Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #21
Always Learning

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7273.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	160331
Old 01-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #22

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I don't blame the kid... he's probably never even seen or experienced a flat tire. Changing tires used to be a regular part of driving a car... just like driving a stick was. Tires are far more reliable now than they were when we and our parents were growing up. I can recall several times sitting in the car on the side of the road while Dad changed a tire... and that's just the ones I was there for and remember. I've driven close to 1,000,000 miles over the last 30+ years and I only recall ever getting 1 flat tire while on normal roads (excluding off-roading). Many (most?) new cars don't even come with spare tires anymore.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
Old 01-16-2018, 11:57 PM   #23

Name:	IMG_2066.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	160332

Nuff said!
Old 01-17-2018, 12:03 AM   #24

My city's sanitation department offers curbside bulky item pickup about 3 times a year, pretty handy for Spring cleaning. Recently I had three rusty old bicycles set out for pickup when a young kid of about 10 years old or so walked by and asked me if he could take one of them. I said sure, but they're in pretty sad shape. He told me he just wanted it for parts for a custom bike he was building in his dad's garage. I gotta admit that pretty much made my day. I told him to take whatever he wanted and to help himself to some other stuff I had laying around.
Not all kids have that drive, and that's OK. But when they do, I firmly believe in encouraging it. Kids have to remember there's no shame in getting your hands dirty every now and then. The country has enough baristas!
Old 01-17-2018, 01:25 AM   #25

Sad times.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cn7gZWUUMAAJop4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	160333  

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:20 AM   #26

I’ve been reading these threads thinking the same thing. I’m a yr away from AARP. I started late and have an 11 and 5 yr old. Luckily, the 5 yr old is still more gung ho to hang with dad and watch what I do. I still drag the older one out to work on the house project, change oil, change a tire, etc. he doesn’t like it but humors me.

There are several kids around the same ages in the area. They have no clue how to do any of those things. From what I have seen and heard, they all want to make big bucks online playing games or doing other crazy things on You tube.
nowadays, one can make 7 figures a year playing video games and acting like a nut on social media. I was just reading about a 6 year old that tapes himself watches others play videos and laughs and carries on. He made over 1.5 million last year from this. No wonder they don’t care about working and learning the trades, etc. My own kid told me the other night, he wants to be a professional U tuber. I told him ok, on two conditions. You finish school and then make your fortune and take care of my mom and dad. He said, it’s a deal. Times have change gentlemen.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #27
Citrus County, Fl.

Most of the younger people today lack the skills we acquired growing up partly because we as parents never exposed them to these and partly because, as others have said, they are not needed as much. Today's young adults are more book smart than street smart. When I retired from the fire service 8 years ago one of the things we had to teach during orientation was basic hand tools since some could not tell the difference between a straight screw driver and a phillips. But, who do we go to when we can't figure out how to do something with our phones or computers.

My son, now 34, took things apart as a child (sometimes to my dismay) to see how they worked. Now he takes ideas in his head and builds or improves things. He learned to drive with a 75 Ford F250 and a manual on a 92 Toyota pickup (which he now has) and hates driving an automatic.

It's a different world and they have skills we have a difficult time comprehending.
99 Terry 31G
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
When I retired from the fire service 8 years ago one of the things we had to teach during orientation was basic hand tools since some could not tell the difference between a straight screw driver and a phillips.
I also retired from the fire service and we had some young newbies that didn't know which way to turn, for tightening and loosening.
No one every taught them "Rightly tighty, Lefty loosy".

I recently watched a video conference about the Millennial generation.
The speaker spoke of 4 key aspects of that generation.
#1 was failed parenting. They were always told that they were special and could have and do anything they wanted. They always got rewarded for just being there and were shielded from competition. Participation trophies with no effort required.
All this did nothing to prepare them for the real world.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 01-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #29

Our 29 year old son is a community college guidance counselor and can tell some stories as can our 32 year daughter in law who has been teaching high school since she graduated......... I told the daughter DIL that she should write down the stories and write a book where she retires...

but..... interesting side note is our son (guidance counselor) has the most problems with the vast numbers of helicopter parents that can't understand why they can't do everything for their college kids......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 01-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I also retired from the fire service and we had some young newbies that didn't know which way to turn, for tightening and loosening.

#1 was failed parenting. They were always told that they were special and could have and do anything they wanted. They always got rewarded for just being there and were shielded from competition. Participation trophies with no effort required.
I'm 33. I grew up in a very rural area. I moved to a larger city about 6 years ago. It is SHOCKING what people my age don't know. I'm wondering if it's less of a generational thing, and more of a 'where you grew up' thing.

Half the crap I do from mechanic work to home improvement is because there was nobody around to do it for me. I had to figure it out. That, and my parents made me learn on the crappiest cars. It loved it then, and I love it now. I promise that my daughter's first car will be an old beater with a manual transmission.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

This is NOT a new phenomenon, although I agree it's gotten a lot worse in the past 25-30 years. When I went to Navy Aviation Electrician "A" school in 1971 (46 yrs ago), the first training booklet we were given had the following:

"This is a straight slot screwdriver (pic). It is used for tightening and loosening screws."

I was really surprised. But what surprised me even more was that there were a couple guys in the class that learned something that day!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 01-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We failed !!!!! We have no one to blame but ourselves..........

My kids are not wonderful but my youngest is 29. I taught him to drive on a stick, he changed a tire in our driveway at 16, because I made him. He got a 100% on his driving test he was the first in his schools history......... because I made sure he knew how............ He has never been in an accident.....

He got his masters degree and bought a reasonable house. Last month he paid off all his school loans. He still drives a stick he still owns his car he helped to buy new in 2007. He has done many home repairs on his own house including changing out his garbage disposal. He was given an outdoor table set which he recently refinished and it looks better that it did new.

Sorry I blame the parents not the kids..................... we failed..............

Congratulations and your right. Blame the parents.

Similarly proud parent of 1 engineer and 1 teacher with no student loans.

On a dark note, we had 5" of snow on Sunday and MLK day. 5" of snow, no school, and not 1 kid was ever out looking for a job. And of course all their dads have snow blowers, so they wouldn't even have to shovel.

Disappointing. But not surprising.

I have CDO. It's like OCD only in alphabetical order as it should be.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #33

guys when I started this it was because I have no kids so I am just amazed that we have come to this scares the crap out of me what the next generation is going to be
Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
guys when I started this it was because I have no kids so I am just amazed that we have come to this scares the crap out of me what the next generation is going to be

It scares the crap out of me too.

I’ve got 2 boys. 13 and 10.

The 13 year old makes about $900 a month off of YouTube making videos and is saving his money to go to college to be an electrical engineer.

The 10 year old trains in MMA and could whoop most grown men’s butts.

Neither do I push to do anything that I did as a kid. Every kid has a mind of their own. People tell me I’m crazy letting my teenager spend as much time on the internet a day as he does. But he’s very productive with his time and has a goal. The younger one most likely isn’t college bound per say but has dreams too. He’s usually right next to me getting his hands dirty hooking and unhooking the trailer, wrenching on toys etc.

Blame who you want, in the end the world wouldn’t keep spinning if everyone was the same. It takes all kinds to make things happen...
Old 01-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #35
Just as confused as you

My experience has been when in charge of 18 to 25 yo's on a job when you give them something to do you almost have to hold their hands explaining how and why, and many times showing them the way to do the task at hand. What's really frustrating is when you show them over and over again they still don't learn.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 01-17-2018, 10:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Every generation says the same thing.

Kids like us that HAD to learn to change a tire, didn't have AAA. Or pocket computers that would give them a Youtube of how, if they really need it, and make a call if needed, also.

Only real problem I see in "today's kids" is that they stay Liberal longer than they used to............

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 01-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 10 yr old DD. The other night she watched me assemble a new doll house. She started out thinking I couldn't do it and dad should do it. I said why? I'm perfectly capable. When I was done she was shocked her mom could do such a thing. While I admit, it was an easy task, I learned how to use tools when I was younger. I even learned how to change a tire and change my oil in autoshop. I don't do these things today because paying for an oil change can be cheaper than buying the oil and then disposing of it and because 20" tires are just too heavy for me to change.

DD also asked me one day why I make her do chores. I told her I am teaching her how to survive when she gets older. I went to college with a girl (one of my good friends ever since college) who did not know how to do her own laundry, boil water, make coffee etc. She also couldn't gas up her own car because in NJ you are not legally able to. We were in DE so she had to learn. I taught her how to do all of these things and much more. After I told my daughter this story, she said thank you mom for teaching me.

She may not be car smart although DH will teach her some stuff, but she will know how to do basic things and even drive a trailer! I am letting her start learning how to ride horses this spring. Working with horses as a kid and teenager may not have been cheap for my parents but I learned the value of hard work to get something I want. I would spend my entire weekend and a couple hours during the week working at the barn to help pay for my horse's board. I never saw a dime as it came off of the bill. I didn't care, my reward was my horse. I expect DD to learn this too as she will be expected to work at a farm or somewhere else when old enough to help off set the cost of whatever activity she wants to do at that time. Working like I did, when I got older, I learned to handle my own debt and not rely on someone else. My sister didn't have the same challenge because she didn't do anything expensive so any job was money in her pocket. She still relies on my parents all the time to help her out with lots of things. I thank my parents for teaching me responsibility and how to be strong enough to take care of myself. I WILL be teaching this lesson to my DD.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:15 PM   #38

One thing I learned as a kid from my old man was...

Either learn how to fix things to save money or make enough money to pay professionals to fix things.

I chose the second part of that lesson.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #39

Quote:
just saw a liberty mutual commercial
are kids really so dumbed down that they can't even change a tire...
sad world we live in
Is this a lug wrench? Love that commercial.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
One thing I learned as a kid from my old man was...

Either learn how to fix things to save money or make enough money to pay professionals to fix things.

I chose the second part of that lesson.
It takes both. That's how we roll.
Closed Thread