Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #1

Time to find higher ground

Well looks like our camping season may be changed, as the Great Flood of 2011 approaches us, it is time to look at higher ground. We are going to move the TT to a friends house that has hook ups on the other side of the Mississippi River and 110 feet higher, and will keep it there until things return back to a (somewhat) normal state. This will give us a comfortable place to go should we need to evacuate. They are saying high water will be with us through July. It is a great feeling to know that we have a place to stay that is ours, during a disaster and know that we can move it where ever. We'll see what happens.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #2

Flooding

Good to know you have a place to go to ....Hoping that things get better for ALLof you in that area of the country...
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #3

i'm in the extreme NE section of La. according to my gps, we are abt 180' above sea level but, at this point, the mississippi river is not much lower than that. although, this area has never flooded, i'm keeping an eye on it as well. hope it works out for u and u don't get water in ur house.

jim WB5JAZ
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #4

Good luck out there. This is becoming all too regular. I assume your home is in danger?
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Married View Post
Good luck out there. This is becoming all too regular. I assume your home is in danger?
The house is in moderate danger. It is hard to get true answers, the rumors are running crazy. There is a fair chance that there could be water at the house. Many say the water has not made it as far as our house, but that was in 1927 and much has changed. I'm not about to take chances. At the request for voluntary evacuations, we will be moving to the TT on high ground. I do have responsibilities to the Parish as I am the Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) Emergency Coordinator, but radios sure don't work well in the water! I will feel much better when my wife and parents are on high ground.

Thank you all for your concerns. I'll try to keep y'all up on our status on occasion.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #6

Good Luck and hopefully your safe haven will just become a get-away and not become a necessity!
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote