be respectful of other people’s space?....
No, you're forcing it.

Found on the Google Machine:

"Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way."

What at 25, 21, 19, 17 and 9 have you done to allow them to disrespect a $70,000 truck and lose your trust?

My kids at 7 and 4 know enough to approach me with an issue (like spilled milk) so that I will be there to help them with a solution. Through that, I teach them how to handle a given situation so that they can do it on their own the next time.

Let them spill...Help them clean it up....Let them apologize...And move on to the fun things in life.

I am sorry if what I have written above offends you or I seem judgmental but you came into this thread with your guns blazin'...people tend to resist that approach.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:42 AM   #30

Sorry, but you won’t get any support from me. It’s just a TRUCK, not an operating room!

Did you buy it to go RV’ing and make HAPPY memories with your family? Or did you buy it to keep it squeaky clean to (presumably) impress people you don’t know (‘cause I can guarantee you’re not impressing your wife and kids), while alienating everyone who sits in it?

Do you suffer from a bit of OCD – Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?

My mom had a sign in our kitchen: My home is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:26 AM   #31

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
My truck is about 13 years old. I have washed it about 5 or 6 times a year... usually before long trips. I have detailed the inside maybe 3 or 4 times total. I have waxed it once (last year). I have a (now) 7 year old son. We eat in the truck. We crawl in the truck after walking in rain, mud, sand, snow, and everything in between. I keep the trash picked up and clean any spills when/if they happen. While I'm sure it wouldn't pass the OP's version of clean, at a glance it looks like new inside and out. I bought my truck to get me from point a to point b reliably... not to impress myself or anybody else with how it may look.

For what it's worth, I can only recall one spill ever and it wasn't even food... it was sunblock lotion.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post

Spot on Les. It reminds me of the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Marie takes the plastic off the couch.

https://youtu.be/-YpGwwDizyA

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 AM   #33

Quote:
There's no right or wrong here...it's personal preference. I try to keep my truck clean but the dogs can make a hair mess in there. I let the G-kids eat, I eat sometimes, but the wife isn't allowed sunflower seeds. I call my wife car the garbage can...as it's anything goes in there, which is a little too extreme for me.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:52 AM   #34
NH Maple Maker

We have always allowed our kids to eat in the car or truck especially on long trips. They were taught to clean up their mess if they made one. Our kids are all grown and out of the house now and grew up to be responsible adults who don't use drugs and have successful careers.

As far as the house is concerned we were about the only parents that had a structured meal time. The rule was the kitchen closes at 6, be there or go hungry. As a result our house turned out to be the one that all of our kids friends wanted to hang out at. It turns out that they liked the structured meal times and that we knew where they were and what they were doing.

Spilled things clean up and "happy wife, happy life" is true for kids too.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #35

Our kids could eat and drink until their hearts were content. Our dogs cleaned up any spills the kids made. Leather cleans up easily and I've always had thick rubber mats on the floors. We only live once and why worry about silly things like this, it's just a vehicle.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:18 AM   #36
Insert witty title here

No food or pets allowed in the truck. When we do go out RV'ing, the dogs ride back in the trailer. The kid doesn't like it but wifey is on board with it.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #37

Talking

We waited till the kids were out of the house to upgrade the tow vehicle
2018 Salem 27DBK
charlie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #38
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
You open a thread asking people whether or not they share your same views in a very strong and opinionated way...

...And then get spun up that people judge you based on your original, "My way or the wrong way" approach?

A little... It is just a truck. Eventually it will be replaced...your kids are not replaceable.

No, you're forcing it.

Found on the Google Machine:

"Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way."

What at 25, 21, 19, 17 and 9 have you done to allow them to disrespect a $70,000 truck and lose your trust?

My kids at 7 and 4 know enough to approach me with an issue (like spilled milk) so that I will be there to help them with a solution. Through that, I teach them how to handle a given situation so that they can do it on their own the next time.

Let them spill...Help them clean it up....Let them apologize...And move on to the fun things in life.

I am sorry if what I have written above offends you or I seem judgmental but you came into this thread with your guns blazin'...people tend to resist that approach.

Spot On.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #39

[QUOTE=Mslaman;1682178]Has anyone else banned food from your truck? The wife seems to think that it is a bit overboard to not allow the kids to eat in the truck. I disagree of course (especially Cheetos). Hey kids, when you buy a $70,000 truck. Go ahead and do what ever you want to it. But in my truck, sit down, shut up, and enjoy the view.[/QUOT

My father was much like you. Not physically abusive, but very strict, especially with "stuff". His way ONLY. He never hit or whipped us (this was the 50's and 60's) when it was "allowed". But was very domineering and oversaw EVERYTHING we did.
I left home at 17 after highschool, joined the Navy, became a cop, married, had kids, retired, ect ect ect.
Point...from the day I left home until the day he passed, I never saw or spoke to my father again. Almost 30 years. Never introduced my wife, kids to him. My mother got smart and finally had enough and left. My two younger sisters never had much to do with him after they were old enough to strike out on their own.
He passed away an old, lonely man. I don't even know where he's buried.
You only have one chance and one go around...why make it so un-enjoyable for those around you, especially your own family?
It may come back to bite you.
Oh, since 1964 I've owned maybe 100 vehicles (+ or -) and when I traded them in, never once do I remember being asked if anyone "ate or drank" in them.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I don’t let the dogs ride in my Jeep, (mainly because they can’t get in it) but my wife lets them in her Lexus (mastiff, golden doodle and Maltese). The kids have and still do eat in all our vehicles. Our road trip food list has always been the comparison of giving a 10 yr old $100 and turning them loose in the grocery.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck