Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #21

Flying for fun, no license is needed. If OVER half a pound you need to register YOURSELF with the FAA. $5.00 for 3 years. You put your registration number on each aircraft, I have mine in plain sight but YOU DO NOT NEED to, under a battery or easily accessible area is what is required IF YOU ARE ASKED BY authorities. You do not need to put your name, address and such on it unless you think you will lose it and are hoping the finder will call you. Your registration number can be used to track you too.
I have a Yuneec Q500+ and a DJI Mavic. The Mavic is the one I take everyplace because of its small size. Last year while at a Montana state park after most of the campground had left I flew the Mavic. I got some good photos and video of the campground. After I landed the camp host told my daughter it wasn't OK to fly it. There was no information to the contrary on any of the paperwork or the camp signage. I've stayed at many places that have signs saying no 'drone' flying is allowed.
It was no problem because the place was almost empty. I wouldn't fly with a full campground. Too many people get freaked out because of all the anecdotal fear of being "watched" even though from 100 feet or more it is very hard to identify any certain person other than by the color of the clothes.
I have demonstrated that exact aspect to several people since I've been flying quadcopters, they're always surprised by how much you can't identify if flying 100 feet or higher. I know of no "consumer", under $1500.00 aircraft, that comes with a zoom lens to its camera! YET!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #22

"I'm From The Government, and I Am Here To Help You"

Just kidding.

So, following lots of detours and blind alleys, I have come to the conclusion that "Drones" under 0.55 pounds do not need to be registered.

Here is the rabbit hole I followed:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/model_aircraft/

Point 1 = Hobby Only

Point 2 = Register the craft

But wait, ........ Go to the bottom and click the link "Examples of UAS that do and do not require registration"

Examples of quads under 0.55 pounds DO NOT require registration, but heavier ones do.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_star...gistration.pdf

Then see this link that says you must register drones more than 0.55 pounds up to 55.0 pounds:

https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/

Simple as that!

YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK.

(THESE PUBLIC SERVANTS must be paid by the number of publications that they produce)

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #23

Most of the info about if you can or can’t fly in state parks is listed on that states website for Montana
Administrative Rules of the State of Montana
NEW RULE XVI UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS AND MODEL AIRCRAFT (1) Launching or operating an unmanned aircraft system, drone, or model aircraft from a state park is prohibited unless:
(a) use is authorized by a commercial use or special use permit; or
(b) use occurs within an area specifically designated for such use by the park manager.

AUTH: 23-1-106, 23-1-111, MCA
IMP: 23-1-106, 23-1-111, MCA
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
I fly a phantom 3 professional and just about always have it with. Always ask The campground before you fly and if you are going to fly around your site talk to your neighbors too. You would be surprised at how many will enjoy pics of there rig from a different angle. Or how you can help them with a short fly over to look at their roof. I know a couple of the camp grounds I have flown at are using the pics I gave them on their fb pages and websites. Remember you can not charge without having a commercial license

What do you think of the DJI Spark?
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpotapa View Post
Haven’t flown one yet
I’ve had a phantom 1 and the 3 both have been great drones for flying outside
The compact size seems nice but I would lean toward the new maverick pro if the budget allows longer flight time quieter
Hope to have a chance to fly one this summer a friend upgraded from a phantom 2 to the maverick
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpotapa View Post
Take a look at the new Mavic Air.
3 axis gimbal vs 2
front and rear obstacle avoidance vs front only.
Longer battery life.

By the time you add controller to Spark prices not that far off.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Take a look at the new Mavic Air.
3 axis gimbal vs 2
front and rear obstacle avoidance vs front only.
Longer battery life.

By the time you add controller to Spark prices not that far off.

I actually just got a DJI Spark fly more combo for 299. It’s an open box but we opened it up and it looks brand new. The plastic was still on the drone. It’s a green one but I couldn’t pass up that deal.
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #28

I have the Mavic Pro and it’s amazing, rumour is there is a Mavic 2 coming next month.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #29

I have been looking at them for some time. My brother is an expert rc aviator and does shows and such, I have always been into the wheeled end of things but these new drones have me thinking family video etc.. I like the typhoon Pro so far, 1500 bucks is a little steep but I like the package. I like the idea of simply parking it off the beach and filming the family for a few minutes, etc.. Or going to the house in the UP and filing the shore and such.. I see lots of uses for it.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
I have the Mavic Pro and it’s amazing, rumour is there is a Mavic 2 coming next month.
I have the Phantom 4 Pro. It has a great camera and is an amazing quadcopter with tons of features, but it's lacking the portability of the Mavics. I've seen the rumors for the Mavic 2 also. I'm hoping it has the great platform of the existing Mavic with the camera and features of the Phantom 4 Pro.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:01 AM   #31

Call me Mr. Negativity but I would not be holding my breath on a mavic 2 right now. The mavic air just hit last month. I expect a closer to Christmas release but I do hope I am wrong. One thing to keep in mind with the air version vs mavic pro/platinum is the air operates on boosted wifi. Early reports have been claiming shorter than advertised range in a neighborhood setting loaded with wifi signals.

My platinum has been a beast that I have taken beyond the 4.3 mile advertised range. In my experience the battery life is my biggest range limitation. I am FAA registered as well haha.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #32

[QUOTE=Scrapper;1734656]I think some will argue with me.

You must get a permit from the FAA and the permit must be on your person anytime your operating the RC aircraft. Until recently you only need to have one permit to operate 5 aircraft, now you need a permit for each aircraft and I believe the permit must be attached to each individual aircraft.

That reminds me, I need to renew my permit(s). I fly 1 fixed pitch helicopter and 6 planes, 2 planes are identical except for the motors. None have cameras on them.[/QUOTE

Where do you get a permit ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Check with the campground management, They are not allowed in many including most Fed parks.

Policy Memorandum 14-05, released by the National Park Service (NPS) director in June 2014, directed each superintendent to use the authority under 36 CFR 1.5 to prohibit the launching, landing, or operation of unmanned aircraft, subject to the certain conditions and exceptions set forth in the memo. This is still in force with a very few exceptions.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #33

Federal Drone Registration
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote