Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #1

Unhappy Snow and the younger generation

Note by Site Team: The following posts have been moved to their own off-topic thread, as they were derailing and hijacking the OP in which they were originally posted in.

What a great way for some young man to make some cash
He could take his Snow Rake and head out !!!
Going door to door !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Going door to door !!!

Good idea!
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Going door to door !!!

I did when I was a kid. Snow days = $$$$ I have not had any kids knock on my door looking to make some cash. Do they not want money anymore or are their parents giving them everything they want.
Anyway years ago I worked at a trailer plant we had a storm with winds out of the east. The trailers with parts backed into the bays on the west side of the building had a huge snow load and the roofs and caved in. Not just a little dent but enough that parts had to be unloaded by hand no forklifts.
RobnCari is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobnCari View Post
I did when I was a kid. Snow days = $$$$ I have not had any kids knock on my door looking to make some cash. Do they not want money anymore or are their parents giving them everything they want.
Anyway years ago I worked at a trailer plant we had a storm with winds out of the east. The trailers with parts backed into the bays on the west side of the building had a huge snow load and the roofs and caved in. Not just a little dent but enough that parts had to be unloaded by hand no forklifts.
I think you know the answer to why there are no kids looking to work for money,,, like mowing lawns - raking leaves & shoveling snow,,, that would be child abuse according to many of these lazy Brats that are being raised these days !!!
Old 04-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

X2 good luck trying to find a kid willing to any work for money or just to be a good kid.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper70 View Post
...or just to be a good kid.
(sigh)

Maybe the issue is that all of you old fogies expect the worst and are looking for it?

I can name dozens of kids who are good kids, respectful, and hard workers.

And, if you’re really insistent that they’re just a bunch of dumbasses these days. Remember, kids are shaped based on the guidance they received. So that finger you’re pointing, maybe the 3 fingers pointing back at YOU might be more appropriate.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #7

Sorry to upset you ependydad. Maybe you could send some of those kids to my neighborhood. There has not been a single kid in our neighbor hood to do any chores for money for over 5 years at least. Same complaint from people I know in other neighorhoods.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:27 AM   #8

Thumbs up

My youngest son (23) during the last storm here in the northeast him and a buddy went out to shovel snow albeit with a snow blower also, did the neighbor across the street without asking as he was at work, I asked him why and he said do you want to work all day then have to worry about shoveling when you get home??? Then they headed out and ended up making around $400, I guess we raised him right.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
My youngest son (23) during the last storm here in the northeast him and a buddy went out to shovel snow albeit with a snow blower also, did the neighbor across the street without asking as he was at work, I asked him why and he said do you want to work all day then have to worry about shoveling when you get home??? Then they headed out and ended up making around $400, I guess we raised him right.
RIGHT ON !!!
Old 04-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #10

Also when my oldest was at home he would work our neighborhood shoveling snow, but I told him our house got done first, considered it the rental fee for using my shovel
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
(sigh)

Maybe the issue is that all of you old fogies expect the worst and are looking for it?

I can name dozens of kids who are good kids, respectful, and hard workers.

And, if you’re really insistent that they’re just a bunch of dumbasses these days. Remember, kids are shaped based on the guidance they received. So that finger you’re pointing, maybe the 3 fingers pointing back at YOU might be more appropriate.
You have one thing right ependydad,,,
It is the way they have been raised !!!
We raised our children many years ago !!!
They are all caring hard working adults !!!
I wish anyone that is raising kids today GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #12

My son did all the same things to earn spending money including having a morning paper route. I don't understand why ependydad has resorted to name calling. No one called kids dumb***** like he stated. I just said there are no kids in my area going around looking to EARN spending money anymore. Why all the rage.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:37 PM   #13

Wish I had never gotten involved in this discussion.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:45 AM   #14
Always Learning

30 " of snow in WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper70 View Post
My son did all the same things to earn spending money including having a morning paper route. I don't understand why ependydad has resorted to name calling. No one called kids dumb***** like he stated. I just said there are no kids in my area going around looking to EARN spending money anymore. Why all the rage.
My apologies if I read more into your post than was meant.

I took offense in that I thought you switched from frustration that kids these days aren’t out hustling to shovel (or help with other chores for money) to something about not finding kids who are good (“or just be good kids”).

(I also got my heckles up with my “you old fogies” comment that I’ve heard this (here and elsewhere) many other times- how kids these days are generally inherently bad. You didn’t say it here but I jumped on it from past posts.)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #15
Site Team

I spent 6 years with high school millenials, in helping them acquire job experience.
I can state as a professional, that I have never seen a more lazy, spoiled and selfish generation in my life.

You wouldn't believe the kind of demands these kids made on the jobs they would only do, the pay they expected and how they expected to be treated. With NO work experience of any kind, not even mowing lawns or babysitting.

They have been raised in an educational system that babied them, along with their parents. Schools no longer have shop classes because skilled labor jobs are looked down upon. No more work experience programs.

I fear for the future of America.[emoji22]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #16

Well said Dan !!!
Old 04-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I have to agree with bikendan, the vast majority of young kids are lazy spoiled and selfish. Does that mean ALL kids... absolutely not. But when you have 30 applications go through your employment doors a week and MAYBE 1% of those applying really WANT to work, the numbers show... vast majority.

Sadly, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #18

Every OLDER generation says things like this about the YOUNGER generation. And yet the world keeps functioning. At least it is easy to tell which generational category you are in
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Also when my oldest was at home he would work our neighborhood shoveling snow, but I told him our house got done first, considered it the rental fee for using my shovel
Such a mean old man you are becoming!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #20

Here, in the Washington, DC Metro area, all of the jobs like shoveling snow, cutting grass, McDonalds, etc. are done by (mainly adult) Hispanics who are not afraid to work and, for the most part, have families to feed. I respect them for doing this stuff, but at the same time, my kids have always had a hard time finding the types of jobs kids have normally done because Hispanics with families are a more attractive choice for an employer, so many kids around here can’t get a job if they want one.

Bruce