Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Mod free 5er

Tires from a trusted dealer?

When we bought TOWTA's old 96 Caddy last fall, the man told us that his mom had just had 4 new Michelin tires put on just before she passed in 2010. She got the tires from the local dealer as she had patronized for years and years. I took the car in today to have the tires rotated and re-balanced. Looking at them, 3 of the tires were date coded 11th -38th week of 1998 and one was 23rd week of 2010. 4 new tires will be here tomorrow. Just goes to show you that you need to check every tire's date yourself at the time of mounting them. I would not have believed this of this particular tire shop as they were lifelong friends of the lady.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
When we bought TOWTA's old 96 Caddy last fall, the man told us that his mom had just had 4 new Michelin tires put on just before she passed in 2010. She got the tires from the local dealer as she had patronized for years and years. I took the car in today to have the tires rotated and re-balanced. Looking at them, 3 of the tires were date coded 11th -38th week of 1998 and one was 23rd week of 2010. 4 new tires will be here tomorrow. Just goes to show you that you need to check every tire's date yourself at the time of mounting them. I would not have believed this of this particular tire shop as they were lifelong friends of the lady.
It's hard to fathom that there would be 12 years difference (2010-1998) in three of those tires compared to one. Unless, you still have the ticket with the DOT numbers on them...... A more likely scenario is that the seller "thought" his mom put on four new tires in 2010, but it was only one tire.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
It's hard to fathom that there would be 12 years difference (2010-1998) in three of those tires compared to one. Unless, you still have the ticket with the DOT numbers on them...... A more likely scenario is that the seller "thought" his mom put on four new tires in 2010, but it was only one tire.
The dealer has been in business a long time and no doubt had the 3 stored in the racks and only needed one. The 4 tires look and measure all the same tread depth wise @ 9/32". Car was stored inside an air conditioned garage it's entire life and never driven in the rain until we got it.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Site Team

There's likely a sales ticket somewhere, that has the DOT numbers listed. It may be in the glove box, unless the son removed it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #5

Understand what you mean about "trusted" tire dealers. The oldest tire dealer in Moab is noted to sell "old" tires, but the majority of people have no idea that tires have a date code.
My first few years living here, I had to travel to Grand Junction.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Understand what you mean about "trusted" tire dealers. The oldest tire dealer in Moab is noted to sell "old" tires, but the majority of people have no idea that tires have a date code.
My first few years living here, I had to travel to Grand Junction.
The man really is a good guy, just a 1 man shop with an occasional helper and has been in business for years and years. He is as honest as the day is long, but, with that being said, he is not the sharpest tack in the package and is probably not even aware of dates on tires. He and the lady were lifelong friends as well. Just one of those things that happen. BTW, the 4 tires still have 9/32" of tread left. Only problem is 3 of the 4 are 16 yrs old. All 4 will be gone tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

Wow thats a crazy date spread!!

One of the dealers I worked at threw out a set of timed out (5 years old acording to dot date) Michelin tires.
I threw them on my commuter crapalier and ran them about 4 years (about 90k miles) till they wouldn't hold air, as it was leaking threw the sidewalls.
I know, I probably shouldn't have ran them, but Momma would a been driving a new Escalade, if something bad did happen
Point to it, the dealer got rid of the aged out tires, even if I did snake em from the trash pile.

Millertime- Sabre Handler
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #8

Tire date does not always denote when a tire needs to be replaced. If a tire is used and driven it normally will not deteriorate as fast as an idle tire; like that hanging on the back of a Jeep or Hummer. The flexing of the tire helps to keep it lasting longer.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Tire date does not always denote when a tire needs to be replaced. If a tire is used and driven it normally will not deteriorate as fast as an idle tire; like that hanging on the back of a Jeep or Hummer. The flexing of the tire helps to keep it lasting longer.
These 4 tires were definitely not driven. Car had 54,560 miles on it when we got it in Sep 2013 and had been driven 200 miles from 2010 until then. Now the car has 62064 miles on it, so the tires will have a grand total of around 7,700 miles on them when we take them off today. What a waste, but ...
Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
These 4 tires were definitely not driven. Car had 54,560 miles on it when we got it in Sep 2013 and had been driven 200 miles from 2010 until then. Now the car has 62064 miles on it, so the tires will have a grand total of around 7,700 miles on them when we take them off today. What a waste, but ...
OC, will you snap some pics of the full DOT codes with your phone camera, when they remove them. I would like to see them. Thanks

Old 06-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

TOWTA now has 4 new Michelins on the junker. Made a major improvement in the handling and ride of the old junker. The Man upstairs was surely watching over us as we had just made 2 trips, one of around 1600 miles and another of around 900 miles in the last 6 weeks. Well, at least we can breathe a little easier for the next trip of about 2,500 miles to Trenton, MO and down to Lonoke, AR and back.

Tags
dealer, tire, tires