Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #21

Cast iron cooking is not hard...

In the early 70's I learned how to fry turkeys in a rendering kettle with an open fire underneath. We bought lard and cooked in down to an oil, then fried the turkeys. The only temperature control we had were the potatoes we cut up beforehand.

The next day we removed all of the lard save the last 1 to 2 inches of lard covering the inside of the kettle and turned it over until the next use.

When needed again it was turned back over and wiped out, re-heated and new lard was added. It may sound gross to some but the farmers that taught me thought this was the way to do it. Nobody was ever sickened by this in that last 40 years. We still do it.

Some may understand this and have enjoyed the crackling's from a real cook. Others may be put off by this but I will assure you that we had a special only for this use boat paddle used for stirring the pot.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #22

No soap here. I clean mine by simmering a little water in it and gently scrubbing it with a nylon brush. Dump and rinse and re-oil while its hot. If there's any residual flavors left after that then soap surely isn't going to help it.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:22 AM   #23
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Don't worry about the pebble finish. It won't hurt the pan at all. It'll still be just as non-stick as long as it's properly seasoned.

Don't worry about washing it with soap. I've been using cast iron for many, many years and I've never hurt the finish by washing it with soap.

The real trick is proper seasoning. There are only a few websites that recommend proper seasoning technique.

1) Wash the pan well and dry it. Drying it over a stove burner/element is fine.
2) Oil the pan on all sides with a very thin layer of oil. 100% vegetable oil is as good as anything. A lot of people recommend Lard or Crisco, and either of those are fine also.
3) It's up to you, but it's a good idea to line a lower rack of the oven with aluminum foil.
4) Put the pan upside down on a rack and turn the oven to 500ºF.
5) Turn the heat off after one hour. Leave the pan in the oven until it cools.

If that's the first time seasoning the pan, it's a good idea to season it another time or two before use. Also, the seasoning process will emit odors, but don't let that alarm you.

Everything Bama Rambler said be true.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #24

Clostridium botulinum, staph, and perfinogens are not necessarily killed by heat. Staph especially is not killed by heat. The purpose of detergent is to increase friction, which helps clean out the pan. As we can all see, every one has a different way of treating their pans and they all get the job done. Dish detergent is not the same as bar soap. I doubt folks here are using bar soap to wash their dishes. As in anything, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #25

If I didn't know better I would think, from reading some of the posts, that cast iron must be very fragile.

Now don't skin a cat, just wash him down with soap and water...just joking.

====
I think some people would be well advised to just buy a high-quality Demeyere pan. A lot less work and easier to adjust temperatures. Unfortunately nothing to argue about and no secret or expert opinions to bestow on the unwashed...hm...just a natural pun.

==========
Building my secret list of who's invitations to turn down for dinner at their RV and instead suggest a meal out. :-)))
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote