Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Here's a suggestion: The OP should trade in his $70,000 truck for a $40,000 truck and stop worrying!

With the extra $30K, he could replace the entire interior before he sells it!
I agree. It's just a truck! My kids and grandkids mean more to me that my truck.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #62
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
Has anyone else banned food from your truck? The wife seems to think that it is a bit overboard to not allow the kids to eat in the truck. I disagree of course (especially Cheetos). Hey kids, when you buy a $70,000 truck. Go ahead and do what ever you want to it. But in my truck, sit down, shut up, and enjoy the view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
How about just following the simple rule of respecting other people's property - you know the one that says "My House,My Rules"? Or in this case - "My Truck,My Rules"

Nothing wrong with following rules but that isn't how the OP presented it.

He asked if anyone else banned food in the truck and that the DW disagreed with his decision. That opens this topic up for discussion/opinions. Six pages later, you got lots of them!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
If your truck cost $70,000 and there no eating in it, then what did your house cost? Will you allow playing in it? OMG.... I bet you use those cute little booties at the dump station too...
I had an obsessive compulsive co-worker that put towels on the floorboard of his vehicle when he had fellow travelers! A little extreme and sad!
Old 12-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #64

Quote:
I am choosing wrong and being harsh because I don’t want my kids eating food in my truck? Or am I teaching them how to be respectful of other people’s space? How to maintain nice things. Work hard and take care of what you have. I also don’t let them eat on our couches. Or in the living room. Or in their rooms. Is that harsh or good parenting. They also have chores. Is that harsh too.

Come on man. I have a different perspective of teaching than you do. That doesn’t make it wrong. Believe it or not, my kids aren’t starving. We just stop and eat at a table. They can go “hungry” for awhile. Builds character. Immediate self gratification isn’t one of my goals to teach my children.

My kids are 25, 21, 19, 17 and 9. The 3 older then 18 have jobs. There own place to live. Nobody on drugs. Nobody pregnant. One just bought his first house. I’d be cautious of judging me And my parental skills based on a simple fact that I don’t want kids eating in my truck.
That sir is harsh.
You asked for opinions sir! Life is short.............After the grandkids ride in my vehicles...........I break out the vacuum...........no harm done.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #65
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
I agree. It's just a truck! My kids and grandkids mean more to me that my truck.
This.

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #66

Life is short. Buy them some Cheetos and let them wipe the yellow on the seat. Smile when you clean it up.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #67

I partially agree with the OP...not that anyone asked. I/we pay an extreme amount of money for these vehicles and want them to stay nice. We ask everyone to respect our vehicles interior and exterior and make attempts to keep it nice, but it is a motor vehicle not anything more. I was raised dirt poor(and still am) and taking care of stuff is the right thing to do. Treat your vehicle as you will and ask others to respect your vehicle as you wish.

One of the comments about the overlord looking over their shoulders hit close to home....me. I tend to watch and notice maybe more than I should. Those comments are giving me reasons to rethink. They are kids.

Thanks for the heads-up.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #68

I’d like to thank everyone for their comments. Some agreed. Some did not. I probably worded my question a tad incorrectly but that’s my mistake.

Either way. In the end it’s your truck. Your family. Do as you will. I wasn’t trying to start a argument. (rookie mistake).

I have to go clean out my wifes BMW. Evidently there was an accident with a food tray on the way to Girl Scouts.......hopefully it wasn’t cheetos
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:44 PM   #69
Scoundrel

Quote:
I have to go clean out my wifes BMW. Evidently there was an accident with a food tray on the way to Girl Scouts.......hopefully it wasn’t cheetos
My dog could clean that BMW like you polished it with Amor All.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #70

Kids have excellent memories.

The initial post seems harsh, but not uncommon. Too bad some went into attack mode. I've known many parents that are demanding and have intense rules. Now 70, I've seen the results of some children raised under those circumstances. I'm not talking drug users, ex cons, or family abusers, but folks that missed out on the fun of living. I've seen parents scream loudly when a child spills milk in a restaurant or drops a fork. Children don't do it on purpose, but accidentally. A great time can be ruined by an unreasonable response. I was a rule maker with little tolerance for children most of my life. After adopting my daughter things changed. I had a new way of seeing things. Now a Grandpa of two, my vision is even better. I hope your methods mellow a bit. Maybe you children run to greet you when you get home; I hope so. I'm sorry if I'm preaching, but kids weren't always part of my camping experience. My truck will last longer than me and so will my Kiddos.
2015 Ram Big Horn
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #71

Hey, it's a truck. Enjoy.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #72
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETCHIEF View Post
The initial post seems harsh, but not uncommon. Too bad some went into attack mode. I've known many parents that are demanding and have intense rules. Now 70, I've seen the results of some children raised under those circumstances. I'm not talking drug users, ex cons, or family abusers, but folks that missed out on the fun of living. I've seen parents scream loudly when a child spills milk in a restaurant or drops a fork. Children don't do it on purpose, but accidentally. A great time can be ruined by an unreasonable response. I was a rule maker with little tolerance for children most of my life. After adopting my daughter things changed. I had a new way of seeing things. Now a Grandpa of two, my vision is even better. I hope your methods mellow a bit. Maybe you children run to greet you when you get home; I hope so. I'm sorry if I'm preaching, but kids weren't always part of my camping experience. My truck will last longer than me and so will my Kiddos.
One of the finest posts I've read on these forums. Thank you.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #73

I have struggled with this debate my whole driving life. I want to keep things neat and nice but I also see the practicality of eating on the road as that is how I grew up.

DWs first new car with a kid he threw up in it the first week. A few years later he left McDonald's cup in the door cup holder for weeks until the bottom fell out and sprite worked it's way down the inside of the door sticking it shut (not my car so I didn't notice this). He thought the crack between the seats was a trash bin. I spent countless hours cleaning it.

My last car had 1 issue when I sold it after 12yrs. A soda exploded when left in the car on a zero degree night. Thought I cleaned it all up and summer the sugar turned brown all over the headliner. Guess who was responsible for that...me. It does clean up mostly.

I get a truck and said no food. That lasted maybe a day before we were running between practices and needed to eat. I gave in quickly.

Now I just let it happen. We camp it gets muddy bloody and food in it. I clean it when we get home. Everyone has their issues. If yours is no food in the truck you still have fun. Think of all the roadside stops you see when eating. We missed that growing up.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #74

This all reinforces why you shouldn't bother buying $70K trucks and BMW's when you have kids. Leave them to the yuppies (OK, I'm showing my age!) Accidents are going to happen. Not a matter of "if," but "when."

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #75

In my house, the truck isn’t important, the people are, we use everything we have, my 2 golden doodles have full use of the 3rd seat lol, your kids are way more important and worth more than that truck will ever be!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #76
Scoundrel

Quote:
This all reinforces why you shouldn't bother buying $70K trucks and BMW's when you have kids.
Its a personal choice. My dog doesn't make the mess in my truck that my friends make. My dog still lets my friends in the truck.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 12-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #77

Quote:
This all reinforces why you shouldn't bother buying $70K trucks and BMW's when you have kids. Leave them to the yuppies (OK, I'm showing my age!) Accidents are going to happen. Not a matter of "if," but "when."
Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Its a personal choice. My dog doesn't make the mess in my truck that my friends make. My dog still lets my friends in the truck.
I didn't mention dogs, only kids. Unless you've got a drooling St. Bernard, dogs mostly just shed.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:21 AM   #78

No eating in the dining room, you might get crumbs on the floor. No playing in the yard, you might ruin my grass. Get in your rubber room and enjoy life. Now I don't drive or pull with my truck because I might wear it out.
Ttramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:34 AM   #79

At first the kids are in my truck, until I had ants, because they were putting the wrappers in the door panel. After I cleaned it up I decided to put a small trashcan in the back floorboard. It works .

Sent from my XT1650 using Forest River Forums mobile app
071567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:52 AM   #80

Me,the wife and Grandkids enjoy snacking in the truck. It cleans up.
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck