Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Mod free 5er

Removing heat duct in storage area

The next mod I will be making today is removing this heat duct & pipe to make it a little easier to stow the sunscreens, bag chairs, etc. in the suspended rack. I plan on "boxing in" the area between the alum floor joists and making the connection over next to the steps. I am also planning on adding an additional heat register in the bathroom by boxing in one more area between the floor joists and moving the heat duct that empties into the storage area to this register and will add an adjustable outlet to be able to discharge hot air into the storage area if desired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00847.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	25551  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Great idea. I have two in mine.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The next mod I will be making today is removing this heat duct & pipe to make it a little easier to stow the sunscreens, bag chairs, etc. in the suspended rack. I plan on "boxing in" the area between the alum floor joists and making the connection over next to the steps. I am also planning on adding an additional heat register in the bathroom by boxing in one more area between the floor joists and moving the heat duct that empties into the storage area to this register and will add an adjustable outlet to be able to discharge hot air into the storage area if desired.
Be sure to place sheet metal or aluminum on the bottom of the flooring above. In residential HVAC using a cavity for Return Air is fine, but on the Supply Air side metal is required so as not to have any wood being a part of the duct system. Also that wire should not be within the ducting as well.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Be sure to place sheet metal or aluminum on the bottom of the flooring above. In residential HVAC using a cavity for Return Air is fine, but on the Supply Air side metal is required so as not to have any wood being a part of the duct system. Also that wire should not be within the ducting as well.
I plan on putting metal over the wood and removing the wire altho' I think it is a needless task as the heat duct itself is plastic, also no more heat that reachs this far from the furnace doesn't pose much of a fire problem.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
I plan on putting metal over the wood and removing the wire altho' I think it is a needless task as the heat duct itself is plastic, also no more heat that reachs this far from the furnace doesn't pose much of a fire problem.
I know what you're talking about. I'd be more concerned if the AC ran through it with a moisture problem but I know that's supplied over through the ceiling. I guess eventually it might dry out the wood and create a problem. 30 years down the road.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Discovered a concept unknown to Forest River and that is to build the alum framework for the floors, etc SQUARE!. Can't believe they can't even make a weld fixture that positions the floor joist and stringers parrallel and square with each other. 1/8" off in 26"? Unbelievable!!!

As for drying out the wood, no more forced air than what is flowing thru' these two ducts, it would take a year to dry out a single cup of water in these two ducts.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Discovered a concept unknown to Forest River and that is to build the alum framework for the floors, etc SQUARE!. Can't believe they can't even make a weld fixture that positions the floor joist and stringers parrallel and square with each other. 1/8" off in 26"? Unbelievable!!!
Square, Parrallel and Level aren't exactly their forte'. My dinette table sloped towards the wall. Cut 1-1/4" off the leg to make it level. Oval mirror was off center by 3/4". Return grille for the furnace 1-1/2 inch above floor on the left, 3/4" above the floor on the right. A simple piece of wood under it and it would be level to fasten it, then remove the piece of wood.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR