Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

School closed then and now

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

How true! Back in the 60's and 70's when we got 3-5" of snow it was no big deal. Now it's a Winter Weather Warning. IMHO we are turning into a society of wimps.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Some patchy ice left on the roads from the 4.5" we got Friday into Saturday. Guess what schools are closed again tomorrow. I agree, a little too much coddling. They will even delay or close school for single digit temps down here rather than leave it up to kids and parents to dress them appropriately.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #4

Winter, well, we prayed real hard for a snow day... There were no snow plows to speak of. LOL

I had to get into High School to experience air conditioning. We had it at home but mom was the only one that could turn it on, dad just stayed at work longer on hot days...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #5

Must be nice to be younger. I never had ac at home or at school. We had 55 air in the car. Flip the vent window backwards and pray a bee didn't get sucked in....

Very few snow days either. It was an adventure getting to school when it snowed. I enjoyed it, but then, no video games, no cell phones, no computers, money was worth something and gas was 30 cents a gallon (premium). The milkman delivered milk and it was in glass bottles, with cream on the top....

Kids today are woosies, so are parents.

I miss those days.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #6

If a new model of car came with those vent windows I would at the very least go look at it. That is probably one of the biggest misses the industry has made IMHO.

They are no good in the winter though...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
If a new model of car came with those vent windows I would at the very least go look at it. That is probably one of the biggest misses the industry has made IMHO.

They are no good in the winter though...
Sure they are. They assist your defroster.....

I still have them on my truck, it's a 97 Ford 350, 7.3 4x4, 4 door and it's my tow vehicle. No rust anywhere and no payment.

6 more years and it qualifies for Historical plates.

........and I'll have it in 6 years and it will still be my yow vehicle. Been through 3 campers so far.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #8

The only thing I recall about the days it snow or was real cold is we stayed inside during lunch, and played barbaric games like Dodge Ball, Tug-of-war and such in the Gym.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #9

In the old days, we walked to school, usually a mile or so. Nowadays they bus them across town. That's why they have so many snow days now.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

I remember one year, I believe the winter of '67, my family lived in the southeastern corner of Lake County, Indiana. The land was so flat the wind blew almost all of the snow off the fields and into the roads. The trees along the roads slowed down the blowing snow enough that it was 4 ft high and we could walk across the yard and cross over the fence without lifting a foot. School was open for those who could get there. It took my dad and the neighbors two full days to get the road cleared down to a 3/4 miles long field 500 ft from our house. The neighbors had a Case 4690 with 4x4 crab-steer and a large V-blade snowplow mounted to the front. They would hit the snowdrifts and the snow would fly over the top and stop the tractor, back up and do it again. Dad had to repair the mount a couple of times before they were done. Dad followed along with a tractor/loader with a snow-blade mounted pushing the path wider. The school-bus came through the field to pick us up once the way was cleared. It took the County crews 1-1/2 weeks to get to our road with an end-loader to clear the rest. Our road was always the last to get cleared. I'll never forget those days. It would take the bus an hour from our house to school on a good day.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #11
Canadian Member

Schools here don't close for winter storms if the snowfall will be measured in inches. There will always be a few teachers and custodians in. The buses may be cancelled if the private bus company thinks it will be too hazardous to run the back roads either in the morning or for the trip home. We live in town and my boys never got the day off if I was going into the office!

Snow here in Ontario isn't too bad. I'd hate to have to deal with the snow they get in the maritime provinces. Beautiful place for a summer home. Not so much fun when the snow flies.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Back when I was in elementary school my dad was stationed in MI. We never missed a day of school or even had a delay due to snow or cold. The buses had chains on the tires. We dug tunnels in the snow drifts near the bus stop and would hide from the wind in those.

I am trying to raise my daughter not to be a wimp but it is hard when they don't go outside for recess because the playground is wet or muddy or just too cold or too hot. I sent her out to play in the snow this weekend and she had a blast. I send her out in the summer heat to play but that usually doesn't last long (remember this is NC w/ heavy humidity/heat).
Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
That's not the worst of it....try sending your kids out in the snow without shoes these days and you'll end up explaining yourself to Children's Services. Also, I hear it's only uphill ONE way now.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:00 AM   #14

When I first started to go to Vt. to ski I felt bad for the kids as the school buses all had 4wd but that has since changed as it looks like the school buses are a private contractor. One time while there skiing we had a good storm with great powder and we were shocked to find out that school was closed because the bus co would not run, but you can bet everyone of those little brats found a way to get to the ski mountain
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #15

Our school corp has gone to computers for each student. Replacing most hard copy books. So this year there will be NO snow days. If it too bad for school each student has to check into on line class. School goes on. Hasn't been used yet.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Our school corp has gone to computers for each student. Replacing most hard copy books. So this year there will be NO snow days. If it too bad for school each student has to check into on line class. School goes on. Hasn't been used yet.

Russell
I like this solution for older kids but younger kids often go to places during the day where they may not be able to do this. ie my dd's after school program is at a local church. If they can get in they will be open to watch kids. My dd will go there for the day with no computer access.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #17

School closed then and now

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I like this solution for older kids but younger kids often go to places during the day where they may not be able to do this. ie my dd's after school program is at a local church. If they can get in they will be open to watch kids. My dd will go there for the day with no computer access.

In our school corp Ally every student is issued a computer. It may be an I-pad or something. I'm not sure how it works. I do know my two 11yr old grandkids have theirs in their backpack at all times.

Now if those units need wifi to operate that could be an issue as you say. I ll check with my daughter when she gets up.

Edit: So the I-pads that are issued do require wifi to fully function--many things can be done on them without a wifi connection.

School corp originally said they would see that those without Wifi would get it if they could not afford it ?? That hasn't been done. Cost restraints.

School says now that it is the students responsible to get to a library or such to get a connection. I'm not sure how that work if school is close for weather??

But I'm guessing there very few in our school district that don't have wifi.

So maybe a decent concept that will need some tweeting

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #18

Growing up in upstate NY, My mother was the bus driver....I hated when it snowed...It meant I had to get up earlier and help put the chains on the Bus... because Dad was gone plowing roads....
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:13 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
In our school corp Ally every student is issued a computer. It may be an I-pad or something. I'm not sure how it works. I do know my two 11yr old grandkids have theirs in their backpack at all times.

Now if those units need wifi to operate that could be an issue as you say. I ll check with my daughter when she gets up.

Edit: So the I-pads that are issued do require wifi to fully function--many things can be done on them without a wifi connection.

School corp originally said they would see that those without Wifi would get it if they could not afford it ?? That hasn't been done. Cost restraints.

School says now that it is the students responsible to get to a library or such to get a connection. I'm not sure how that work if school is close for weather??

But I'm guessing there very few in our school district that don't have wifi.

So maybe a decent concept that will need some tweeting

Russell

When my dd was in kindergarten the school's goal was to have a notebook/laptop of some type for every kid by the time my dd's class hits 5th grade. They have a year and half. I don't see it happening. The bigger concern here is the over crowding. I think much of the funds went to the new multi-classroom modular instead of laptops. The high school in the other hand offers some classes online to help with overcrowding issues. The technology is there, the budgets have to follow.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #20
Site Team

Uhhh, I'm thinking this topic doesn't belong in the joke forum anymore.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote