Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
JudiVan n Gus

Question Television ?

We are new to RVing and I really would like to know how you campers are watching the television? do all parks have internet or wifi? best to stream off of the internet at the parks or to start buying DVD's. We have a Jensen system and it is crap along with the speakers ! I am curious as to what have you all done to improve you watching abilities and with what equipment? what speakers are recommended. I am not to tech savi so maybe I should go to a shop that can do all of the install? What is your opinions,

PS I really don't want to spend the $$$ on a satellite system or antenna's. We don't plan on doing any boon docking, will mainly stay to parks.

Thank you in advance for all of your responses.

judivan
16 FR Heritage Glen
06 F250 6.0 turbo
No Trips Yet !
judivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #2

Some commercial parks have cable not any state or national parks that we have stayed at.

We use our cell phone hot spot to stream Netflix or Amazon Prime when we want too.

We also have a small collection of DVDs.

Very rarely will any campground wireless be able to stream. Most of the time it's unusable for surfing.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #3

Portable dish, Direct TV receiver from home, and practice.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We carry DVDs for the kids, and I load up the phones, tablets, etc with digital movies for both them and us. I can AirPlay them to an AppleTV, directly connect them to the TV with their appropriate cables.

Rarely do we watch actual TV when camping. Instead our weekly shows are just recorded on the home PVR and we catch up when we get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-04-2016, 10:35 PM   #5

Roku and external HD. The Roku can act like a smart tv (wifi to youtube, netflix and hulu). The HD can hold movies, shows, etc.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:22 AM   #6

Television ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Roku and external HD. The Roku can act like a smart tv (wifi to youtube, netflix and hulu). The HD can hold movies, shows, etc.

X2 on the media device, I use a Western Digital. I fill the portable USB hard drive with hundreds of movies and tv shows. Rarely ever watch tv over the air but tv is very capable of getting a few channels depending how far were camping. My experience with the cable is it didn't work. I ran a cable from known good source from home. There was nothing available but snow. I suspect with the new digital cable services you need a converter box to receive.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73

2012Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #7

Hi dish network tailgater. 15 min setup. you have to have a clear line of sight to the south to pick up the satellites sd and hd reception. If you are already a dish network subscriber it costs $7.00/mo to add to service if not 20+ the extra channels you would like to have . What is nice about this system you can pay for only month or months you want and shut it down. The next time you want to use it you call them up and restart the tailgater. To not have a contract on the tailgater you must buy it this is the only way you can have a month to month service.
There are a lot of posts on this subject. Go to the top of the page to search type in what you are looking for. You will find that there are a lot of different view points and information that you will have to wade though and figure out what is right and wrong.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #8

Cable won't work from home, but works in campgrounds just fine.

We have a Tailgater with DVR that costs us $70 a month for our programming package and HD. We like having the local news where ever we are ( the west is vast and in most places we go the antenna is worthless) and it is worth it to us for the four months a year we travel. Nothing to pay the other 8 months. We use just antenna and DVR at home since we are close enough to Phoenix to pick up lots pf channels.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
television