Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:52 PM   #41

Millennials are not particularly interested in automobiles. We might love them and all their history but they see the writing on the wall and are not unhappy with the prospect of cars without steering wheels or pedals esp if they are summoning it with their smart phone and don't even own one.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:53 PM   #42

What are u taking about, most new cars don't have a spare tire anymore.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by red0801 View Post
What are u taking about, most new cars don't have a spare tire anymore.
What is a spare tire?
Apparently they don't pull trailers.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:01 AM   #44

They don't pull trailers. Yet !!! Maybe one day.
As an aside my son who seems to think that an oil dipstick is an entirely optional entity got it into his head that I should lend him my f250 with my 4 wheel pop up secured in the bed so he could follow the Enduro comp mountain bike series. .......are u kidding me !!! U don't even know how or care how to take proper care of a gasoline engine and u want me to lend u my diesel.....how about No. I'll leave it to u in my will , that way I won't know what happens next.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:03 AM   #45

Changing tires, checking fluids, replacing wipers, bulbs and air filter are prerequisites of getting a license for our children.

If I can handle it, they'll learn what the extra pedal is for in cars without PRND... indicators.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:13 AM   #46

My son and I spent a lot of time working on his dirt bikes, including complete engine rebuilds and he learned a lot. He’s over 30 now and very rarely has to call a “guy” to fix anything. I’m not sure how, but we skipped over the tire changing lesson. He called me from college one day because he had to change a tire and it made noise when he tried to drive it. I couldn’t put my finger on it over the phone so I drove over 50 miles to find that he put the lug nuts on backwards. I didn’t realize it was the first time he changed a tire.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:31 AM   #47

I agree with everything after the first period but before that it is total hogwash!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:51 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yes. This. The old folks want to wag their fingers at my generation and younger but where do you think this crap came from?

So, I can totally relate to this. Mechanically and mentally- you’d be amazed at the things I can’t mentally twist in my head. My wife often laughs at some of my seemingly basic struggles. Those riddle-puzzles are hell for me, yet she’s yet to find one she can pick up and solve within a couple of minutes. Me? I can watch her and try it immediately after and I just don’t see it.

Lord help me if you give me something physical on paper and expect me to see/follow it. I’m the reason IKEA furniture has idiot-level instructions ... and I STILL mess it up.

BUT- give me a network topology and many component software system and I can mentally map it. I can see the communications between the layers. I can mentally map databases long before putting pencil to paper (or cursor to screen as it is).... perfectly theoretically normalized and then scaled back for the realities of performance.

I can make it work and be passably pretty.

I can’t make music or art.

Before you laugh at this poor kid, show him. And if he still doesn’t get it, I bet you there’s something he DOES get in a way that you can’t fathom.

Well said.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:27 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
I couldn’t put my finger on it over the phone so I drove over 50 miles to find that he put the lug nuts on backwards. I didn’t realize it was the first time he changed a tire.
I used to see that a lot more than I do now, being in the tire biz. Many vehicles now use a form of closed end acorn nut, so you can't put them on backwards.

My advice to parents, who may be raising our next caretakers, is if you are going to teach them "how" to change a tire...then please teach them where to safely jack up the vehicle since each one will have a different jacking point. I see a lot of vehicles damaged from using the wrong lift point(s). The vehicle owners manual will show the jacking points.

I also see many vehicles damaged by the inexperienced, when they get stuck and either try to get pulled out..... or pull out a buddy instead of calling a tow truck. They wrap chains around front plastic bumpers, control arms, sway bars, axle tubes, etc..... and do a lot of damage.

I'll never forget this one customer, who bent his control arm after connecting a chain to it, trying to help pull out a friend. He bent everything so much, and didn't have the money to really repair it. He would get anywhere from 7-10 days out of the tire before it was down to the wire. He kept us wiped out on a certain used tire size. We had several other customers make comments on this guys vehicle and how they got behind it on the road, with the tire being leaned so much. We would laugh and tell them he was actually a customer of ours and then tell the story of what he had done.

P.S. As red0801 pointed out, many vehicles no longer come with spares. I think around 30% as of right now. You may want to verify this with any new vehicle purchase, so you (or family) are not caught on the road without knowing such.

http://www.dontwasteyourmoney.com/mi...basic-feature/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:14 AM   #50
World Wide Wanderer

Different horses for different courses?

My daughter can change a tire no problem, she learned way back when she was in Girl Scouts and got a merit badge for it. I taught the course. My son can too, though he doesn't own a car or want to own one. He would rather just call AAA and wait.

My daughter lives in a log cabin in the woods with no running water 7 miles from the nearest cellphone signal and runs trail maintenance crews, she is the chain saw boss. My son lives in Boston and considers anything under 100,000 people uninhabitable. Both are productive tax paying citizens, she is 31 and he is 33.

In my family there are 4 siblings, I am the oldest and can do a lot of mechanical hands on things, I have one brother with multiple college degrees that has trouble getting the lids on and off jars. The rest fall in between.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
Old 01-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #51

That is funny!!! I had an Acura RSX type S 6 speed stick. Nearly brand new it had a scheduled maintenance and they sent a kid to pick it up. He didn't have a clue how to drive it but didn't say anything. I saw him bucking the car as he took off.

So I called the dealer and told them about it, they claimed he could drive a stick. I said just put him in another car with a stick and see how he does pulling iut on a small incline. I also told him I'd pick the car up myself when it was done. Went in to see the manager, asked him how the kid did, all he could do was shake his head.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #52

really???

Ahh, not like the good old days.

Had a piston get a hole burned thru the top in my first car - Volkswagen squareback.

Dad dropped the engine in the garage, said “it’s your car, figure it out”. Of course I had spent years doing brakes / swapping motors / etc with him before this point.

So borrowed a manual from a neighbor, bought a new piston, took it apart, replaced, etc etc.

Drove it for years after that.

Of course that was back during a time when you could still do that to cars.

Too much of a “disposable society” now. If it breaks, just throw it away and get a new one, or call someone and write a check.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #53
Handyman

Leave these kids alone. I own a handyman business and they make me a pretty good living.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #54

I have experience with kids and parents in the educational system. Parents have a lot of responsibility for how their kids turn out. It begins with teaching them how to act and knowing what are the expectations of the society they live in.

Those expectations are self reliance, personal responsibility, drive to start and finish tasks, learning and constantly improving, common sense, etc, etc. That's the parenting part. Teaching subjects like math, science, etc is the school's part. Unfortunately the educational system lost its mind and decided to take over the parenting part.

Parents are more then ecstatic to hand over their kids to a "system" to raise their kids. Why? Because they think it makes their job so much easier. Besides that if the kids acts poorly or gets poor marks they can pass all blame on to the "system". Parents don't see the harmful effects of being absentee parents, their kid's "buddy" rather then their parent, being too lenient, etc. They do finally see it once the kid is 18 or so and out of school with a poor education and few prospects and a bleak future.

Yes, it is the parents with few exceptions. They need to remember to take responsibility for their kids. Forget the buddy stuff and be a parent instead. Teach them the things a parent should and don't think for a minute it is the responsibility of anyone else. Show me a well adjusted and intelligent kid and I'll show you a responsible parent.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #55

X2. My kids always complain they are the only ones in the neighborhood who mows the grass, trims trees, has chores, has a teen job,... Why is that?
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

Old 01-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #56
Insert witty title here

I learned to change a tire by being stuck someplace with a flat with nobody to help.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 01-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #57

Geez.

I too can change a tire. But I also prefer to call AAA and wait.

So we're mad at a pile of kids that are smart enough to do the same thing???

I think kids are fine. If you don't, go program your own danged smartphone (that you, too, can't live without)!!!

I bet the ones that can't change a tire are also the ones that can't hammer out a horseshoe on an anvil, either!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 01-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #58
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There is no doubt we are not teaching the younger generation vocational skill sets.
Many programs have gone away from our schools and many parents seem to be too busy with their own lives to teach their children.

With that said, this isn't anything new.
I am simply amazed at the number of daily posts on this forum (and others) where someone has no clue about a basic problem/repair.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
Old 01-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #59

asquared, I must have failed somewhere down the line cause I never learned how to drive a "trailer"! LOL! I only know how to pull or push one.
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
Old 01-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yes. This. The old folks want to wag their fingers at my generation and younger but where do you think this crap came from?

So, I can totally relate to this. Mechanically and mentally- you’d be amazed at the things I can’t mentally twist in my head. My wife often laughs at some of my seemingly basic struggles. Those riddle-puzzles are hell for me, yet she’s yet to find one she can pick up and solve within a couple of minutes. Me? I can watch her and try it immediately after and I just don’t see it.

Lord help me if you give me something physical on paper and expect me to see/follow it. I’m the reason IKEA furniture has idiot-level instructions ... and I STILL mess it up.

BUT- give me a network topology and many component software system and I can mentally map it. I can see the communications between the layers. I can mentally map databases long before putting pencil to paper (or cursor to screen as it is).... perfectly theoretically normalized and then scaled back for the realities of performance.

I can make it work and be passably pretty.

I can’t make music or art.

Before you laugh at this poor kid, show him. And if he still doesn’t get it, I bet you there’s something he DOES get in a way that you can’t fathom.
Well stated Doug. And I could certainly use some help with my electronics!
Andersen hitch
Closed Thread