Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #1

really???

just saw a liberty mutual commercial
are kids really so dumbed down that they can't even change a tire...
sad world we live in
Old 01-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #2

Yes they are
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #3

If we as parents don't teach them what does one expect ???

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 01-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #4

When was the last time that you offered a young kid $5 to mow your yard. You have a lot of grief coming...
Old 01-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
just saw a liberty mutual commercial
are kids really so dumbed down that they can't even change a tire...
sad world we live in
Today's reality.

My neighbor is 25 and he asked if I knew how to install a doorknob because the one he had was backwards. He said the keyhole needed to be on the outside and his was on the inside. I started to laugh but went over anyway. He pulled it out of the bag and began to show me by holding it up to the door. All of a sudden he said, "Huh, I could have sworn I bought the wrong one but now it looks as though it is the correct one. I swear when I held it up the first time it was the other way."

After several minutes trying to explain it to him I figured it would be quicker to just go ahead and do it.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 PM   #6

This could be the never ending story. I say beat the parents for leaving us to raise them. LOL...
Old 01-16-2018, 10:00 PM   #7

My son was pissed when I told him that I would teach him how to change a tire instead of paying for roadside service.
He was even more pissed when he got a flat after not learning how to change the tire that day.
Lesson taught. Perhaps not learned......we will see. The invitation to learn how to change a tire still stands. As well as how to save money and jump Start a car.....
Old 01-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #8

We failed !!!!! We have no one to blame but ourselves..........

My kids are not wonderful but my youngest is 29. I taught him to drive on a stick, he changed a tire in our driveway at 16, because I made him. He got a 100% on his driving test he was the first in his schools history......... because I made sure he knew how............ He has never been in an accident.....

He got his masters degree and bought a reasonable house. Last month he paid off all his school loans. He still drives a stick he still owns his car he helped to buy new in 2007. He has done many home repairs on his own house including changing out his garbage disposal. He was given an outdoor table set which he recently refinished and it looks better that it did new.

Sorry I blame the parents not the kids..................... we failed..............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

My kids are not wonderful but my youngest is 29. I taught him to drive on a stick, he changed a tire in our driveway at 16, because I made him. He got a 100% on his driving test he was the first in his schools history......... because I made sure he knew how............ He has never been in an accident.....

He got his masters degree and bought a reasonable house. Last month he paid off all his school loans. He still drives a stick he still owns his car he helped to buy new in 2007. He has done many home repairs on his own house including changing out his garbage disposal. He was given an outdoor table set which he recently refinished and it looks better that it did new.

Sorry I blame the parents not the kids..................... we failed..............

Bingo!
Old 01-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:

My grandson will take a broom or a leaf blower out of you hands and do it. (10 years old). We are not done yet as a planet...
Old 01-16-2018, 10:08 PM   #11

Quote:

Yeah. I’m sure it was that easy without any problems.
My first 3 kids. Worked hard and wanted to learn They all have done well.

The 2 younger ones. Not so much. Same parents. Different kids.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:08 PM   #12

Poppycock.

Ask the next 10 kids you see that age if they could change a tire........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 01-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
My grandson will take a broom or a leaf blower out of you hands and do it. (10 years old). We are not done yet as a planet...
I haven't given up yet........ that's great ..........Our grandson is four so I am hoping our older son carries on with him but believe me I will be there too.... ......

It does take a village

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 01-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Poppycock.

Ask the next 10 kids you see that age if they could change a tire........
Depends on which 10 kids.......................: roflblack:

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 01-16-2018, 10:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
Yeah. I’m sure it was that easy without any problems.
My first 3 kids. Worked hard and wanted to learn They all have done well.

The 2 younger ones. Not so much. Same parents. Different kids.
Nothing in life worth working for is easy..................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 01-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Nothing in life worth working for is easy..................

I agree.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #17

This could turn into a rant thread but I do think that it is all about the parents, Both of them. Sure we have to and want to make their life better than we had it but wow!
I have asked my buddy's kids for yard labor help and offered $25 an hour. I got a lot of shrugged shoulders from them. I have since met a kid (35yr) that will come at a call after his day job and bust his butt for less. I expanded my TT parking pad by bringing in another 7 ton of grade 8. He was done shoveling and tamping in four hours. I do not make offers to my buddy's kids anymore.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #18

Funny all 6 of my kids know how. 3 girls 3 boys. Starts with the parents[emoji86][emoji204][emoji85]
Old 01-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #19

My son (20 years old) was making $26 an hour as a first year apprentice union carpenter working with me in Washington. free heath insurance. Anyone ever had Carpenters union insurance? It’s the best! All the overtime he wanted.
He quit. He said dad. I want to go make real money.........I was speechless.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:10 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
If we as parents don't teach them what does one expect ???
Yes. This. The old folks want to wag their fingers at my generation and younger but where do you think this crap came from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
Today's reality.

My neighbor is 25 and he asked if I knew how to install a doorknob because the one he had was backwards. He said the keyhole needed to be on the outside and his was on the inside. I started to laugh but went over anyway. He pulled it out of the bag and began to show me by holding it up to the door. All of a sudden he said, "Huh, I could have sworn I bought the wrong one but now it looks as though it is the correct one. I swear when I held it up the first time it was the other way."

After several minutes trying to explain it to him I figured it would be quicker to just go ahead and do it.

So, I can totally relate to this. Mechanically and mentally- you’d be amazed at the things I can’t mentally twist in my head. My wife often laughs at some of my seemingly basic struggles. Those riddle-puzzles are hell for me, yet she’s yet to find one she can pick up and solve within a couple of minutes. Me? I can watch her and try it immediately after and I just don’t see it.

Lord help me if you give me something physical on paper and expect me to see/follow it. I’m the reason IKEA furniture has idiot-level instructions ... and I STILL mess it up.

BUT- give me a network topology and many component software system and I can mentally map it. I can see the communications between the layers. I can mentally map databases long before putting pencil to paper (or cursor to screen as it is).... perfectly theoretically normalized and then scaled back for the realities of performance.

I can make it work and be passably pretty.

I can’t make music or art.

Before you laugh at this poor kid, show him. And if he still doesn’t get it, I bet you there’s something he DOES get in a way that you can’t fathom.
Closed Thread