Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
Problems with Oregon's DMV

I'm finding out the hard way that purchasing an RV is the easy part. Getting the title and license through the Oregon DMV, impossible. We sent the paperwork in right after purchasing our RV and we've now gone though our 45 day temporary license and a 10 day extension only to find out today that it will be at least another 2 weeks before the Oregon DMV will be able to get to our title and license request.

After spending several hours at the Oregon DMV they told us to call back in a week to see if there is any update. At that point, they may be able to issue us another 45 day temporary license. I guess the only option I have if I want to camp is to go without a license and hope I don't get caught. I'm very frustrated with our dysfunctional government at this time.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

Why can't you just drive down to DMV and do it right there that day?

Stopped at DMV on the way home with the lite in tow, had the plates on and paper work in the 250 before 5:00 that day.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #3

I'm morbidly curious, I admit, as to what is going on here.

"Sent the paperwork in"???? What does that mean? I just bought one out of state, and I don't have any state paperwork to send anywhere. Normally I'd get a S.O.O. from dealer/manufacturer, but Ohio decided to title all RV's!!! So, now I have to wait till the financing bank gets the title, then have them fax it to my Revenue office instate. I go stand in line, hand them my finance sheet, they match it with the faxed-in title, reissue the title in my name and give it back to the financing bank. I pay the sales tax, and prove I have assessed it for personal property tax, and they hand me a license plate..........good forever, no renewals.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Why can't you just drive down to DMV and do it right there that day?

Stopped at DMV on the way home with the lite in tow, had the plates on and paper work in the 250 before 5:00 that day.
The paper work was sent from the bank via FedEx to the DMV per the instructions from the DMV. Even though the DMV signed for the paperwork and cashed our check, they said they couldn't find the paperwork. Now after several visits to our local DMV office, they seem to have found the paper work but it goes to the bottom of the pile and they say they are 2 week behind in processing.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I'm morbidly curious, I admit, as to what is going on here.

"Sent the paperwork in"???? What does that mean? I just bought one out of state, and I don't have any state paperwork to send anywhere. Normally I'd get a S.O.O. from dealer/manufacturer, but Ohio decided to title all RV's!!! So, now I have to wait till the financing bank gets the title, then have them fax it to my Revenue office instate. I go stand in line, hand them my finance sheet, they match it with the faxed-in title, reissue the title in my name and give it back to the financing bank. I pay the sales tax, and prove I have assessed it for personal property tax, and they hand me a license plate..........good forever, no renewals.
When we stopped in at the DMV the first time to get the title and license for the RV, we were give explicit instructions to send the bank our DEQ certificate, DMV license application and a check to cover the licensing and title costs. The bank was then to sent these documents to the DMV along with any documents needed to transfer the title. Seems like a complicated process but they said it had to be done this way. BTW, we also found out today that they quoted us the incorrect fees for this so we now have to give them additional money to cover the costs once they start processing.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #6

Hmmm. Yeah, I guess basically that's equivalent to my needing to get bank to fax the title info to our Revenue (DMV).

This is cheating........but do you have another trailer? I have a utility and boat trailer, if I got the license of off one of those, I bet I could tell the "ossifer" (if I was stopped) that it was MY trailer tag and I was fighting DMV for the camper tag!!! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Seems really messed up. I drive 2 minutes, stand in line maybe 2 minutes, pay $40, walk out with permanent tags.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Seems really messed up. I drive 2 minutes, stand in line maybe 2 minutes, pay $40, walk out with permanent tags.
Sounds like you live too close to the DMV!!!

(I crack myself up!)

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithe View Post
...Getting the title and license through the Oregon DMV, impossible...
FWIW, I had a similar experience. This was my first time purchasing a vehicle out of state with financing, so every other time I've had the title in hand. Additionally it seems a little different in the case of a "upfitted" chassis to an RV. Upon my first visit to the DMV I was informed of the process that I needed to complete the paperwork and send to the financier along with my payment to the Oregon DMV. The bank would then send the title, MSO, my paperwork and check to the DMV and I would continue to wait. Aside from the timing it was relatively smooth, with the exception that (at the DMV's suggestion) I registered with both myself and DW, yet my DW was not on the loan (merely because she wasn't present at the time of purchase). A few months went by and the bank demanded that I remove my wife from the registration, which required completing the process a second time, along with the associated fees.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Guess I would not choose Oregon for a place to move. Here we wait for dealer to send paper work to DMV couple weeks go by pay and pick up tags at DMV office. Ya it's 3 miles from me. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #11

Sounds ridiculous to me. Hope they don't treat everyone that way. Guess DMV in VA and FL are okay cause I've never had those issues.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
MUst have something-------------------

B and B , you must have something on the workers at DMV for you to get special attention.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:32 PM   #13

I bought my TT in Michigan ,they put the Temp tag on TT, gave me the paperwork, I came home to arkansas, then when I had time I went to dmv, paid the ark sales tax and $42 for lifetime tag and I was out of there in 15 minutes. No one mails their paperwork and a check to the dmv. No mater what sate it is. This sounds like the person that paid for a TT when ordering it and is now making payments on a TT that still hadn't been delivered
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #14

I waited almost 6 months for my tags, with numerous trips to Dmv and calls to Salem,about 2 years ago. Finally without my tags,I still had my plate, they told me I could use my 5th wheel and if I got pulled over to tell the officer the tags were being processed. So I feel your pain and fustration.
litz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:09 AM   #15

Guess I got lucky. Registered a 5th wheel from Ca. to Oregon....took 10 minutes. Bought a different 5th wheel a few months ago.......stopped at DMV......took 20 minutes even standing in line.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote