Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #1

Exclamation Shopping for a New Vehicle.

I'm negotiating on a new Escape with plans to use it as a toad. I've talked to a couple of different salesmen at different dealers and have what I think are some good prices. I asked about extra fees and have gotten different answers so I thought I'd throw this out here in the hopes that someone can explain.

I have an X plan which I was told at one dealer will save me "dealer fees" of about $600 but I have no idea what the "dealer fees" are for. I was told by another salesman there would be a title charge and something else that would total less than $200. This is in addition to the fleecing courtesy of the tax collector!

I mentioned dealer fees to another salesman and he acted like he had no clue what I was talking about. Another salesman said there is something called an "etching" insurance cost of $120 and that it would pay $2500 if the car was stolen and could not be recovered. This would be in addition to the regular insurance. It would also pay up to a $1000 for deductibles and would give me a discount for the regular insurance.

I know the dealers/salesmen play all sorts of games but this "etching insurance" was new to me. From Googling, I think it's etching the VIN number into the windshield which is supposed to be a theft deterrent.

For those that have purchased new vehicles recently, have you been charged for "etching" and did your insurance give you a discount?

I wonder if it would apply to the MH if the VIN was etched in the windshield?

I'm thinking it's just another way for the dealer to get sneak a few more bucks into the deal.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #2

as i understand it dealer can not add processing fees on x plan
etching discount would be up to your ins co if they want to give you a discount
never buy anything extra from the dealer it is usually a rip off
ask for a closing statement before you sign if you dont understand it take it to a lawyer
if dealer gives you any flack about an attorney revue run forest run
i have purchase car/truck on x plan and chrysler employee plan and always refused the add ons i can wax and fabric guard my own car
there was a time when your ins co would etch glass for you at no charge
now most body panels have the vin on them when they leave the factory
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote