Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #1

Toy hauling after open heart?

Two weeks ago I had a serious heart attack that resulted in open heart for 2 by passes and removal of a tumor from my lft ventrical.My driveing restrictions (6 wks) and lifting/moveing no more than 8# for 12 wks) are going to make towing and setup of the 315wp very difficult at best.In addition,my left shoulder rotator is broken in many places and is bone on bone makeing that arm pretty useless.My actual question is,has anyone else been back on the road after something like this and in what time frame? My wife can do all the hook and un hook,That was the first thing she learned when we got it,but we are both wondering just how practical it would be to try and use the rig this year at all? Maybe just sell out now and start over next year if we even desire to do so?
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:22 PM   #2

Toy hauling after open heart?

12 weeks would only take you to May, season would just be getting started. Just don't take your toys and do relaxing trips. If your wife can unhook and hook up. Go light for twelve weeks.

But hey I'm a person that my wife got upset at because I was determined to mow the lawn and have a cookout the same afternoon after being released from hospital after an allergic reaction to wasp sting. So maybe I am not one to give advice. Glad to hear your on the mend.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:06 AM   #3
Just as confused as you

X2. And while you are recovering, just camp where other campers are. If you need help with something don't be afraid to ask. People will always do things you or your DW can't.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:34 AM   #4

I had the same operation 2 years ago a 2 way by-pass, SORRY to hear about yours. It took a good 12 weeks for my chest bone to start to heal, DO NOT pick-up anything over 10 lbs. Did you start rehab yet, warning they might try to put you on this machine that is like a table bike that you push with your arms sitting down, Don't do it just say NO it will move your chest wires. I wouldn't give up camping but wait like the Dr. says 12 weeks if you heal fast. The stationary bike is the best for you. If you go to a gym to use one buy a pulse monitor that you wear on your figure , you need to keep your heart rate below 95. Give it time you will feel better once that breast bone heals. Keep that pillow with you, coughing will hurt. You should start to feel better in about 6 weeks. Don't push it. You shouldn't drive for 30 days. Hope that helps you a little, just take it easy.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #5

Trbomax, hope for a speedy recovery for you,I had the pleasure to meet & talk to you at the Goshen Rally last year! Like already stated,other Campers will/can help you " Set Up",just don't take that "Mule" with you! Youroo!!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #6

I had double by-pass surgery in Sept 2001. I had all winter to recover but we started that next summer camping again. In March of 2016, I had my left knee totally replaced and went through rehab in March and April. My wife has had back surgery in Jan of 2016 and went through rehab. After our rehabs we started pulling the 5er again and travel all through the spring, summer and fall camping season ending up at the Gulf Shores for a month in 2016. We are planning our next trips now and plan up ending our camping season on the east coast in the fall.

We are both in our mid 60's and plan on camping at least until we cannot drive anymore and our driver license cannot be renewed. We just drive a little slower and less miles a day now 60 MPH and 300 to 350 miles a day.

Good luck and you just need to slow down a little. Don't stress out on the little things and everything is a little thing.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #7

I had a triple by pass oct 17 2016 did some rehab in dec. and early Jan didn't complete left Mich last week of Jan for Lakeland Fla got here Feb 1 still short of breath aand tire easily . sounds like you will have tougher time with shoulder good luck to you
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #8

Thanks for the encourageing advice!.I dont have any pain except where the sternum wires are and that feels like theres a crowbar in there at times.The fact that only my rt arm works good and I'm left handed is kinda a bitch though!We do have a family trip over to the sand dunes at mears (anual trip) and Im haunting the forum for the ralley ticket sales.We useually go to manatoulin island for a 10 day thing with old friends(been doing that one foralmost 30 yrs now!)in late august.Maybe the best thing is just to make the reserves and cancel if we dont like how things are going.The hot-shot week end runs are probably out though.My attitude is still in the toilet though,I guess I have to work on that.Good thing is that the tumor came back bening!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #9

At the age of 54, I had quadruple bypass surgery on October 11, 2006. I had reservations at the wife's favorite campground November 11, Veterans Day which we were able to go. At the time, I was towing a 35' Sandpiper fifthwheel. I took my time and was able to set up and enjoy the week. I too had limitations but with the wife's help, we pulled it off.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #10

Good luck. That sounds painful as hell, and feel lucky as hell, I avoided that late last year, having to have a couple stents put in before the heart attack hit and then a few weeks later a valve replacement (thanks to a nasty infection; endocarditis). Both basically outpatient surgery.

My suggestion is to take it easy and do what the doctors say. You can miss a few months camping knowing you will have years to catch up.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Good luck. That sounds painful as hell, and feel lucky as hell, I avoided that late last year, having to have a couple stents put in before the heart attack hit and then a few weeks later a valve replacement (thanks to a nasty infection; endocarditis). Both basically outpatient surgery.

My suggestion is to take it easy and do what the doctors say. You can miss a few months camping knowing you will have years to catch up.
Do the Mal's travel with you? I already had 5 stents,that was what I was hopeing for this time,but it was too bad for that ,plus I had the tumor and a tear in one chamber wall.