Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Spock (Leonard Nimoy) passes away.

Sad news for all the Star Trek fans:
Leonard Nimoy passes away at 83 - AOL.com
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm bummed . . . .
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

During the making of the movie “The voyage home” I was stationed on the USS Ranger CV-61, (made up in the movie to look like the USS Enterprise CV-65).Only because it was a nuke ship and we were not.In this part of the movie Chekov and Sulu were to recover some reactor power from the engineering room that I was assigned in.Amazing how they make it spectacular with only lights.Spock, Chekov, Uhura, was the main characters and we got to work with them for two weeks (two months of preps).Grins and handshakes, meetings and, well I will forever cherish the time spent with him.. Good bye good friend!!!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
During the making of the movie “The voyage home” I was stationed on the USS Ranger CV-61, (made up in the movie to look like the USS Enterprise CV-65).Only because it was a nuke ship and we were not.In this part of the movie Chekov and Sulu were to recover some reactor power from the engineering room that I was assigned in.Amazing how they make it spectacular with only lights.Spock, Chekov, Uhura, was the main characters and we got to work with them for two weeks (two months of preps).Grins and handshakes, meetings and, well I will forever cherish the time spent with him.. Good bye good friend!!!

Very cool memory! Thank for your service .

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2010 Ford Escape
loumichelle735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

Live Long and Prosper.
RIP
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #6

Another person today was Jerome Kersey for you basketball fans. 52 years old born and raised here in my home town Clarksville VA., had a knee op. last week and got a blood clot, went to his lungs. He helped everyone in my little Town of 1100 people. May he also RIP, he will be missed here.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Live Long and Prosper.
RIP
x2. Beam him up, Scotty!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it's a sad day for fans...and I read this on Facebook and thought it very interesting:

In many interviews since the beginning of Star Trek (1966), Leonard Nimoy has recounted the origin of the Vulcan salute, which he introduced into the series. In one such interview (with The A.V. Club in July 2010), he explained, "The gesture that I introduced into Star Trek, the split-fingered Vulcan salute, we'll call it... that came from an experience -- I'm going all the way back to my childhood again -- when I was about 8 years old, sitting in the synagogue at high holiday services with my family. There comes a moment in the ceremony when the congregation is blessed by a group of gentlemen known as Kohanim, members of the priestly tribe of the Hebrews. And the blessing is one that we see in the Old and New Testament: 'May the Lord bless you and keep you; may the Lord cause His countenance to shine upon you', and so forth. When they give this blessing, you're told not to look! You're supposed to avert your eyes. I peeked, and I saw these guys with their hands stretched out - there were five or six of them, all with their hands stretched out toward the congregation - in that gesture, that split-fingered gesture. Some time later, I learned that the shape that hand creates is a letter in the Hebrew alphabet, the letter shin, which is the first letter in the word Shaddai, which is the name of the Almighty. So the suggestion is that they're using a symbol of God's name with their hands as they bless the congregation."
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
You were very lucky to meet and work with them.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
That's a great story. When I was younger, I remember building a model of the Enterprise Space Shuttle, and it had something similar to this in the box. I've always liked this pic of the cast (and Gene Roddenberry but sans William Shatner) being invited by NASA to the rollout of the first shuttle.

The Enterprise was named after the one on the show, but only after a big push by the fans. Most people don't know that.

Shuttle Enterprise has a 'Star Trek' legacy – Light Years - CNN.com Blogs

P.S. Woo-hoo for the 70's era and the bell bottoms

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #11

What a great pic!! Thanks for sharing.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote