Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 02:23 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

That was an ugly one.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:52 PM   #82
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Today I learned why air traffic instructions have to be read partly back and cannot just use the single word Ok.

583 people lost their lives on that in 1977 when one 747 jet tried to take off while another 747 jet was taxiing on same runway directly towards it
I lost a college friend who was a flight attendant in that incident. She filled in for another crew member who had become ill while the flight was on its first leg to NYC.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
I lost a college friend who was a flight attendant in that incident. She filled in for another crew member who had become ill while the flight was on its first leg to NYC.

That’s horrible.
This incident is studied in great detail even today.
100 percent human error.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:32 PM   #84

yep, whether it's the 'I'm the boss!' metality in the cockpit, or someone in a 'hurry' to get their flight complete before they 'run out of hours', it's never a good outcome. Also, ASK a question if you are not COMPLETELY sure of what someone said, AND re-confirm back to the same person, ESPECIALLY when there is fog, or it is dark.

I learned today that: our former President, Gerald Ford, was born as Leslie Lynch King Jr., as was never elected as Vice President, or as President.
MrPalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:37 PM   #85

Read back errors are common, but hear back errors are worse.
If I read back what I heard, and it is wrong, we are counting on atc to correct us.
They read us the riot act about listening, they need to do the same.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #86
Site Team

Last night I learned that it's possible to pop the hood on a 2013 Ford Fusion by sticking a long screwdriver in through the grill at 2 specific points.

Friend of my got stuck on the side of the road with an over-heating car, a broken hood latch and no money to call a tow. I had to go rescue him.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:55 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
That’s horrible.
This incident is studied in great detail even today.
100 percent human error.
Yes mostly correct, but cockpit tapes reveal that both pilots keyed their mikes at the same time and the PAN AM pilot only heard a 4 second squeal on his radio. During that 4 seconds, the other pilot stated that he was still on the runway.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #88

I learned that Memory is the second thing to go. I don't remember the first.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:53 PM   #89
Site Team

Today I learned that there is a website that will tell you exactly which stars and planets you can see on any given night in pretty much any location. I just found that the really bright "stars" I was looking at are Jupiter and Saturn.

Timeanddate.com
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:49 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Today I learned that there is a website that will tell you exactly which stars and planets you can see on any given night in pretty much any location. I just found that the really bright "stars" I was looking at are Jupiter and Saturn.

Timeanddate.com

Try the STARGAZER app, I have it on the IPAd, it overlays the stars on an image from the IPad camera to show you just exactly what you are looking at. It is a pretty neat app.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:27 PM   #91
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW
Try the STARGAZER app, I have it on the IPAd, it overlays the stars on an image from the IPad camera to show you just exactly what you are looking at. It is a pretty neat app.

Or Star Map on Android. Point the camera at what you're looking at in the sky, even though it does not use the camera as such.

Ray
Old 09-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #92

Today I learned...that powering my Furrion observation camera by running TV lights drains my TT batteries. Good thing we figured out the night we stayed at a KOA instead of the following night when we stayed at a Cracker Barrel with temps in the 40's. I guess my TV does not supply much voltage. I could have run the generators but we are seasonal with occasional excursions so still learning the mobile life.

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 25LB
2021 Silverado 3500 HD CCLB
2018 Escalade ESV
2009 CTS-V
mpouls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:22 PM   #93
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpouls1 View Post
Today I learned...that powering my Furrion observation camera by running TV lights drains my TT batteries. Good thing we figured out the night we stayed at a KOA instead of the following night when we stayed at a Cracker Barrel with temps in the 40's. I guess my TV does not supply much voltage. I could have run the generators but we are seasonal with occasional excursions so still learning the mobile life.
Something else must be going on here. There should be no connection from the brake, tail and marker lights to the TT battery, these are all wired directly to the cord that plugs into the truck.

There is a separate 12v connection in that cord that does go to the TT batteries. This does not supply a lot of power but should keep the batteries up with lite use although sometimes this needs to be enabled in the tow vehicle
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:07 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
Something else must be going on here. There should be no connection from the brake, tail and marker lights to the TT battery, these are all wired directly to the cord that plugs into the truck.

There is a separate 12v connection in that cord that does go to the TT batteries. This does not supply a lot of power but should keep the batteries up with lite use although sometimes this needs to be enabled in the tow vehicle
IDK? I didn't run the lights the next day and batteries were fine after 12 hours. Don't even know where to begin to troubleshoot...

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 25LB
2021 Silverado 3500 HD CCLB
2018 Escalade ESV
2009 CTS-V
mpouls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:18 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post

X2. There should be no connection between your clearance lights and your battery unless someone added a way to connect them, some have done this mod to run their clearance lights at night for "effect". If they were connected to your TT battery, they would always be on.
I would be looking for something else going on that could be draining TT battery. Wish I could tell you where to start, but will need more information to even venture a guess.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #96
54 Years, 13 RV's

Start by pulling all of the fuses out of the converter. (Take a picture first). Wait a reasonably time, then if no drainage, put 1/2 back in, then swap the other half in. Weed the problem out by process of elimination.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:32 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Timeanddate.com
NASA can tell you when you can see the International Space Station. It’s pretty neat.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/index.cfm
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:43 PM   #98

This is a great tool as well since it will alert you.
https://www.n2yo.com/login/iss-notifications/index.php
Old 09-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #99
D W

Today (yesterday), I learned that a large percentage of folks who put out a call for help don't want any help at all.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:02 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Today (yesterday), I learned that a large percentage of folks who put out a call for help don't want any help at all.
Or just the opposite. One call for help for something small ends up hearing about how their entire life is in the toilet and how everything needs fixed. But I do agree, some people do only want to complain, not make things better.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote